Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My fig. 8........Videos!!!! (Read 2440 times)
southpaw
Descens

My fig. 8........Videos!!!!
Apr 6th, 2007 at 1:06am

Okay, finally got around to filming some throws.
PLEASE, feel free to critisize/comment, because the fig. 8
is still one great big awkward motion for me.
Anyway, hope the links work for y'all....

http://members.shaw.ca/derrick-ucfv/fig2.avi

http://members.shaw.ca/derrick-ucfv/fig1.avi

Cool

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: My fig. 8........Videos!!!!
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 3:33am

From someone who never has gotten it to work for him... I think it looks great.  I plan on using it to try and learn it.  Scenery looks like the area above Seattle toward Snowqualmie pass... banged a few rocks up that way so it looked familiar.

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 6:13am

amazing scenery - and so young (takes a brief moment of nostalgia)

Only comment on technique would be that your release is a bit off centre. I would imagine accuracy would be tricky like that. Try and sling a bit more full on so the sling and your arm at release point is at right angles to your chest.
You're kind of throwing sideways on, which gives more power but bugger all accuracy. 

Sling length looks fine to me :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 11:06am

Hey, thanks for the input.

First, yes, I love the scenery too! Seeing the Rockies takes my breath away. Shocked
Old logging roads have lots of good stones.

It all makes good sense, especially about the longer sling.
Also, for those interested, my sling is made with woven cotton strings and bicycle tubing for the pouch.

C_A, "amazing scenery - and so young" - Was that refering to Me????? Wink

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 2:47pm

Good show Southpaw. We still need to work on that granite relocation problem...

I'd be tempted to try a slightly longer sling as well, if only to slow the motion down a bit. When I throw fig-8, I start with the pouch held further across my body than most, which seems to set me up for an overhead throw. In your case this would be more in line with your right shoulder. I'll have to see about getting some video as well, if only for my own inspection - it's hard to picture what is really happening while you are slinging.

Matthias

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 4:46pm

Southpaw,

It may feel awkward, but you are doing the style pretty much correctly.  There's some differences in detail from other examples.  I have links here to Mark Weaver's videos and to Nwmanitou's, to go with my comments.

Weaver kept a upright stance in
this video
, similar to yours.  Nwmanitou also holds an upright stance in
this video
.  Because of that, you all swung the sling in a non-vertical plane.  That's what Curious_Aardvark was talking about.  By contrast, when Weaver was
going for power
, it looks like he leaned backward so that the sling swung in a vertical plane.  It is a bit difficult to be sure of this, because this video was shot from the side, not from behind him.  But my own experience is that when I lean back like that, my sling swings in a vertical plane.

Weaver held his sling at waist level, at the start.  Nwmanitou had one hand at waist level and the hand holding the pouch at about chin level when he started his swing.  I have tried holding the sling low (similar to Weaver) and high (similar to you), it doesn't seem to make that much difference.

It looks to me like Weaver used a sling that was longer than yours.  My own experience is that I am more accurate with the figure-8 if I use a longer sling.  The sling I like best for figure-8, stretches from the tip of my middle finger to the middle of my chest, with my arm stretched out beside me (the sling is folded in half, with the pouch held out by my finger).  I can use my shorter Apache-style sling with the figure-8, but the action is quicker and I am not as accurate.

Not all of us are saying the same thing; it just shows that each of us are different and (given the basics of a style) we each tune the movement and the sling to our own body.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Mark
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:23pm

Awesome Video.

Your figure 8 form looks great.  It might feel awkward at first, but I guarantee that after a while it won't.

One thing I didn't put in my "going for power", "power shot" or whatever, is that you can actually get a better step if you orient your body the way a right-hander would and then pivot/step.  Maybe I'll post another clip.

Here's how you would do it as a lefty,

In your video, if the direction you're throwing is north, stand facing EAST, both hands at waist level.  Shift your weight to your back foot (right) then shift your weight forward, pivoting on your left/stepping with your right, bringing your right hand around in a head-high arc, and twisting your body counter-clockwise to face west.  When your right foot touches, you should be in the starting position for the figure-8; right foot forward, right hand held shoulder/chest height.  You can then proceed with the rest of the power throw with the small skip step.

It's not a big thing, but it does make motion a little more smooth.  I'll try to get a video up that demonstrates it, but it will be for a right hander.

Anywho, your throw is fine.

Mark Weaver

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 9:19pm

Awesome throws, southpaw.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 1:58pm

southpaw,

For me, fantastic too! Especially the second footage. Great natural movements of the all body. The scenery is beautiful, indeed. I'm jealous Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:11am

Thanks for posting this video, I've never been able to really do fig. 8 very well (I got a really good throw once, but all others have failed).  It's nice to have a video of a lefty doing it, it will make it a little easier for me to get it all figured out, it seems more natural.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 12:29pm

Wow, what a view!! Grin Very inspiring. If I had those mountains to look upon everry day, it would make want to write poetry. ( or bake a ham, I can't remember which)

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigmoneypro
Novicius

Semper Quaestus

So. Cal.
Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 8:52pm

you look to be about my sons age, you da man.  Wink

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 10:27pm

Very Nice! It has my approval! (which isnt saying much since im no good Tongue) lol, good job!
I love the fig-8 throw and find that is the most accurate for me.
Keep up the good work!  Cool

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 6:39am

[quote]C_A, "amazing scenery - and so young" - Was that refering to Me?????   
[/quote]

Kids, they get more uppity every day - younger too.
lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 3:43pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 11th, 2007 at 6:39am:
Quote:
C_A, "amazing scenery - and so young" - Was that refering to Me?????  

Kids, they get more uppity every day - younger too.
lol

Ooooh, is that a challenge?!?!?! Wink

I have a few new vids....Hmmm, better start a new topic.
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)