Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throwing Techniques, Goliath Project and Wiki (Read 5037 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Throwing Techniques, Goliath Project and Wiki
Apr 7th, 2007 at 9:52pm

Okay, I'm new... but how do we know the Apache, helicopter, figure eight, overhand, etc., etc., have any historical foundation?   True we have antique figures of slingers in starting positions (walls, coins, etc.) but where does all the conclusive interpretation between start and release come from?  My throw variant also uses the start pictured in antiquity but is not any of those described on the site and who's to say my variant isn't or wasn't an original used in antiquity.  Show me the data, don't give me the conclusions and if the data is sound, I'll make my own conclusions... which should be the same as your's if both are based on the same data... hopefully more than "one data point in a row".

GN

George N

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Throwing Techniques, Goliath Project and Wiki
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Vegetius mentions the type of launch to use for Greek slingers. Underhand. When looking at the situation, it makes sense. The slingers were in formation, and had to act as one. If everyone used their own technique, well, you can imagine the chaos..

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 5:33pm

If that foramtion was "close" formation then some unification would be required to keep from "friendly fire" casualties within their own ranks.  Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks

Any others?

GN

George N

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 8:50am

I've been trying to discover the egyptian style. I tried standing and holding the short sling as in the drawing. Then I swing the loaded sling against my back and when it touches my back, I give it an overhand throw. When done correctly, the ammo flew out quite swiftly...

I've no idea, what if I use a hard projectile and that hits my back??! Grin Huh Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 8:48pm

Probably switch to the smiley on the far right... the one with the frown and tear in its eye.

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:35pm

Sling ammo (or what we think is sling ammo) abounds at various sites, but slings are much more perishable, and slinging techniques were basically passed on by demonstration and (apparently) never written down.  So we have no evidence besides the starting positions (from drawings and carvings) and our own reconstructions of what techniques might have followed from those positions.

The oldest technique for which we have positive historical evidence, is the Apache style.  That goes back to the 1960's, when Larry Forsyth learned it from Grandfather, and (by Grandfather's own testimony) back another 65 years or so (assuming he started learning the sling at around age 5).  That makes the Apache style a verified 100 years old, roughly.  You might be justified in taking it back another 20 to 30 years, assuming that Grandfather's own father taught him the style that he himself learned as a child.  That's all the farther I think anyone would be justified in aging that technique.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 3:42am

The style I'm experimenting looks like it will work. I'm quite comfortable with it. This time, the sling is swung back diagonally so that the pouch only touches my left arm and I can throw with more power diagonally.

There is a crack sound when done correctly and quite accurate. Roll Eyes The sling I use is shorter than the apache style. I use Aussie's pouch. Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:42am

If you can get some video E-mail it to curious_aardvark so it may be included in the throwing technique compendium... Please?

If we get enough different techniques in the compendium it will probably have to have a few that were successful ones from antiquity.  ..."if you can't hit the eye of the snake, then use the shotgun"...
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:29pm by Gunsonwheels »  

George N

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 5:06am

I can't always do it right... I still have no confidence with it though. But, that's the only style I can think of when looking at the egyptian drawing. Undecided

So, I'm shy to make one.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:07pm

Whatever any of us does will be wrong in light of tomorrow's knowledge... the only really wrong thing is to do nothing... then tomorrow's knowledge will be no different than today's.  And yes the hardest thing to do is to offer up the "straw horse" (the original of any idea) which everyone else is going to try and burn down.  But... that is what must be done if we are ever to start or progress on that start.
Just do it and thanks in advance....
...besides, run the camera through several throws and only send the "footage" of the good one or ask C_A to only use the one you want him to.

George N

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)