Hello from France (Read 5792 times)
Tirechaille
Tiro

Frondeur par principe

France
Hello from France
Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:08pm

Hi everybody,
I like history, especially the Middle Ages, and tried a few weeks ago to know more about the weapons used at those times... And I discovered slinging.org ! Which I found interesting not only for its historical stuff, but also for its articles on how to make one's own sling...
I think I'm a real "sling-addict", now. I can hardly go out without my best sling (half braided twine, half leather). I bet my wife will soon doubt whether she's still with an adult (by the way : I'm 37).
But thanks to your site, I understand I'm not the only one to be passionate...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Hello from France
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:26am

Welcome!  Another country represented in our community!

Do you know of a television show called Thierry la Fronde?  It was broadcast from 1963 to 1966.  In the Netherlands it was called Thierry de Slingeraar, according to one of our members who lives there.  There is an article about the show in Wikipédia, at .

I cannot read Français so I do not know what it says...  Sad

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 5:10am

There's too an article in english!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thierry_La_Fronde
The show was dubbed into english and shown in Canada so you might get an old copy from somewhere...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:22pm

The English Wikipedia article translates the name of the show as "Thierry the Sling."  I think it should be "Thierry the Slinger".  "Sling" is the weapon, "slinger" is the wielder of the weapon.  In French, does "la Fronde" denote the weapon, or the person using the weapon?  I would rather ask someone who speaks the language, than consult a machine (the automatic translator services).

Thanks!  Merci!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tirechaille
Tiro

Frondeur par principe

France
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 4:46pm

Salut,

The English for "Thierry la fronde" is actually "Thierry the sling".
In French, "Thierry the slinger" would give : "Thierry le frondeur".

Sling => fronde
Slinger => frondeur

Voilà !

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 9:14pm

So the English translation is in fact correct.  That's good.  Thank you!

Now, I need to go find the topic where we recorded the words for "sling" and "slinger" in many different languages, and make sure that French is represented.

Merci!

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 6:08pm

Hello Tirechaille,

wellcome to the slinging enthusiasts! Don't worry whether your wife might think that you're a child again. I am 40 and my wife knows since 3 years that I am a child - at least in respect of slinging.

In which region do you live? Is there a slinging tradition in France? I remember from history that "fronde" was the name of a very active conspiracy against Louis XVI. Such a name normally is choosen only with a certain background. At the time of Louis XVI the sling wasn't of any importance to warfare any more. So the name "fronde" may have been adopted for other than practicle reasons.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Tirechaille
Tiro

Frondeur par principe

France
Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 8:57pm

Hello funda iucunda

I come from the center-west of France. I live in the region called "Touraine" - famous for its "châteaux de la Loire"...

As far as I know, "La fronde" was a revolt which almost turned to a civil war in France. It was at first a complaint against taxes raised to finance a war against Austria. This movement was then taken over by noblemen. "La fronde" started under the reign of Anne d'Autriche, who ran the country instead of Louis XIV, who was too young.
The name of this revolt was probably chosen by comparison with the sling... Used by humble people, easy to hide, and not as efficient as modern weapons !

Nowadays, the word "fronde" has still two meanings in French : sling, and revolt.

I don't think there is a real slinging tradition in France. I know the sling was used by the Gauls, as well as by the Germans - I read somewhere that J. Cesar mentioned it. I suppose it disappeared on the battlefields when the crossbow was invented : its main advantage was that anybody could use use it, without being trained, contrary to slings or bows. More recently, the sling was sometimes used during the first world war, to throw grenades.

But I never heard you could sling in a club ! It has always been considered as a weapon for kids or peasants, and it isn't seen as smart as archery... It's a pity.

How about you ? Are people fierce slingers where you come from ?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 5:40pm

Tirechaille,

It is interesting, how words take on new meanings.  So the title of that television show actually contains a pun: he was a slinger, and he was a rebel!  That double meaning does not translate to English (and I do not know if it translates properly into Nederlands).

Thank you!

How are you doing with the sling?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 1:32am

It does not translate into Dutch as double meaning, and maybe therefor it was translated as "Thierry the Slinger", not as "Thierry the Sling".

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 2:53am

I did not think it would.  Puns do not travel well.  Each language has its own set of puns, and if you translate a pun from one language to another, all you get from your listeners is a blank stare.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 1:23pm

[quote]I know the sling was used by the Gauls[/quote]

I suppose most of what I know (not sure 'know' is the right word here :-) about french gaul comes from asterix. Don't think there's a single sling in any of the asterix books.

Not exactly an academic historical series of texts I realise, but the romans always looked authentic (ah hem, you'd better stop now I think lol)

Anyway welcome to slinging web - any chance you can video yourself slinging and send me the video ?  (I have to ask as people aren't exactly volunteering footage in droves)
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tirechaille
Tiro

Frondeur par principe

France
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:56am

Hello you all,

Don't worry : even if I like Asterix, I don't consider it as a reliable source for historical research  Roll Eyes !

As for my slinging style, eh... It will be hard for me to send a video : for security reasons, I prefer to be alone and far from any house when slinging  Undecided. Thanks to that, my neighbours and their windows still stand.
I'm still a beginner ; I think the movement that suits me the best is side-armed / overhand. I find it more accurate.

I will probably post a photo of my favourite sling one of these days. As soon as I undestand how to embed a picture  Wink!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 11:31am

If you have the picture on internet somewhere, you can use the img tags, ( click on the thirth? button above the text entry window and you see something like [img][/img) with all brackets square) Place your url inbetween the tags.
If you do not have your picture on the www, but have it on your computer, use the attach, just underneat and to the left of the text entry window.
To the right of the entry bar is a button that allows you to search in your computer.
This is the easiest way, but just one picture per post. (You can make one picture of several, but please keep it compact, some people stilluse phone in connections.)

I look forward seeing your sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tirechaille
Tiro

Frondeur par principe

France
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:33pm

Thank you ! I thought you could only attach pictures from a web site...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)