Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"One and a Half Counter" Throwiing Technique (Read 625 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
"One and a Half Counter" Throwiing Technique
Apr 13th, 2007 at 4:58pm

I was just studying again Lynn Ballard's sketches of the figure eight from the 1985 Mother Earth News.  I still cannot understand if, when in figure "B", you want the sling to be coursing in the described arc of figure "B" (just behind the left forearm) you do not start the throw by releasing the patch/stone into the arc at that position (in the sketch) with a rearward release from the left hand (in the direction of the arc vector)... it's going to end up there anyway so why the dropping in front of the body...???  This is the reasoning that got me to the 1 1/2 counter in the first place.

Maybe I'm just trying to be critical because as I am trying to learn it after having figured out the above and using that version (the 1 1/2 counter) of it for years, trying to learn and do the figure eight seems somewhere between very awkward and just plain stupid... and I apologize to all you who do it so skillfully and well (I've gone back and looked at the videos and the GIF - and am amazed).

Also with the 1 1/2, which has a stretched chord release and immediate windup, there is NO opportunity for the stone (or other of a myriad of other objects) to move in the patch... it is forcefully being held there at all times either from the left hand hold or from the chord tension of the windup.

I would really like to be able to learn and teach the figure eight but as of now "we ain't gettin' it done".  I am figuring I can/will only be able to show them your videos...  I guess I really am an old dog (as in "no new tricks").

Thanks for letting me vent...........

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: "One and a Half Counter" Throwiing Technique
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 7:22pm

Oh, yes!  Lynn Ballard's article was among the first information about slinging that I ever read (the very first being Samuel's account of David's little tiff with Goliath), along with Jim Burdine's web site which led me HERE.

Now that I know how to do the figure-8, Mr. Ballard's sketches make sense.  But when I was trying to learn how to sling, those three sketches were insufficient.  I never could figure out how he was doing it.  You have already seen the animated version of Johnny Shumate's
figure study of Nwmantou
; the original sketches show the technique in nine steps.  Figures 4, 5 and 6 correspond to Ballard's figure "B" and make it clear that the sling is passing behind one's back.

I have played with variations on the figure-8 as it was portrayed by Nwmanitou and Mark Weaver.  One variation sounds very much like your 1 1/2 counter technique.  I start in something like Hondero's "ready" posture (like the slinger on the old Greek coin, or look at
his avatar
) but with my arms both pulled back as far as I can instead of slightly in front of me.  Then I let go of the pouch and simultaneously  pull back (to my right) with my right arm.  It drops behind my back, then swings up and forward and I release.  If I tossed it a bit to the left, instead of just dropping it, I think I would be closer to your technique.  If I tossed it harder to the left, and moved my body like a baseball pitcher, I would be close to
David Taylor's
Greek overhand or Greek sidearm techniques.

On the other hand, written descriptions of our techniques are sometimes quite misleading.  We need to see videos of each other, or meet and sling together...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: "One and a Half Counter" Throwiing Technique
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 12:35am

It sounds like you may be releasing the stone after less than a full rev of wind-up... that so???  I release the patch/stone and rotate approximately one and a half revs... the first feeling the mass and the last half the power-on portion.  Yeh I got to buy a camera and all that before I can get my video in... I'm going to a big city tomorrow to do some shopping.

George N

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15)