Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
we need a new record! (Read 17251 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: we need a new record!
Reply #45 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:12pm

hmm - well children, I suspect that's enough play for one day don't you ?

I'd personally love to know how on earth yurek measured his 500m throw and what on earth h slung that kind of distance.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #46 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:19pm

I'm with C_A, you two need to cool it.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #47 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:36pm

Quote:
I would be interested to know how and where yurek slung over 500m and how on earth they found the missile afterwards Smiley
I suppose you could incorporate a tracking device. something simple like a key finder should do it. 

But I'm still sceptical about the distance.

Why are you sceptical? Though you just are on the right way to discover the secret of the distance. Slinging wearing a kilt is the key. Not mentioning about the beard. I was just wearing a kilt which gave me an extra momentum when I was whirling. It is obvious though, isn't it? Wink

Saying seriously, you can read the all history of it on the forum. If you do some searching, you will be able to get the details. Actually, by now, I don't care very much whether someone believes me or not. Of course, I would feel myself more comfortable if I proved the results, but it is non the most important thing for me and not my problem. I know I did it and I'm not going to feel myself uncomfortable for this reason, or so. If someone wants to verify it, it is just his issue. Anyway, everyone who believes has got a next piece of the knowledge about slinging, I know it Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:49pm

If you can find it with this bloody search engine you're doing better than me :-)
If I could find any details I wouldn't be asking.

Having stood at the top of a hill and looked at a point approx 500 metres away - yeah I'm sceptical without any details - which I can't find.

Not saying it wasn't done - I'd just like to know how and how it was measured and the missile located.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #49 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:50pm

Well said, Yurek.  I share your perspective.  I'm right there with you, in fact.

Having seen your videos, I have no problem taking you at your word!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #50 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:54pm

just give me the details - not too much to ask. proof before faith :-)

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #51 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:08pm

Quote:
proof before faith Smiley

No such thing as faith after proof.  

Yurek's a great guy and if I know him at all, then he feels that meeting the burden of proof would only be succeeded by the burden of having himself taken too seriously! 

Some would say you're too modest, Yurek....however much honor is retained in modesty!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #52 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Sandbumoen wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:30am:
Yurek, can I post that 500m+ record on the ranges page?  Also, can you provide any details about the length of sling, ammo weight?

It would be great to show that people are still making progress since the 1992 record.

Chris

Chris,

I would be honoured. Though some time ago I decided not to post the results in order to avoid any suspiction of mythomania, I think there are no reasons to hide them, as the thopic comes back.

If I remember corectly the sling was ca. 1.20 m long. It was made from leadher and cheap syntetic braided cord.

I also did some tries with dyneema and steel cords.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #53 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:15pm

Thank you TechStuf.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #54 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:18pm

yep nice sling - what ammo ?

Modesty is one thing - but secrecy is just suspicious.

What is the big deal here ?
If it was done - why not share the details ?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #55 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:32pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1175645485/60#71 date=1176844736]yep nice sling - what ammo ?

What is the big deal here ?
If it was done - why not share the details ?
[/quote]

As I said before, the all details was posted on the forum. So there are no secrets. Please, read my previous posts carefully again.

The ammo was lead 90 grams (or so) glandes. If you know to want exactly, just search it.

Jurek

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #56 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:38pm

Scanning through Yurek's old posts I came across this one, which contains the papers from David Engvall. There it says the sling must be entirely out of leather. Weird rule, I use hemp as cords. But how did Engvall get his record through when he explicitly stated he was using Kevlar cords and a hook? Defining a dart as a stone is creative, too...

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #57 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:51pm

Quote:

So says the Crown's gaggle of public camera operators, in heartfelt unison at the beginning of each day's shift.

"You there, Boy! Yes you, get your hands out of your pockets and move along!  Secrecy is just suspicious!"

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #58 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:46pm

I personaly think slinging should be done. In the greek tradition  no kilt, no baggy shorts maybe a little olive oil to cut down wind restistance  Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #59 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:10pm

Curious_Aardvark: "Use the Search, Luke!"

Dravonk,
Engvall's letter states that he had modified the "traditional" sling, and then he defined what a traditional sling was before he stated what his modifications were.

We had a lengthy discussion of how to get a new record into the Guinness book, sometime soon after I joined Slinging.org.  The short version of that discussion: Guinness accepts anything that sounds reasonable and is sufficiently detailed.

Larry Bray set his Guinness record using a sling with a leather pouch (elk, I believe) and Dacron cords, throwing rocks.  The record setting rock was about 1.84 ounces, painted red for visibility.  I do not know who labelled the objects in this photograph; the lead object is a two-ounce fishing weight, apparently provided for comparison with the size of the rock.

David Engvall set his Guinness record using a sling-like rig consisting of Kevlar cords attached to an aluminium bar with a hook in it, which in turn slipped into a hole in the side of a metal dart.  There is a much larger, more detailed image
here

Both Bray and Engvall described in detail what constituted a "sling" and what constituted a "rock" and the Guinness people swallowed both sets of definitions (and probably chased them with a pint of Stout).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)