Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
we need a new record! (Read 17257 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: we need a new record!
Reply #90 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 3:22am

How about doing it again and photo documenting the sling, the projectile (both still photo) and the throw (video) and sending them to C_A for the DVD compilation...???

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please

Geo.

George N

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #91 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 8:14pm

In my opinion,Yureks  long range casts are not only farther than previous records, but most likely were done at a much lower altitude in dense air. The former GWR(with stone)was done in Utah I believe where 4000’ altitude is common. The last GWR was done on a California dry lake at over 6000’ altitude! A possible 5-10 percent distance advantage due to just less air resistance.      

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #92 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 8:39pm

Yurek,

I have carefully examined your two photographs of the oak tree with the woods in the background.  It is quite obvious to me that the woods are the same distance away, but before you took the second photo, you and Smyk moved the oak tree.

Grin

"The camera never lies" -- but it never quite tells the truth either!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #93 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 8:24am

You see that's all I wanted to know - it was measured. end of the matter. Why you lot had to get so worked up about it I'll probably never know.

Now if any of you can tell me why that was such a big deal I'd really like to know. And yep I knew that telephoto lenses zoomed in make things look closer.

And for the record I never actually had doubts as to how far yurek could have slung a glande. Given his stye release pics, sling length and glande composition and knowing how far I can sling with much shorter sling and non-ideal ammo, I never had any problems with possible distance. I just wanted to know if it had been measured. If you look back through my posts that's all you'll find.

I asked a simple question - was it measured. To which 'yes it was' was all the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for finally answering. :-)

And unless yurek - you're still unnecessarily narked at me ;-) - I'd like to use quite a few of your pics on the dvd slideshows :-)

There's a simple adage I use all the time (on account of people invariably saying at some point during one of my visits: [i]'you'll probably think this is a stupid question - but..[/i]'):
It's this:- [i]'there are no stupid questions - just things you don't know and how do you find out unless you ask ?'[/i]

Surely 'small pumpkins' are just squash. Actually are pumpkins just big squash ?
Could get very confusing that, but depending on whether or not pumpkins are squash you could probably bamboozle your way to slinging small squash/pumpkins at the pumkin chunkin :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #94 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 4:53pm

All pumpkins are squash, but not all squash are pumpkins.  They are members of a group of four distinct species, all from the genus Cucurbita (C. pepo, C. maxima, C. mixta, and C. moschata).  The genus name might lead one to think that cucumbers are also included, but cucumbers, and gourds, represent different genera in the family called Cucurbitaceae.  That family, of course, also includes the genus Cucurbita.

Thus ends our Wikipedia gleaning for today.  Wink

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #95 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 5:55pm

TechStuf,

In reply #10 in this topic, you said:
Quote:
Not only that, but they no longer accept any technical advancements.  Natural materials and rocks only.

Getting information was like pulling teeth.

May I conclude from this, that you did get in touch with Guinness?

Scratch that.  I may conclude any thing I want.  Try again: Have you been in touch with the Guinness people?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #96 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 2:50am

Well... see the post in the Get Together thread from Larry Bray...  He's talking about coming up from Utah and having a go at it during our September confab... I still haven't locked onto where we'll have that particular range yet but Wyoming is about the last of the "wide open spaces".   If I need to have 500m then it's a little different setup than 300m.  Lobohunter has a post in this thread about dueling for distance.  How about it fellas... Larry and LoboH... are you getting ready to duke it out???   .

George N

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #97 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 11:00pm

At the end of the "Punkin-chunkin" all the pumpkins are squash! Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #98 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 4:39pm

not lol larry would totaly wipe me out for distance lol
second thought Ill take the challenge come on Larry show me what you got.
lol must be easter I smell a sacrifical lamb

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris)