Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting Together - Put Another Way (Read 701 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Getting Together - Put Another Way
Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Is there anyone out there who is proud and/or confident enough to travel at your own expense to try and claim a $1000 prize to the slinger with the best aggregate score for long range shooting, point blank accuracy shooting and rapidity of firing (within a broader accuracy range than the first two)?   I'll put up the money (or get a sponsor to do it) and tentatively we are looking at the Pumpkin Chuckin' contest in Delaware, USA  AS A START to try and identify a competency core whose eventual mission will be to provide a demonstration to the Olympic organizers of the realities of the manifold attractions of a slinging competition in the summer Olympics.

As of this is date this is a hypothetical proposal so ...

How about $1000 for each category with a $2000 prize for the overall??????????

Trivia:
I know, USD are not considered to be worth a dam these days by some nations... by the way... note the spelling of the word dam... in the early days of the US, a tinker, or tinsmith, received their solder in "pigs" or large bricks.  Foundries cast iron plates with narrow troughs formed into their surface for the tinkers.  Tinkers fashioned a small piece of tin to place into the ends of the troughs before melting the solder pig and pouring it into long, skinny bars suitable for everyday soldering of tin articles (cups, serving pieces, etc.).  After removing the skinny bars the small piece of tin was discarded as worthless (too small and bent and oxidized).  It was referred to as a Tinker's Dam.  Comments in language about someone or something being "worthless" were referred to as their "not being worth a tinker's dam" ... later shortened to "not being worth a dam" and later completely changed in it's entire literal meaning to "not being worth a damn"... go figure
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:24pm by Gunsonwheels »  

George N

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Getting Together - Put Another Way
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:49pm

Have slings, will travel.

Summer is my best time to do this. Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Getting Together - Put Another Way
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 12:19pm

isn't punkin chunkin - seen it on telly, sure looks like fun - in october ?
There was a british team a few years ago, from the scrapyard challenge tv program.
Certainly looks like fun.

let me know where and when and I'll consider it - can't see me winning any prizes but I can wang a stone fair way :-)
The close vicinity of any international airports would also be useful.
These days a sling's about the only thing you can get through customs anyway (and matt_c's plastic knives)
:-)

ps.
it's in november
[url]http://www.punkinchunkin.com/main.htm[/url]

pps. if anyone on the forums entering a machine and wants cheap labour - I can lift heavy weights and carry stuff pretty much all day - I'll even do the evening barbycue :-) (if there ain't a barby I ain't comin' !) lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)