Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Received my Aussie Sling today! (Read 1074 times)
wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Received my Aussie Sling today!
Apr 13th, 2007 at 4:41pm

Ow... sunburned now.  It's about 90F+ outside, and I just came in from throwing 5 dozen tennis balls(ok, I threw a dozen tennis balls 5 times).  I'm hot and sweaty, but it's cool.
Thank you so much to Aussieslinger for the pouch!!
I don't know what is considered good for a first time slinger.  I had some(half dozen?) shots that went off at about ten-o-clock(12 being dead forward) and most went around 12 to 1 o-clock.  I tried to throw left-handed, and got three shots to go more or less forward before I gave in.  I kept dropping the tennis ball out of the sling behind me.  Not throwing it, just it would drop out.  So left-heanded I need to work on.
Right-handed, I got about half to go around 22 yards, and more or less straight forward.. within 20 feet of each other at any rate, a great deal falling in at a ten foot 'target' area.
Tennis balls seem to be frustrating to sling.  Maybe it's the arms I made out of silk, or maybe it's the tennis balls.  Going out to pick them up AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN was the worst.  My knee is bugging out on me, so I quit after 5 dozen right handed throws. 
Neat.. Dude.... totally cool.  I might go try a heavier ball(still a 'safe' object, just heavier) later on.  Right now, drinking fluids.. hoping not really sunburnt.
Thanks guys!
Theresa

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Received my Aussie Sling today!
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 5:18pm

Wolfy,
You are doing wonderfully great.
Most of your balls going forward would be good, with in a 90 degree range better, and you get most between noon and the end of lunchbreak  Wink

22 yards for tennisballs is not bad either. You will improve with training, and with ammo that has better weight and surface. But I have been slinging little balls, about golfball size but softer, and 22 yard is about my range for those, was still after a year of slinging. Now I sling what is available whereever I sling, and I have seen that with the right stone I get a better range, still notthing to brag about......but lack of training and lack of willpower might be the source of that.

I think you are already beyond me in range, and might even be better in targeting too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 7:58pm

Wolf-hound,
    So you are learning both right-handed and left-handed?  At the same time?  You are much more ambitious than I was!

I often go to a local park, stand on the pitcher's mound on the baseball field, and sling toward where a batter would be standing.  Even after two years of slinging, sometimes my casts go as far as ten o'clock to two o'clock, when they all should go directly toward 12 o'clock. You are doing well!

There is a gadget that you can get at a pet store, that might help your knees:...
The Chuck-It is designed for throwing tennis balls for a dog (without getting dog slobber all you your hands) but it will work very well for picking up balls without bending.  (The photo was provided by Willeke)

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 11:23pm

Well I did say MOST went 12 to 1 o-clock.  I was surprised at it.  Maybe it was beginner's luck.  There's a big field across from my shop I'll get to practice in tomm, less spaces for balls to hide in too. 
Dale... omg.. I love you.. you are so brillant.  I've seen those ball-throwers.  I compared them to hei-lei(spelling?) sticks in fact, when someone mentioned seeing someone 'slinging' tennis balls for dogs.  When questioned, they said they were using the stick thing.  I however never even considered using one to PICK UP the stupid tennis balls.  My knees thank you already.  I'll have to go into town to get one(of course I could order one online from the Pet supply company.. but then I have to wait for it to arrive).
I can't wait to start throwing some serious ammo!  Tommorrow is the harder heavier balls(After another round with tennis balls) to see how it runs.
Question....... my sling 'arms' are braided silk yarn and a little stretchy.  Is this bad or good? I can change them out for non-stretchy easily if it should be more non-stretchy.
I'm going to attempt to teach myself left-handed at the same time so I don't get too hard-wired into slinging right-handed.  However the first attempt today was not promising.  In fact.. it was comical.  I also need to get some sunblock! LOL.  I sunburned my left-armed tattoo!
Wolfy

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 1:42am

Hi Theresa,

I didn't notice your post as I read your PM first.

Couple of things,

First tennis balls are definitely a little on the light side so if you have a safe place to sling and feel confident use heavier balls if you have them. Another option is to make a small hole in your tennis ball and half fill it with rice. Then super glue shut the hole. The performance is spectacularly improved but they no longer bounce and if you throw them against a hard wall they will split after a few throws.

Second, non-stretchy string like paracord is generally considered best but slightly springy is fine too. Just make sure you have an adequate finger loop on the retention cord and a knot or even a small bead to grip on the release cord. Some slingers don't use these but I find it difficult to time the release accurately unless there is something positive to grip. (Refer to Chris Harison's article.)

Good slinging!

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 2:59am

"If I have seen farther, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants."  My wife found and bought a Chuck-It a couple of years ago; we use it for the dogs.  She can chuck a tennis ball as far as I can sling one.  And Willeke posted the picture of her Chuck-It, I just copied the link.

Your comparison of a Chuck-It to a
jai alai
basket (xistera) is interesting.  So is the Wikipedia article on the sport.  Those guys can get the ball up to 302 km (187 miles) per hour?!?  We need to get those figures to the jokers that claimed that nobody can sling a rock faster than 60 mph (96 km/hr).  A sling can put a rock into at least as high an orbit as a xistera can!

As AussieSlinger noted, "stretchy" is mostly undesirable, but a bit of stretch can be nice.  On the one hand, energy spent stretching the cords, is not available to make the rock/ball/whatever fly.  On the other hand, stretching the cords is better than stretching your muscles/ligaments/joints.  I think the basic rule-of-thumb is: if your sling feels stretchy to you, use a less stretchy material.

Of the materials with which I am familiar, nylon "paracord" has about 9% stretch: if I pull a length of cord just enough to straighten it, and measure its length, and then really haul on it, it becomes almost a tenth longer, and it returns to original length when I release the tension.  Most of my slings use nylon cords, and they work fine.

Dacron cord of similar construction (3-strand kern or core, braided mantle) has about 2% stretch.  I have a couple of slings with Dacron cords.

50-pound SpiderWire fishing line (braided Spectra [ultra-long-chain polyethylene]) has about 1/4% stretch; my favorite
"performance" sling
has semi-home-made cords with 7 kern strands of SpiderWire, threaded up the middle of some braided nylon mason's line (round braid, no core).  But I don't use this sling too often because my finger gets sore (all the pull gets transferred straight to the finger I have the loop on).

I do not know how stretchy silk is, but you can measure it the same way I determined nylon's stretchiness.  I would be interested to know how much it stretches, and how your cords are made (braided?).

As for what you sling, yes, tennis balls can be frustrating, especially if you are trying for distance.  They are too light and too fuzzy to punch through the air like a rock can.  But for short ranges and accuracy, they are good.  Having a dog to retrieve the ball also helps.  I've figured out how to roll the ball into the pouch with my foot, so I don't get slobbery hands...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)