Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aussie's Slinging Style (Read 5547 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Aussie's Slinging Style
Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:04pm

Here is a video of my slinging style. I think it may be the same as Gunsonwheels but verbal descriptions are always hard to follow.

http://www.slinging.org/movies/siedlecki/MVI_0441.MOV.

(Thanks to my daughter Tasha for the filming and to Chris Harrison for uploading the file. I finally understand how the system works now.)

PS Another view fom the LHS

http://www.slinging.org/movies/siedlecki/MVI_0446.MOV
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007 at 7:59am by Aussie »  

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Aussie's Slinging Style
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 1:58am

AussieSlinger,

That is the figure-8 style, reduced to its absolute minimum!

I worked on a set of variations of the figure-8, once.  More wind-up (for a variation that would be acceptable to our Balearic friends for their contests), and less wind-up (trying to find out what the irreducible core of the style was).  The core of the style turns out to be, getting the ball (or stone or whatever) behind you, but moving.  Then whip your arm up and over and your target is toast.  Just like what you do.

Nice video!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 2:52am

Thanks for your appraisal, Dale. I was a bit hazy on how to post videos before but have another now which shows a rear view. To me this style is just so simple and natural. I feel that artificially modifying styles just to meet someone else's idea of what is correct is highly counterproductive. We should judge only results, ie. can you hit the target with sufficient force to effect a "kill"?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 3:24am

I can not see the movie. Which player should I use?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 9:51am

Hey!!!! I used a similar style before! Grin

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 12:37pm

Willeke,

It is a Quicktime movie; in Internet Explorer and in Firefox it just displayed in the browser.  Do you get an error message or does it just fail to do anything?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 1:04pm

I get a white page, no player starts at all.
My windows media player works as does my real player.

Willeke

PS, both are the newest version I could get for free, both improved last week.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 4:45pm

I would love to watch the footage, but alas, I am not able to see it too.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 5:24pm

Sorry my friends, I am really disappointed that you cannot see the video.  Cry

Dale, is there someway to change the format to make it work for everyone?  Undecided

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 6:59pm

Nice style.
Looks like it would be a good hunting style thanks for sharing Aussie

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 12:14am

Identical to mine except I put in another single full rotation... but after seeing the video I am wondering why...???

A great video and a wonderful addition to the DVD... 

I guess I have never understood the "figure eight"... after looking at the various GIF's and video clips I thought it began with dropping the patch in front of your body and waiting for gravity... and waiting... and waiting... to me it seems like it takes forever.  Aussie's patch/pouch is immediately accelerated by the cord tension and wrist/arm motion.  Based on what Dale says I guess mine too is figure 8.  I hope the DVD will eventually have all the several variants of that bad boy.  It would be great to see the different ways of getting to...  the fundamental aspect of getting the pouch/stone into a position where a normal throwing motion can work with the arm extension of the sling to exploit the full potential  of the extended thrower's "arm".

Again... great video...  My personal thanks to you and the several contributors

George N

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 4:56am

Gunsonwheels wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 12:14am:
I guess I have never understood the "figure eight"... after looking at the various GIF's and video clips I thought it began with dropping the patch in front of your body and waiting for gravity... and waiting... and waiting... to me it seems like it takes forever.

When I do the fig-8 I do not wait for anything. My right hand (with the cords) hangs down at my side, my left hand holds the pouch in front of me, the cords are under tension. The moment I release the pouch I pull my right arm back. Else the pouch would hit the ground. So I am accelerating right from the start, too.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 6:12am

Thank you for your kind comments, Gunsonwheels.

The video was taken at "casual throwing speed", so that viewers can catch the action. When I'm really trying to "murder it" the speed is somewhat faster. I very much hope that someone finds something they can use in it to further their own slinging.

Frankly I was surprised when Dale suggested the style qualifies as Fig. 8. To me it seems to be missing the essential Fig. 8 element of the initial rotation on the RHS and the crossover to the LHS  from which (I assume) the style gets its name. My style drops the pouch immediately into the behind the back position. It's really just Dave Taylor's Greek style with the plane of rotation of the pouch brought around to as close to vertical as possible. I find this reduces the side to side error and allows me to better use my stomach muscles for the final acceleration phase, whipping my arm forward and down.

I have been working on a full Fig. 8 and can get the pouch to travel in the desired path without wacking myself in the process but as yet the release velocity is no better than my normal style and accuracy is chancy

Many thanks to Dave Taylor,  Mark Weaver and Tint whose videos I have watched countless times to get the finer points of how it's done. I don't want to ignore the work of Nwmanitou, whose video I only just discovered, and others who have posted equally instructive material it's just that it's harder to find not being in article form. We need to get these hidden treasures out from the dross of dated posts and out where they can be seen.

That's why I think Curious Aardvark's DVD compilation of videos of slinging styles is such a fantastic project. It will distill into one definitive "volume" all this wonderful material that comes across in dribs and drabs. And not only described verbally, but we will be able to see it!!!!

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 9:04am

When I saw the video I immediately thought Greek Style, so I was a little surprised when Dale talked about fig-8. I see his point, but I had to watch a few times before I realised he was associating Aussie's style with fig-8 because of the plane. I then went and looked at how I was throwing with my approximation of Greek Style and it looked a lot closer to Aussie's than David Taylor's Grin -

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 10:42am

That Greek starting stance is very flexible.  You can toss the pouch up, for a quick underhand cast; you can drop it in front of you or behind your back for overhand casts; you can toss it to the left (if you are right-handed) for a helicopter or Ralph Craig style throw.  It is no wonder that David Taylor likes it.  So does Hondero:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)