Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
we need a new record! (Read 17253 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: we need a new record!
Reply #75 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:08am

C_A,

Yurek clearly stated that the photograph was taken at a distance of 250 meters, but on the day he slung those lead glandes he was 500 meters from the viaduct.  Read for yourself:
Quote:
I slung from 500 m (1640 ft) distance to the viaduct. Look please at the picture (that one was taken from 250 m to the viadust in October)
Does it not say clearly that he slung from a distance of 500 meters, and that the photograph of the viaduct was taken from a distance of 250 meters?

(Later)
On the other hand ... the above rant is not quite to the point of your post.  Ahem.  Maybe I need to address what you said, and not what I thought you said when I committed the sin that I just accused you of (to wit, not reading the whole thing) ...

(Still later)
On the other other hand, you cannot compare a photograph of a geographic feature, with a real (different) geographic feature, and judge distance.  Did you take a photograph of your field, to compare to Yurek's photograph of the viaduct?  Then you might compare.  But again, it would depend on the lens used.

Photographers know all about this, especially those that work for advertising agencies.  I have seen photographs of the interior of some automobiles, for instance, where it looks like I would not be able to reach my arm out far enough to touch the person in the passenger seat.  They want me to think that the car has a large interior.  They choose angle and lens and lighting to get that impression across, in a way that bypasses the thinking part of my brain (if it's in working order, that is).

What it comes down to, I guess, is that I am am willing to have FAITH in Yurek's ability and willingness to measure a distance, and you want PROOF which you will get only by going to Poland and measuring it yourself.

As for the search engine here ... you have a good point.  I have learned how to use it, in spite of its deficiencies, but it does take a lot of work to find things.  But it is the tool we have.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #76 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 12:32pm

Dale wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 5:05pm:

Thank you!

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 8:16am:
But (lmao - he wouldn't let it lie) how was the distance measured 'cos that initial pic where the viaduct is supposed to be 250m - doesn't look as far as that to me. I have a field that I've paced to around 240 yards that looks way further than that viaduct at 250m.

Zoom?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #77 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 9:15pm

lobohunter wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:46pm:
I personaly think slinging should be done. In the greek tradition  no kilt, no baggy shorts maybe a little olive oil to cut down wind restistance  Grin

Modesty is one thing but olive oil is just suspicious. Huh

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #78 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 9:18pm

This whole kilt thing started out as a simple means of recognition. That's it! Undecided

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #79 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 9:33pm

er... how did Yurek measure the distance???  I have measuring tools and wonder if it was with any like or similar in function to mine.   I can't afford a surveyor's GPS but I know their accuracy is a less than an inch (25mm... actually 25.4 if we are talking about setting records)...  I have a 100 meter chain (well it's actually made of fiberglass) and a transit to maintain alignment.

Visually the Big Horn mountains to the east of us appear to be no more than 5-10 miles away...   on some days... on others they look closer to 50 miles away.... 5-10 is shy and fifty is farther than they actually are... as a game hunter who sights in firearms (and has out to 1000 yards) I know estimating distances can be pretty difficult and some have even resorted to the new dopler laser radar range finders (Abram's tanks know the distance to a spotted target to within less than an inch and do use the laser radar... er... so I have heard).  I have an older optical one and have more recently been coveting the newer laser ones...   If you use GPS and walk a line away from your spot in direction 180 degrees from each other and note the exact moment and place your number changes, you can measure back to the spot using those references and they are supposed to be within about one foot.... so I've been told.  I have a friend who works for an engineering firm who does these things and last time I saw him in the field, he was waering the GPS... maybe I can get him to help...???

I'd still like some suggestions for setting up a range and verifying distances...  otherwise can you imagine the jawing that could take place with LH, Tint, C_A and TechStuf throwing against each other... there will have to be NO possibility of anything distance being subjective

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #80 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:51am

(All the rest of us in chorus)  AMEN!

So, are the Punkin Chunkin folks going to allow you to demonstrate slings?  Last I remember, they were insisting that if you came, you had to sling the same size pumpkins as they shoot from trebuchets etc. -- around ten pounds (4.5 kilograms)?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #81 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 3:35am

I'll bring some slightly smaller pumpkins, just in case.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #82 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 4:11am

I know I've seen some that only grow to about the size of an apple... anyone know anything about them??????

George N

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #83 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 4:13am

It's because of the Chemtrails. Grin Grin rotfl

John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #84 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 4:16am

I'm gonna hear about that one. Roll Eyes Anyhoo, those little pumpkins are just a smaller variety, like gourds.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #85 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 8:10am

[quote]C_A,

Yurek clearly stated that the photograph was taken at a distance of 250 meters, but on the day he slung those lead glandes he was 500 meters from the viaduct.  Read for yourself: [/quote]

Yep my only point left unanswerd is was it measured in which case yep perspective is probably to blame or was it guestimated in which case I'd say it's probably over guestimated, very easy to do and no insult intended (gods you people are sensitive to non-intended-non-insults :-).

Okay what I'm talking about is:
yureks pic of 270 yards
[img]http://www.kajakowe.com.pl/sling/Slinging-4.jpg[/img]

Mine that I paced to 240 yards - those are mature oaks and birches - not tiny bushes.
[img]http://members.aol.com/routeraardvark/slinging/slinging-fields-5.jpg[/img]

See what I mean - even given the perspective issue, the tree sizes on yureks just don't look that far away. Given the 2 pics I'd say yureks aqueduct was around 150m - but if it was actually measured, then it's just a trick of perspective.

