Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throwing Technique Naming Conventions (Read 5113 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Throwing Technique Naming Conventions
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Anyway - since video clips are currently thin on the ground, it's not a biggy. But I've decided to go with the plane of the pouch and arm relative to the body at the point of release.

So we got overhand, underhand and sidearm.
That's what can be done without getting too darn complicated :-) 

Otherwise I could throw in single rotation, half rotation, multi rotation, narrow grip, wide grip, centred grip, cocobolo grips, acrobatic, static, mobile, rapid fire, frontal, side on and lord along knows how many other types of throw we could come up with if we wanted to categorise every single chuck of  a rock :-)

Speaking of which tech stuff - any chance of your sidearm release against goliath video clips heading my way in the near future ?
Youtube hosted is no good to me :-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 3:32pm

Quote:
Speaking of which tech stuff - any chance of your sidearm release against goliath video clips heading my way in the near future ?

I used an underhand sling cast in the video.....despite what little arm motion is displayed.  I think you'll find the term 'underhand cast' is the one most generally accepted by those of us who use it.  The term 'Sidearm throw' is misleading as it focusses on the arm's apparent 'throwing motion', which orientation is rarely, if ever, parallel to the radius of the ammo's traversing arc.  Such as it is, my particular cast in the video is somewhere above a strict 270 degree vertical arc yet sufficiently below 0 degrees to, in my view, warrant the natural perception of an underhand cast.

This particular clip can be downloaded in one of several codecs by pasting the following URL...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5648598808576881556&hl=en

At the following website:

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

and selecting the 'google' website in the right menu box

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 9:48am

Cheers for that a useful website :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 4:42am

[quote I used an underhand sling cast in the video...
[/quote]

Tech Stuf, You used an undehanded technique to belt poor old Goliath!? No wonder he didn't know what he was in for. Grin

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 8:12am

That is worthy of one hardy....

Buddum bum.

*Cymbal Clash*

Underhanded.....indeed!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:34am

Looking round the various bits of the whole site you swiftly come to the conclusion that no two people call the same style the same name.

The only general consensus I can draw, based on what people have called their own throws - is:-
If the pouch is released above the shoulder it's called overhand and if the pouch is released below the shoulder it's called underhand.

Which would be great if there weren't about a half dozen other names in constant use as well (quite often describing wildly different throws).

It doesn't help that no two people seem to perform the same throw exactly the same way.

I think it's always going to be a very subjective thing. And remain a constant bemusement to newcomers :-)

I'm sticking to my three cetegories, it's what makes sense to me :-)

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #21 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:32pm

I went back and was reading the wiki about throwing techniques and I think it may be in order to consider some editing of that area of the wiki based on the things we're learning from putting the DVD together.

What C_A just said should be cannonized and newbies should be encouraged to strictly consider the video clips as a "variant" (C_A's word) of the form as demonstrated by the particular slinger doing it.  They should also be encouraged to start with the demonstrated throw, but to feel free to experiment with different aspects of the throw to both achieve their peculiar objectives and feeling it fits comfortably with natural throwing style (what Dale said about getting the pouch where you want it and moving in the right direction to blend right into your natural power throw).  What Aussie Slinger did with sv's, DT's and/or Mark Weaver's is an excellent example of the process.  Start with what's shown and create a variant which is a very worthy example of the same throw but achieving different personal objectives.

And if we video document all of those emerging variants... who knows... maybe the day will come we DO need a more complex naming convention.

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 3:47pm

Quote:
What C_A just said should be cannonized
Fire in the hole! ...  **BOOM**

Oh, no, wait, you meant "canonized".  Sorry.  Just couldn't resist, I'm in a strange mood today.  Somebody's going to slap me down soon, I just know it...

GunsOnWheels, I agree with you.  Each of us has his own personal variation of any slinging style, based on the body God gave us, as modified by ourselves by diet and exercise (or lack), and on what activities we've already trained ourselves in.  Slinging is a very flexible sport, I do not believe there can ever be any Olympic-gymnastics kind of judging.  Some Balearic-style judging of style is possible, but mostly it is results.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 5:18pm

Quote:
Slinging is a very flexible sport,

Now that is a statement worthy of being shot out of one of George's guns on wheels!

As we are, most of us, true slinging fans.....a sport which most will admit, is highly unconventional, perhaps naming 'conventions' above and beyond those general descriptors in use since the site's early days are as yet, unwarranted.

Methinks organizing a bunch of maverick types, might be a bit like trying to herd cats.  Overhand, Underhand, and sidearm should cover just about every meaningful technique.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #24 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 5:20pm

but then a good can of tuna make's herding cat's quite easy

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #25 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 6:12pm

er... I really betrayed my other hobby with the "cannonized" versus "canonized"... It just  wouldn't be right if someone didn't rise up and bite on that one.

I too like where we're at with just three descriptions.  And the "figure eight" has its own category but is a subcategory under "overhand" right where I and apparently C_A think it belongs.

I still think for the sake of the neophite who wanders into the slinging tent it would be wise to give them the verbal intro: "all slinging styles start with either a held pouch or a free hanging pouch".  Just saying that much is sufficient  and is easily understood and subsequently easily identified as they watch the style clips.

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 6:27pm

I like it.  Two simple variation for the start.  Good beginning; simple.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 6:58pm

Quote:
but then a good can of tuna make's herding cat's quite easy

Considering that I just had mine virtually high stepping to 'Cabaret' after opening a can of sardines....

I suppose I should have seen that coming.

Huh

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 7:53pm

I'm satisfied with over, under, and side arm and all the simplistic vairiations. Mostly interested in what you can hit and the style of the sling. But im simple

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 1:12pm

my last post in the dvd thread replies to much of the above :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)