Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aussie's Slinging Style (Read 5476 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Aussie's Slinging Style
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 1:09pm

Here is AussieSlinger's two videos, in Windows Media Video format (it's what Windows Media Player wants) and in some Microsoft variation of the AVI format.

MVI_0441.wmv
, size 675 947 bytes.

MVI_0446.wmv
, size 1 047 757 bytes.

MVI_0441.avi
, size 671 410 bytes.

MVI_0446.avi
, size 1 052 992 bytes.

Let me know if any of these work for you!  I tried them from Firefox and from Micro$oft IE; both browsers passed the WMV files off to Windows Media Player, IE also did this for the AVI files, but Firefox tried to display them itself and it did not work.

If anyone knows of a good freeware conversion tool, please tell me!  The tool I used (Internet Video Converter) was clumsy to use, and rather limited in what it could do.  Still looking for a good free tool.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:17pm

Thanks Dale,
I could now see it.
All four worked for me, but the second one each time was a close-up out of the movie, not the whole screen.

Thanks Aussie,
For making the video, and trying with the second version, it did not do the trick, but still.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 5:30pm

AussieSlinger,

You and Wanderer both wonder why I think of your style as a modified figure-8.  The essence of the figure-8, to me, is having the pouch and rock (or whatever) behind me and moving away from the target, as I start the final snap of my throwing arm.  The extra twirl in front of me, switching to in back of me, is just something to get the pouch in that position.

Ralph Craig's style (actually, the style he was taught by those two gentlemen at the atlatl gathering) is similar in some respects.  You twirl the sling slowly over your head, and then you do a throwing motion when the pouch is directly behind you.  Again the pouch is away from the target and moving, but this time it is at head height instead of waist height or lower, and the plane of rotation is horizontal rather than vertical.

I am coming to think that all the good slinging styles will have a characteristic similar to these two styles.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

riverwindflutes
Tiro

The best slings in life
are free!!!

The Pinelands of New Jersey
Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 6:28pm

I am not able to view the video file either, dosen't seem to work with Windows Media Player
Don A.

"Use what talents you possess: the forest would be silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best".
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 6:41pm

That is what I am using to look at it.  ... What version are you using?  I am using version 11.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #20 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 5:38am

Dale,

Thanks very, very much for your work in reformatting my videos. I was bitterly disappointed when both Willeke and my "countryman" Jurek (I am of Polish extraction) were unable to see them. Who knows how many others tried but did not say. As you can guess, computers and their intricacies are not my strong point. Half the things you mentioned above I have never even heard of. Time to update my skills.

As far as what to call my style someone, but I can't remember who, mentioned a "Half Fig. 8". The path of the pouch is exactly the same as the last half of a Fig. 8, so "half fig. 8" seems good. I'm not really fussed by names, so long as we can see exactly what is involved that's what counts to me.

On the down side, probably the speed at the start of the final acceleration thrust is lower, therefore release velocity would be correspondingly lower. But this higher initial behind the back velocity is to my mind the only advantage of full Fig. 8, other than perhaps its spectacular appearance from a spectator's point of view. "The more you spin the less likely you are to hit anything", says Grandfather. Doubtless there are those whose accuracy with Fig. 8 is perfect but all that movement is bound to alert game. I want to be able to clobber(Australianism?) something before it sees it coming. At least that's the theory; I will probably never hunt anything bigger than a rabbit.

Thanks again,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 8:31am

right - I can see we're going to have  a problem here. Because to me that's simple overhand. It's what I use if I want to get a very flat trajectory or actually hit anything.

It ain't what I would consider to be figure 8 and any throws that look like that are going into the 'overhand variations' category.

Ps:- nice sling pouch ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 2:47pm

Long, long ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I tried to come up with a classification scheme for sling styles.   I divided the styles into four classes (overhand, underhand, side-arm and backhand).  But I kept the "traditional" name, if there was one; otherwise I named the style after the person who introduced it to us.

It did not catch on.  Perhaps the current confusion about why I think your style is a figure-8 variant, gives a clue about why my scheme did not catch on.

I think the folks currently trying to re-name all the styles, will have better luck.  Their scheme is directed toward helping someone find the style in a video catalog of styles that they are working on.  Being able to point to a video, and say "That's how I do it," is going to be a lot more productive than written descriptions of the styles.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #23 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 3:28pm

Thank you Dale and C_A... I think we agree and we will get there.   When I first hooked up with slinging.org I asked the question about my throw "Is this the Figure Eight?" and I had reviewed the video clips off the home page.  The question elicited quite a bit of discussion indicating by that fact there is NOT unanimous consensus about this.  If we make "figure eight" the pure figure eight and not try to apply it to Dale's statement about 'getting the pouch to the position and going in the direction where the slinger can use a normal throwing motion to propel the stone out of it'  then it all works.  I believe Dale's statement is actually applied to every and all throwing styles.  When I found mine (pre-slinging.org days) I was (and still am) amazed at the elevation of enjoyment slinging took on for me.  I want all newbies coming in to discover the power (I was eight) and the accuracy (not until I was 41) that slinging can be when blended with "your" throw before you discovered the funny looking pouch attached to a couple of cords.   I was thrity three years finding that so I'm a little passionate about helping others get it quicker.

Live long... by slinging...  and prosper!
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:36pm by Gunsonwheels »  

George N

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:01am

LKH9 wrote on Apr 21st, 2007 at 9:51am:
Hey!!!! I used a similar style before! Grin

What style do you use now and why did you change? Answers to any questions like that will probably assist C-A in his compilation work.

I swapped from Greek style because:

1. I find less horizontal dispersion of the shots,

2. The pouch rotates all in the same plane, like a shot from a trebuchet.

3. I have some arthritis in my right elbow and a vertically down final thrust causes less discomfort.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:12am

hang on - what are we calling greek style then ? If not what you're doing in your video.

I'm too confused.

so I've decided to class throws based on their release point.
Which gives me three easy to identify categories.

Overhand, Underhand and Sidearm.

Oh yeah and Tint :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mark
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #26 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 12:08am

My computer opened the video in quicktime, and it worked fine.

Looks like a lot of possibilities from the starting stance.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 1:13am

I once had a topic called greek overhand. That is the style I described there! It really similar to yours, Aussieslinger. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:56am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1177121040/15#25 date=1177503146]hang on - what are we calling greek style then ? If not what you're doing in your video.

I'm too confused.

so I've decided to class throws based on their release point.
Which gives me three easy to identify categories.

Overhand, Underhand and Sidearm.

Oh yeah and Tint :-)  [/quote]

It's your naming system so you classify as you see fit. All I mean is that I changed from exatly the same as SV where he holds his right hand adjacent his right temple and swings the pouch out to the left so it rotates in essentially a horizontal plane. I hold my RH over my head and swing the pouch down behind my back so it rotates in as close as possible to a vertical plane.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)