Send Topic Print
southampton sling (Read 5524 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
southampton sling
Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:36pm

This is a picture of the southampton artifact. The curator was kind enough to send it to me. He would like our opinion on it.

DSCN1971.JPG (540 KB | )
DSCN1971.JPG

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: southampton sling
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:45pm

I think we can whip up a fair copy add some string and give a show to the curator of how it works.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
southampton sling
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:37pm

back side

DSCN1974.JPG (560 KB | )
DSCN1974.JPG

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 4:40pm

Certainly says sling to me ... but then I'm not familiar with early shoes

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 5:19pm

The cuts don't look as symmetric as I would have imagined. Maybe it is a pouch that was cut in a haste?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 9:19pm

I think it is a sling pouch.  The apparent asymmetry is the result of photographing an object that is curled in an odd way.

It looks to me like one cord was attached with ... my memory fails me.  There is a knot that is used to attach a line to a flat, flexible object like a sail, a tent, or a piece of leather.  What is the name of that knot?  Perhaps the cords were attached using the holes at either end, until one hole tore through.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 10:12pm

Dale wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 9:19pm:
It looks to me like one cord was attached with ...

ABOK Ashley Book of Knots Exclaim
1434 double sheet bend
1461 triple sheet bend
1860 strap hitch   AKA Larkshead in kite world

Are all candidates ... I frequently use 1434
Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 8:43am

I have requested info from the curator about how it was found, etc. Anything about it's history.
  I have also been loaned a book put out by the Mary Rose trust on life at that time (1545) which is what this has been dated to. This will be interesting.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:23am

well it looks like a shoe tongue to me. No holes, no obvious signs of any cords habing been attached and the square cut left hand saide definitely says shoe to me.

It doesn't look like the picture we were basing all the other opinions on at all.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:16pm

FunSlinger wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:51am:
slingbadger, regarding the photo's....I may or may not be the only person accessing this forum via dial-up (56K or slower)

I am often using a 56k modem, too, and I would also be happy if photos are scaled down to a web resolution (72dpi) instead of using the print resolution that your camera gives (600dpi or even more). (That doesn't apply to this thread only, but to pictures in general).

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 2:44pm

maby we could solv this by using thumbnails? showing smaller picture by default, and if someone want's to have a closer look let him click on it and have it full-size.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 5:50pm

sorry, but my computer knowledge is quite limited, (plus, you try typing with 2 inch claws) If anyone would like to help with the modifications, I would have no objections

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:36pm

Looks like a sling.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 6:19am

Yep pic was way too dark. I've loaded funslingers pics into a photo editor and turned the gamma way up and yep I stand corrected :-)
Holes there, is definitely a crude sling pouch.
No reason for those holes in a shoe tongue.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:38am

CA, if your screen is very dark even at full brightness you can find the voltage screw at an electron cannon (yep, CRT only) - with that one you can make it as bright as sun Cool (though it won't live for long like that).
But beware, there are two other screws for focus, so adjust with display turned on, so you know what you are doing.

HIGH VOLTAGE
, use proper tools and equipment. Do this at your own risk, don't say I haven't warned you Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)