Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battle of Masada (Read 3110 times)
fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Battle of Masada
Apr 16th, 2007 at 2:00pm

I am watching History International, and there is a show on about the battle of Masada. They just mentioned that the Romans had Syrian and Arab slingers, and that the Hebrews had slingers as well. It also briefly showed how deadly they are, and were used as a mobile, high accuracy at close range weapon. They did not define close range, but I assume it was in comparison to the siege weapons they had in the camps.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Battle of Masada
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 5:59pm

Look in the ancient author Josephus. He gives a description of Masada and the battle

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Re: Battle of Masada
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 7:35pm

Probably, the distinction between slings and arrows on the one hand, and spears and javelins on the shorter end of the ranged weapons.  N/M ballistas and such for now, though the onager was sort of a megapower staff sling.  Arrows were pretty accurate to between 200 and 300 yards, generally fired in a high arc, not flat like at a target.  Slings were the same, but we know they could outdistance arrows.

Remember that the armies then fought in massed groups.  You didn't have to aim at a particular person, just hit in the crowd to do your damage.

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)