Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sssshhhh - or Quieting Chords (Read 1464 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Sssshhhh - or Quieting Chords
Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:16pm

I make my slings with leather patch ends whipped around small diameter climbing rope (3mm accessory chord found in most upscale sporting goods or climbing equipment supply stores - its very durable (designed to rub against rocks while under tension and not fray)and very strong).  My problem is spooking game by the scream the chords make near the end of the power portion of the throw.

Bow hunters are aware of string silencers made to quiet string twang.

Has anyone experimented with ways/methods to quiet sling chords???

Does anyone know if woven slings which look like they have fibers hanging out of the chords are quieter than a harder-finish chord?  Could this practical aspect be a reason woven are made in lieu of attached chords?  Does anyone have experience with both that could comment on how badly one screams versus the other?
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:41am by Gunsonwheels »  

George N

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: Sssshhhh - or Quieting Chords
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:52pm

The hemp braided slings are IMO much more silent then the nylon rope slings. Probably because of the fine hairs.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 3:36pm

I tried both nylon and hemp. Hemp is indeed more silent.

I don't know how to suppress the whip crack. I get it only very seldom when slinging and not very loud so it isn't an issue to me. But I guess you could make the last part of the release cord heavier to slow it down. (This should only slow down the last whip motion - the sling itself should stay as fast as usual).

You are hunting with a sling or trying to?

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 3:57pm

I normally use slings woven with flax strings. hey are silent. The only leather sling I have is very lood compared to the flax slings. I think that the noise is caused by the harder material clashing together. For silence I would prefer woven slings of flax or maybe wool.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 2:35am

totally agree, flax is light and also "fluffy" - few experimental whipslings I made with flax crack very softly and you have to use much more power than Loki's hemp sling - it cracks best of my slings, but maybe because I do not allow release cord to fray (it gets so smooth it slips through my fingers).
BTW the flax I use is not one of the clean kind, its the one that is used for packaging things, dark in colour and with some straws and other stuff left

EDIT: here's how it looks like: http://www.duguva.lt/img/07.jpg

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 1:44pm

Nice looking "hairy" stuff.  I'm on a quest to find some.  Any sources?  I'd like to stay with my current construction but am anxious to try some furry chords.

George N

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:05pm

I have a rope shop close to my home where I bought the hemp. The shop is mainly focused on ropes and other stuff (they had clothes) for boats.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:20pm

I use the same unrefined hairy stuff for lots of applications, including slings. You can get it at the gardening department in nearly any DIY store for £4.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 8:28am

In Germany the Selgros/Fegros has a wide variety of natural fibre strings for braiding. (Metro has none!) Also some super markets have one type for binding sausages.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 12:01am

I don't think anyone's mentioned jute, which is easy to find.  I've never used jute in a sling, but I have used it in other things.  It's pretty fuzzy, so it might be good.  Basically any natural cordage would work, as most in this thread seem to think.

I have an idea for reducing the whip crack: Perhaps, and this is a guess, if you left a few inches on your release cord after the knot, you could wrap it with rabbit skin, with the fur still on.  This would slightly stiffen it, so it wouldn't be able to bend sharply, and the fluff on the fur might do something to reduce and crack.  Like I said, I have no experience here. (My paracord slings never crack)

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)