Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Projectile Speeds - For Real (Read 854 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Projectile Speeds - For Real
Apr 12th, 2007 at 9:58pm

Has anyone in the organization ever actually cast projectiles through the "screen" of a chronograph and actually measured projectile speed(s).   I've thought a good idea to end a lot of the speculation, estimating and pontificating about the subject.  Anyone want to volunteer to do it if no one has yet...???

George N

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Projectile Speeds - For Real
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 2:14pm

Haven't had time to review them all but so far... a lot of good ideas there.  I think the question is a "yes" or "no" question however... I have long been thinking of buying a chronograph for "other projectiles" and if there is chrono data then I will make its scoped purpose for those others... if not, then I want to get one that looks like it will also work for slung projectiles... the latter would require a few additional considerations like either a remote screen or the ability to protect the electronics box from errant trhrows, etc., etc,.

Any further input???

Funslinger... for max heigth we used to use trig and some very rudimentary measuring stuff for determining the height of amature rockets.  I would think for slinging I would do the same but try to cast a plaster of paris (aka hydrocal... the latter is quick setting) ball (projectile) around a flashing LED and do the throwing at night or at dusk anyway.  I think there are some of the keychain LED lights that have a flashing mode built into them... it might be difficult getting the package down to the size you'd like to be slinging to achieve maximum distance.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2007 at 3:26pm by Gunsonwheels »  

George N

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 2:45pm

Perhaps I may bring items for measuring both 'pocket' and average velocities to the tentative event.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 3:23pm

It's beginning to look like "the boys" event can happen in a day but if we get three or four real  "dyed in the wool" sling freaks together, I'm not sure but what we'll need another two or three days in addition.

But yeh... come and bring all you can...  maybe we can hold a personal challenge to see who can throw across Devil's Canyon...???

George N

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 5:53pm

If I can sling across Hell's canyon I can clear that one too.....or fill it tryin.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)