Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Durability of cordage question. (Read 1255 times)
jml11220
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Brooklyn, NY
Durability of cordage question.
Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:50am

I'm wondering if anyone knows the science of this as opposed to anecdotal evidence.  I know if I have one strand of 18# masons line it can hold 18 lbs of weight hung in a stable manner without any kinking knots tied in it.  It can also hold 1.8 lbs of weight in a shock load.  Now if I take 3 strands it can support 54 lbs of weight or a 5.4 lb shock load.  If those same 3 strands are braided they can hold even more than the 54 lbs though. 

First, how much more can they hold, and secondly how do you figure on the number? 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Durability of cordage question.
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:45am

Umm, keep adding weight till it snaps.
Then work out the calculation. Always much easier if you already have the answer - that equation could then be applied to future briads.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:05am

jml, you could also "google" rope specifications.

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:09am

If you want to test it yourself, you can also put a fish scale on the braid/rope/string whatever.  Then pull until it breaks(a come-along is handy for this).  Be aware of backlash so you don't get whipped, and wear eyeprotection.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:30pm

I know some people who love questions like this, and have a sensible answer (or three different ones if you are not lucky) you find them on this forum: http://www.igkt.net/sm/index.php

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)