Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
we need a new record! (Read 17252 times)
Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
we need a new record!
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:11pm

we do, really.

there are many new things that were not known before. take the new compound sling fo example. still in early test phase, but it's a success allready (is a slide-able weight better than a fixed one? is whip-like weight distribution supperior to that?). and the pirouette whirl? untill tint hasen't filmed it, i couldn't understand how is it supposed to be done.

now combine those two with some nice lead glans, and can you even imagine the potential maximum distance? Shocked

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: we need a new record!
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:03pm

Quote:
can you even imagine the potential maximum distance?

Oddly enough, I can even
imagine

I think someone should keep moving forward toward achieving a respectable PMD.....perhaps simultaneously building a bridge from the past to the future in some meaningful way.

If one were so
inclined

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:21pm

The records says 477 m with a specially designed dart.

I believe there are those who can out sling that distance using simple stones.

We need to find a dried lake, a good sling and someone strong and skilled enough to give it a shot......

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 2:50am

Tint OUR man,

How many dry lakes do they have in Hong Kong? Because I think you fill all the other prerequisites. Start building your compound sling!

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 4:27am

I don't know whether a dart is superior to a lead gland, but I guess a lead gland goes further. Firing a dart is still quite close to "original slinging".

But a compound sling? I do not think you would break the record with it because a compound sling is as different from a usual hand sling as a staff sling. You would set some other record, but I doubt you would set the record for using a sling.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:28am

If there's anyone on the forum who can beat or even match 477 m I will be astonished (or even come close to it).

Go find a very large field and pace it out. then look back at where you started - if you can still see it.
That is a very long way indeed.

A dart will travel much further due primarily to it's lower weight and superior aerodynamicability (hmm, could be a made up word there lol)

As for needing new records - should someone ever beat that then it will be the new record. Don't really see the problem/issue myself.
Records stand until they are beaten. End of story.

Anyone got any idea if slinging is in the guinness book of records at all ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:23am

it is in a few of the older books. - it's not a record that changes every year.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:45am

You might want to look at the posts by Larry Bray. He set the previous record of 437.1 meters in 1982 with a 52g stone.

In some of his posts he wrote that Yurek got an even higher range (He mentioned 500 meters). I didn't look further for it though. So what about it? Yurek, did you break the 477.0 meters but just didn't have it recorded?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:25pm

The problem with the 'official' records is that is cost a lot because you need to pay for officials and the publishers do not promise to publish the record even when you break the old one.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:59pm

Not only that, but they no longer accept any technical advancements.  Natural materials and rocks only.

Getting information was like pulling teeth.

Guiness is a sham of it's former self.   Did I say sham?  I meant 'shadow'.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 1:51pm

who said it has to be them measuring?

i'd just like to know what's the new potential.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:55pm

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:59pm:
Not only that, but they no longer accept any technical advancements.  Natural materials and rocks only.

True? That would mean to me that David Engvall's record shouldn't count anymore when setting a new Guiness record and you would "only" have to break Larry Bray's record. He used a nylon sling but I guess hemp has a similar power. To optimize it you could wax it -- that is still natural.

But rocks only? Clay glands were used very often in history and they are what remained to the archaeologists. Lead is traditional, too.

I agree with Mordechaj, it would be nice to know what is possible. Which range was achieved with the classic sling yet, which range with the staff sling, the manual-triggered staff sling, the compound sling and whatever else we will come up with. No matter whether it is official.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 4:11pm

Dravonk wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:45am:
You might want to look at the posts by Larry Bray. He set the previous record of 437.1 meters in 1982 with a 52g stone.

In some of his posts he wrote that Yurek got an even higher range (He mentioned 500 meters). I didn't look further for it though. So what about it? Yurek, did you break the 477.0 meters but just didn't have it recorded?

Indeed, there was a time when I was really going to try to break David Engvall's record officially. It was after I had had successful attemps to throw lead glandes over 477 m. Actually, I had some shots over 500 m too, that was just my purpose. I was really ecouraged. However, the most difficult part of the affair was just to arrange the official attempt according to the GR rules. Not to metion about a long-lasting injury of the arm. Besides, in the mean time I changed my job, hence my spare time and ethusiasm for doing it become very diminished.

By now I sling mainly for fun and think of the GR rarely. Maybe some day, who knows...
By the way, thank you all that believed in me and believe me.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 4:26pm

Let's not forget that officially, windspeed and direction are not currently required measurements for a Guiness attempt, neither were they likely to have been during Bray's feat on the salt flats.  I can vouch for the fact that a 10 mph tailwind would certainly put a handful of us over the mark nearly at will.  

The wind can be fierce on the salt flats, and with no windspeed/direction requirements, the results may have been appreciably affected.

TS

P.S.  Any of you seriously thinking of humiliating the current official record with a compound sling would do well to consider such location as Bray's or specialized darts that incorporate an LED lighting system enhanced with a translucent shaft extender or one that pops smoke/powder on impact.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Anyone can train train for distance, true its fun. I would like to see some set an accuracy record like most clay pigeons taken out in one minute. Or hitting a ping pong ball off a post at fifty yards.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man)