Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Index of Arms, Armour, and Materials (Chatter) (Read 4579 times)
Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Index of Arms, Armour, and Materials (Chatter)
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:43pm

Want to suggest new categories? Challenge the validity of a given article or source? Discuss the idea in general? Do that here, to avoid cluttering the main thread.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Index of Arms, Armour, and Materials (Chatter)
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:19am

please change the name of "soft weapoons".

i assure you, there is NOTHING soft in a flail  Wink

and crossbows can be smaller, so they don't have to be shot from shoulder.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:39am

Soft doesn't exactly refer to the force of impact, but to the mechanics. However, I can see the potential for confusion. Would Flex Weapons be better?

Alright. That was mainly to differentiate crossbows from bows, but I figure most people here can tell the difference, so that little tidbit can be safely removed, I think.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:45am

Flexible weapons would be better. Soft weapon sounds like a rubber blackjack or something.

A point of contention over the throwing knives, etc section. Is this going to cover just those items (which are not always thrown, particularly bo shuriken, but that could be made note of in their article) or all small hand thrown weapons?

Staff weapons, or whatever that section is, should be changed to polearms. Having such arbitrary sections for weapons might be difficult (is a bardiche a polearm or an axe?) so having an idea of some tighter guidelines might be good.

Good luck on this project, I can't wait to read some of the finished entries. The format looks promising.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:59am

looked at the original thread this morning - Am I right in thinking you intend to compile a list of links to threads on the forum about various weapons.
'cos if that's not it, I have no idea what you are doing :-)

Anything to replace the search engine that actually finds things would be welcome :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:49pm

The thrown weapons category can be clarified as entries are added.

I call it staff weapons since that's what they're called in the old medieval manuals I've studied. A bardiche, being mounted on a shaft, would be a staff weapon, or polearm, regardless of what's on the business end. Although I can see where the line could be blurred between some polearms and axes... I'll have to consider that.

The intent is not only links to articles on this forum, but from outside the forum.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 8:52am

okay - so how come you don't have any links yet - not even ones you've added yourself to get things started ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:35pm

Break just started. I haven't had time during the school week to gather the resources, but I should be able to get some over the weekend, provided I can find an internet hookup where I'm going. We're headed towards finals week, so I don't have much time to spare, but after May 5th I'll be able to devote more time to this project.

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:43pm

Added four links to the article.

Still need suggestions...

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 12:24am

Yes, the nomenclature:  "flexible weapons" would be more in keeping with the prevalent terminology with which I have come into contact (as in "sticks, blades, flexibles, projectiles and composites", as one standardised system of self-defense describes them, according to the Japanese "Godai" system of five categories based on the old Asian alchemical elements of "earth, fire, water, air and quintessence/void", respectively).

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 12:56am

I can't seem to find any articles on flexible weapons online, and that's one that I'd really like to expand, along with natural armor and the entire shield category. Threads from this forum are alright, but I'd rather expand to off-site references.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:45am

Flexibles are a hard subject. There is hardly any literature describing nunchaku, for instance (infact there has been not a single kata found for them, historically).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansetsukon is the only one I can remember being documented in any form of detail, but it is mixed with myth.

One constant I have seen with most descriptions of flails et a is that they were used to reach around shields.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:46am

Added a link to http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/index1.htm, a rather extensive website on shuriken throwing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)