In this pic - from where I'm standing to the furthest line of trees is about 400 - 450 yards -  this based on the fact that neither field is quite as wide as the one I measured.
[img]http://members.aol.com/routeraardvark/slinging/slinging-fields-2.jpg[/img]

It is a lot further than most people realise.

And my only query is did yurek measure or guestimate ?
That's it, no character impugned or honour tarnished.

And lol yep I can see kilting as a form of recogniton - now that makes sense to my own sense of eccentricity :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #86 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 9:09pm

I'm sorry.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                God Bless                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                BK                                                                  

John Walker  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #87 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 4:13pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1175645485/105#110 date=1177071035][quote]C_A,

Yurek clearly stated that the photograph was taken at a distance of 250 meters, but on the day he slung those lead glandes he was 500 meters from the viaduct.  Read for yourself: [/quote]

Yep my only point left unanswerd is was it measured in which case yep perspective is probably to blame or was it guestimated in which case I'd say it's probably over guestimated, very easy to do and no insult intended (gods you people are sensitive to non-intended-non-insults :-).

Okay what I'm talking about is:
yureks pic of 270 yards

Mine that I paced to 240 yards - those are mature oaks and birches - not tiny bushes.

See what I mean - even given the perspective issue, the tree sizes on yureks just don't look that far away. Given the 2 pics I'd say yureks aqueduct was around 150m - but if it was actually measured, then it's just a trick of perspective.

In this pic - from where I'm standing to the furthest line of trees is about 400 - 450 yards -  this based on the fact that neither field is quite as wide as the one I measured.

It is a lot further than most people realise.

And my only query is did yurek measure or guestimate ?
That's it, no character impugned or honour tarnished.

And lol yep I can see kilting as a form of recogniton - now that makes sense to my own sense of eccentricity :-)[/quote]

Ok, I really see that you have a problem (no insult intended).

The following ridlle might help you understand "the perspective issue".

Here are the two pictures of the same tree, the both have been taken from the same direction.

Pic. 1
[img]http://www.kajakowe.com.pl/sling/slinging_place1.jpg[/img]

Pic. 2
[img]http://www.kajakowe.com.pl/sling/slinging_place2.jpg[/img]

Please, tell me, on which picture the woods are closer to the camera and what the distances are (or maybe they are the same?). It wouldn't be a big problem for you, as you can estimate distances from pictures more accurately then somebody is able do it being outdoors.

Anyway, the picture I have put here, just because I wanted to illustrate the place where I was slinging that time. This one was taken in another time and was not intended as an evidence of something. It is just a picture of the slinging place and me slinging stones, just for fun. So looks like your above speculations drive to nowhere. Or if you just are trying to question my ability of measuring of stright secions, you should know that my educational background is sufficient to do it well.

That time I used to use a bicyle counter, which I callibrated and veryfied with a measure tape and later with a scale at a runway. In this way I was able to measure distances with average deviation +/- 10 metres at the 500 m. During the try the all glades were lost, hence it was not possible to measure their ranges exactly. Then the goal was to find whether some of the glandes exeeded the measured 500 m line deeply enough to have confidence that the real distance of 500 m got really exeeded. On the picture you can see the white ruined building. The 500 m line was located just past it. There was an obserwer hidden behind the walls. Although thare was no chanse to see landing glandes, but they could be easy heard when were hiting the peblly ground or something around. During the mentioned try the observer was absolutly sure that one of the projectiles hit the viaduct. I was very excited but not convinced in 100%.

That is why I repeated the attempt some time later. It was executed more carefully. My son hiiden behind the abandoned ruin was noting exact times and localizations of knocks. Just after each throw I was noting briefly the direction, exact time, angle and power of each shot. When I finished I went to him (all the time he was waiting hidden until he heard my voice). After comparing the both notes I had no doubts that I really did it. He described every heard sound very well.

Consider too, I'm not mentionig how far the furthest glandes landed behind the LINE. Although I had my own estimations, never didn't publish them, [b]just because they were only estimations[/b], at a guess, or rather at the ears of my soon. I only want to say that some distance excesses were big enough to compensate the bicycle counter deviation. The only thing were said on the forum, that I was able to exceed the distance of 500 metres.

In order to stop any furher speculations I would like to say that none of my attempts was official and there are no evidences. I don't care about them, as I did it just for me, in order to verify if I had a chanse break David Engvall's reccord using a classic sling and projectiles. I was inspired to do it by some members of the forum. They were ecouraging me and giving their support. There was a lot discussions on the GWR that time. So there wasn't a reason to not share the results then. Consider that by the nice time I have not been bragging about the results around. I mentioned about them, only when I was asked by someone.

So please, believe or not, but don't try to make a fool or a mythomaniac of me just due to that reason :)

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #88 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 7:06pm

But Jurek I think you would look good in a pointy hat with bells  Grin
This problem is easly solved. Challenge All takers to a 400 meter plus duel Ill supply the ammo just request proper weghts for your specfic style. Ill tae care ofe the rest lol Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #89 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 11:44pm

Okay... I like the wheel with counter... We marked the locations for most of the mileposts in the State of Montana in 1966 with such a device.  We had error factors we were constantly using but the accuracy was a thousandth of a mile (5.28 feet). 
Don't take any offense Yurek... some of us only believe in data and NEVER in a conclusion.  My personal thanks for sharing that data.

George N

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)