Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NYC Native, and new to slinging. (Read 1168 times)
jml11220
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Brooklyn, NY
NYC Native, and new to slinging.
Apr 14th, 2007 at 2:17am

It all started on Easter Sunday when I saw a History Channel show on King David.  I have never been a particularly studious man when it came to things biblical, so I never pieced it together that the David and Goliath David was the King David of Israel who was the Michaelangelo David (Yes, you may point and laugh).  On that program though they have a segment where two Israeli marksmen are using cotton slings to shoot at a ceramic bust of a man's head on a 9' pole to show David's shot.  I was amazed at the potential power of the sling, and researched how to make one.  That took me to this site, and the tutorials.  I've already braided my first sling, a simple golf ball chucker that's short, but effective.  I am making another now, and I think I like this hobby. 

I am an avid martial artist, and I hope to combine my new fascination with slinging with my already wide knowledge base of the arts.  I am also a paintball player, and I think a 30 ball mortar-like sling is in the future for scenario game season. 

I hope to be active here.  I'll post pics of my slings as I make them.

Jarod.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2007 at 6:00am by jml11220 »  

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: NYC Native, and new to slinging.
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 3:08am

Welcome. Nice to have another New Yorker on board. There is a tremendous amount of information here. Take your time and look around. We will try to answer any question you might have.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 3:49am

I saw your photo of your first sling.  Dan Bollinger's instructions?

I wish I'd seen the History Channel special, it sounds like they actually had somebody that knew how to use a sling.  Most presentations I've seen, some guy pretends he knows what to do as he twirls it round and round and round and round and ... and then they cut to a shot of the target and someone off-camera throws a rock at it.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

jml11220
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 6:04am

This show was pretty good about that.  They had a lot of steady cam shots showing the shooter, sling, load, and target all at once.  The two marksmen even tag teamed the bust for the final shot, and almost simultaneously struck the target.  It was impressive. 

As far as my sling, yes, it's Mr. Bollinger's design.  It's simple, but effective, and I like that.  I just finished a much longer synthetic sling of the same design.  I'll post pics of it once I get a chance to shoot it and make sure I like it.  The feeling of a mason's twine sling is nice.  very smooth release.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)