Hi from Florida (Read 3205 times)
wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hi from Florida
Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:11am

Hi all...
Let's see....
I'm 36, female.  I belong to the SCA.  I raise ball pythons.  I used to raise seahorses.  I do some archery, no hunting yet(although my husband did archery hunt quite a lot).
I'm pretty interested in several different primative weapons.  I USED to have a atl atl, which I got decent at using.  I got to try out a staff-sling which was just neat.  I'd like to look into being able to USE a handheld sling, and the staff sling.  Probaly go back to trying out a atl atl, after I can contruct one.. or find someone with some for sale again.
I also belong to the Mythbusters club, and am working on myth research on using a rock thrown to kill a deer currantly.  I'm thinking of some additional archery, and thrown weapons myths as well. 
This seemed like such a FIND on the internet, somehow I never thought to try to look up such a website.  I'm moaning about the fact that it's midnight here and I can't read through all of it tonight.  I hope to discover all sorts of new stuff as I browse through everything as I go.
If I step on toes, post something wrong, please correct me!
Theresa

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: Hi from Florida
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:59am

A personal welcome!  I too think the site a real find.  There appears to be several viable throwing techniques and the site documents them fairly well.  I'm sure there are a few thechniques yet to be uncovered/disclosed as well...  I have found the ease of achieving both accuracy and power with a sling to be directly connected with finding a throwing technique with which you are comfortable.  Good luck and again welcome from another newcomer.

George N

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:06pm

Welcome Theresa,
It is good to see a woman here who came because of primitive weapons rather than crafts.
Take your time to read through the forum, it will be more than just a days work  Wink

And do not hessitate to write about the things you want to write about, while we like a member to post in the right part of the forum, we do not have very strickt rules about what you may or should do.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:46pm

yep and when we get it wrong willeke slaps our wrists :-)

I wouldn't worry about stepping on toes - if I've missed any over the last couple of years - it wasn't through lack of trying ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:04pm

Hi Theresa and welcome from Australia,

It's absolutely great to see women being interested in such a "blokey"(male dominated) sport as slinging. My wife and daughter merely look on at me in amused tolerance.

Do you have a good sling? I would be very happy to send you one of my AussiePOUCHES (see Trading Post for details). They are specifically designed to securely hold round ammunition, but work equally well with stones and most other ammunition other than very small objects; good for newcomers. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

PS My nephew lives in Orlando Florida, works for Disney.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:22pm

Thanks! That's so nice!!  PM sent.  I look forward to smacking myself in the head repeatedly!
Theresa

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 8:50am

okay I'll bite - why would you be smacking yourself in the head repeatedly ?

I've occasionally hit my hand and foot (right at the beginning - at that point you discover why you should release in plenty of time :-) but I can't recall ever being in any danger of hitting my head while slinging.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 1:58pm

Obviously you have no idea how talented I am at creatively injuring myself. I once accidently glued myself to an angry cat.
My friends find me quite amusing.
Wolfy

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 3:36pm

Ohhh, there is a story here!  HOW did you glue yourself to a cat?  Why the cat was angry, of course, is obvious ...
  "Put me down!"
  "I can't."
  "I SAID, Put me DOWN!"
  "I CAN'T!!"
  "rowwWWRRRR!!!"

Welcome to our little worldwide community.  I look forward to hearing of your experiences learning the sling.

If you want to get an atlatl,
Thunderbird Atlatl
has several models that aren't too expensive.  And a couple of the models are available as kits, for even less money.

Check out
Larry Forsyth's article
, about how he learned to sling.  The Mescalero gentleman he learned from, apparently had used the sling for hunting most of his life.  If Grandfather could hit telephone pole climbing spikes at 30 yards, he could certainly brain a deer at similar range.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 4:37pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 6th, 2007 at 8:50am:
okay I'll bite - why would you be smacking yourself in the head repeatedly ?

Some slinging styles are just perfect for hitting your own head. I would recommed using balls until you feel safe with your styles but do I do so myself? Hey, this rough edged stones are just asking to be used for some new style modification I never tried before!

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:09pm

Ok well.. lol...
I was shaving the cat... (It's my job, not how I get my jollies okay?) I was shaving the cat, and it got a teeny nick under one front leg.  So I superglued the cut shut... and glued my thumb to the cat in the process.  The cat wasn't real happy to start with, didn't like being shaved, hated the smell of the superglue and was REALLY ticced off when I glued myself to him.  I ended up with several puncture wounds and lost a patch of skin off my thumb.  The cat was fine.
Thank you so much for that link to atlatls!!! Oh good god I'm going to spend entirely too much money.  Mine was sooo basic and all.. those are gorgemous.
Such a warm welcome!  Are there really that few women primitive weapons people?
Wolfy

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 2:45am

Um, perhaps the person that wanted their cat shaved, might be persuaded to trade in that cat for a
sphynx
?

Seems like one of the atlatl kits was only about US$25 -- well, plus shipping.  And the darts (also kit form) nearly doubled the price.  I guess it's not that cheap after all... But somebody here had instructions for making atlatl darts, don't remember just where to find it at the moment.  You could probably find it by searching the forum for "atlatl" and/or "dart".

As for the number of women ... I just know that there are only a few women that post here.  There are a number of members that are female, but many don't hang around.  A few seem to read a lot, but post very seldom.  Ulrica, Willeke, Bjärn, and Narya are the only women who have been around here any length of time and continue to post.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:28am

Welcome Theresa. I always wanted to talk to a genuine cat shaver. That's one for the book. Anyway without any more jokes, let me say that it is nice to have you here and I am quite sure you will find this an enjoyable place. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)