Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hand thrown rocks for hunting large game (Read 1409 times)
wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hand thrown rocks for hunting large game
Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:04am

Hi!! This is a neat place, which I intend to explore thoroughly for my own pleasure.
Right off, you guys seem so well-informed I thought I'd take a stab at asking this question here.
DO you think it would be possible to take down something the size of a deer.. with a hand thrown rock?

Looking up information, I'm guessing a hand thrown rock goes about like a baseball.. 100mph at best.  With a sling, the speed goes up to 240+mph... but is the 240+mph enough to kill a deer?  Because if it's not, then there's no chance at a hand thrown rock, which won't get to even half that.

BTW, I've had an atl atl, and tried once or twice with a staff-sling.  I intend to get back into some of the primative weapons this summer.
Thanks loads!!!
Wolfy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Hand thrown rocks for hunting large game
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 6:54am

certainly it's possible - you just need to be:
1) very near the deer at the point of throw.
2) or high above the deer at the point of release.

But killing it would be unnecessary, it would be sufficient to just stun it, at which point with a hand thrown rock you would be near enough to finish it off before it recovered it's senses.

If you say a really good arm can send a 1 pound rock between 50 and 100 metres (not talking about an average arm - for that say - 20 -50). At the end of that arc if that rock impacts on the skull of anything bar an elephant or a rhino, it's going to retain sufficient energy to do real damage.

The only difficulties are: 1) getting close enough.
2) due to the relative slowness of the missile having the animal not seeing it and moving before the rock arrives.

But as for plain possibility - sure no problem at all.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 8:30am

That's all that's necessary, it's possibilty.  I know *I* have gotten well closer than that stalking deer, so the closeness isn't an issue too much.  I'm far from a great stalker, you just gotta have dumb deer I guess.
I didn't think of upping the size of the rock, I was thinking more of smaller rocks. Hmmmm....
Thinking is,
Wolfy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:22pm

well smaller rocks need to be thrown faster. But if you think proportional, you will not be able to throw say a 6oz rock twice as hard as a 12oz rock - not over a short distance. So a larger rock - up to a weight determined by your strength - is usually going to cause more damage.
And if you hide up a tree and drop it on the animals head - you can use a very large rock indeed.
Gravity will do the rest :-)

At least that's my take on it :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:17pm

Here in Wyoming (we're less than an hour outside of Yellowstone on 40 acres - nearest town is 10 miles away) we have deer grazing on our land almost every day and about three times during the winter they are right up under the windows of the house.  We have had mothers birth their fawns on the land and they are so tame (I don't harass them much and we have no other animals on the land competing for their space) I am extremely confident that using my sling I could either kill outright or stun one sufficiently to finish it off with a spear or something like that.  If you stun (we've nailed a few with the car during the winters) you have to be extremely cautious approaching them as even down they will lash out with very sharp hooves.  I would not recommend a large knife as a result but a spear of some kind (longer than they can reach with their hooves) for finishing the kill.  I try to have a firearm (usually a handgun) in the vehicle during the winter to finish off any road strikes.  The game wardens don't want them moved past getting them out of the middle of the road but most have no problem with us putting them out of their misery.  We then usually call the warden to remove the carcass.  Poor Bambi and his mama...
I would really like to try to bring down an elk with sling and spear.  I think it very plausible once I'm tuned up with the sling (a head shot would likely be required).  Usually around 500 pounds of meat in one of those critters and its good eatin'.

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:26am

what a waste - surely if you've gone to the point of veering across the road to strike the deer (hey that one almost got away) and then humanely put it out of it's misery you ought to be able to eat the thing :-)

Mind you in canada moose strikes invariably kill the car driver as well - you take out the legs and then the rest of the body comes through the windscreen and splats you. Mooses revenge !

But sillyness aside if it's dead and fresh - why don't you eat it ? or sell it ?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:11pm

The anti-poaching community is very (aka "religiously") pro-active around here including the game wardens.  I agree it makes no sense at all but it's the way it is and I have no desire of risking doing anything not completely legal because of it.  My last lethal strike was a doe who was running cross country came out from a neighbors windbreak trees and landed right in front of the car on a snow-packed road.  No time for any veering of any kind but she died overnight from cold and maybe the injuries but I wasn't sure of the laws and their relative levels of enforcement so let nature take its course with her.  I really, really wanted to take a handgun out and put her out of her misery but I have a disabled wife who I care for and absolutely need to stay free for that.   I have since tallked extensively with the wardens and know what I can and can't do with impunity.

The elk around here kill occasional drivers in the same way the moose do in BC and Alberta and the territories.   

Sadly around here the meat isn't bled, usually sits through a warm spell, spoils and is hauled off to a burial pit by the state Game & Fish Dept. (there're really no rendering plants out here in the sticks).  It really is aggravating.  In the area I grew up in in Montana the Highway Patrol would respond, bleed and gut them and take them to an area orphanage but I guess everyone got too busy for such "nonsense".

George N

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 5:40pm

hand thrown I have no idea. not on large game. I did pulverize a couple rabbits as a kid with 1/4 bricks. with the sling on the other hand. just watch some time what a six to 12 ounce stone doe's to a decaying log or rock face. you question should anwser it self if you can hit your prescribed target

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)