Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Balearic Bibliography (Read 15918 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Balearic Bibliography
Apr 2nd, 2007 at 5:38pm

Ok I'm doing a research paper on the Balerics and in order to keep my thought process straight wanted to get a historical bibliography going on them. Soon as I get to the house  I'll start posting them in historical sequence.
If I miss any feel free to add them in the proper location

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Balearic Bibliography
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:30pm

Ok near as I can tell the Balearic Slinger were mention by the following ancient authors in their mentioned work. ote this is just the bibliography I'll add the actual text in later

Strabo--(63BC-24AD)--[edit] The Geography (AD 7-23)

Diodorus Siculus (90BC-30BC),Bibliotheca historica ("Historical Library"),  XIII, 80, 2.

Livy--Titus Livy (59 BC-17AD);(From the Founding of the City),XXVIII 37,3

Julius Caesar (100bc-44BC)--Gallelic War- (58-51BC)II, 7, 1)

Publius Ovidius Naso (43BC-17AD), Metamorphoses, ('Transformations'), 15 books, published 8 BC.

Publius Vergilius Maro (70BC-19BC) ,the Georgics ("On Farming")[37BC-29BC]

Ok am I missing any

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:38pm

Let me check my research paper and I will let you know.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:34pm

Thanks Badger.
Once I'm finished with it I'll send it to ya and then post it to this list.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:38pm:
Let me check my research paper and I will let you know.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:42pm

Over on another forum was just given the following two references as well. Although there is some question about the second one.

Marc Adkins

Vegetius I. 16.

Sidonius Apollinaris,( 430-489 A.D.) Carmen XXIII. 345.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:55pm

Ok I am going to start adding the text in with the references as i find them.
we start with our friend Vegetius.

Vegetius I. 16.

THE SLING

Recruits are to be taught the art of throwing stones both with the hand and sling. The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling. Soldiers, notwithstanding their defensive armor, are often more annoyed by the round stones from the sling than by all the arrows of the enemy. Stones kill without mangling the body, and the contusion is mortal without loss of blood. It is universally known the ancients employed slingers in all their engagements. There is the greater reason for instructing all troops, without exception, in this exercise, as the sling cannot be reckoned any encumbrance, and often is of the greatest service, especially when they are obliged to engage in stony places, to defend a mountain or an eminence, or to repulse an enemy at the attack of a castle or city.

URL is:
http://www.sonshi.com/vegetius1-15.html
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:02pm by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:49pm

Here are the quotes of Strabo's geography Book 3 Chapter 5
URL is

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Strabo/3E*.html

On account of the same fertility of their islands, however, the inhabitants are ever the object of plots, albeit they are peaceable; still they are spoken of as the best of slingers. And this art they have practised assiduously, so it is said, ever since the Phoenicians took possession p127of the islands.

but the people used to go forth to their fights without a girdle on — with only a goat-skin, wrapped round the arm,135 or with a javelin that had been hardened in the fire (though in rare cases it was also pointed with a small iron tip), and with three slings worn round the head,136 of black-tufted rush (that is, a species of rope-rush, out of which the ropes are woven; and Philetas, too, in his "Hermeneia"137 says, "Sorry his tunic befouled with dirt; and round about him his slender waist is entwined with a strip of black-tufted rush," meaning a man girdled with a rush-rope), of black-tufted rush, I say, or of hair or of sinews: the sling with the long straps for the shots at short range, and the medium sling for the medium shots. And their training in the use of slings used to be such, from childhood up, that they would not so much as give bread to their children unless they first hit it with the sling.138 This is why Metellus, when he was approaching the islands from the sea, stretched hides above the decks as a protection against the slings. And he brought thither as colonists three thousand of the Romans who were in Iberia.

Here are the footnotes:
135 That is, for a shield.

136 But cp. Diodorus Siculus, who says (5.18): "Their equipment for fighting is three slings (so also Florus 3.8 = 1.43 in Rossbach's ed.); and, of these, they keep one round the head, another round the belly, and a third in the hands."

137 The works of Philetas of Cos are lost. This "Hermeneia," meaning "Interpretation" (?), is otherwise unknown. The reference may be to a poem of Philetas which, according to Parthenius (Erotica 2), was entitled "Hermes." However, the entire reference has every appearance of being merely a gloss on "black-tufted rush," as was first suggested by Casaubon.

138 So Diodorus 5.18 and Florus 3.8.

Marc's note: apparently there is more in book 14 but this work is not yet online Sad

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:11pm

Florus----Epitome of Roman Wars

URL is :
http://www.answers.com/topic/epitome-of-roman-history-book-1

As the family of Metellus Macedonicus was accustomed to military surnames, it was not long, after one of his sons became Creticus, till the other was called Balearicus. The Balearic Isles, at that time, had infested the seas with piratic outrages. You would wonder that a savage people, living in the woods, should venture even to look upon the sea from the tops of their rocks. But they had the courage to go on board some ill-made boats, and, from time to time, surprised vessels sailing by with unexpected attacks. Seeing also a Roman fleet approaching from the sea, and looking upon it as a prize, they ventured to engage it, and, at the first onset, covered the shps with a vast shower of small and great stones. Every one of them fights with three slings; and who can wonder that their execution with these instruments is very sure, when they are the only weapons of the nation, and the use of them is their only exercise from their infancy? A child receives no food from his mother but what he has struck down with his sling at her bidding. But they did not long frighten the Romans with their stones; for, when they came to close combat, and felt the effects of our beaks, and the weapons that fell on them, they set up a bellowing like oxen, and fled to the shore, where, dispersing themselves among the nearest hills, they were to be found before they could be conquered.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 9:54am

Winklereid, found a great source for you. See if you can find the Greek state at War, vol. 5. The first chapter is all about slings. There is a complete bibliograpy of all Greek authors that mention slings. There are Balearic references. 
Diodoros 5. 18 3-4
Livy 21.21.12
Appian Punic Wars 40
Polybius 3.33.11
  And others

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 10:01am

Diodoros `19 `106`2
Ovid Metamorphesis 2 727
Here is a really great one.
Cassius Dio, 9 10 10, where the natives of the Gymnesian Isles, ( another name for the Balearics) prevented Mago and the Carthaginians from landing on their isle by use of slings.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 9:09pm

Ok I have pretty much put this bleeping thing together with the exception of the last appendix. relax if ya don't see it the topic for it is
Occupational respiratory illness associated with esparto fiber. it's a pdf file I printed off at work and it would probably bore the tears out of most members. But I had to add it in in order to get the most points out of that particular category.

would you folks like to see a rough draft of it before I completely submit in the next couple of weeks ?

I'll warn ya it's 28 pages long and there are no pics of the three slings I braided

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 9:51pm

I'd love to see it!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 11:12am

I would too. However, my resarch paper is over 40 pages. Shocked
Nyah Nyah!

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 3:21pm

I am not going to get drop down to this leval where we start bragging about whos sling is larger.
  Roll Eyes Cool

Now if ya want to I could drag my public health thesis in on this little debate if we want to pull who's paper is larger Smiley

Marc

slingbadger wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 11:12am:
I would too. However, my resarch paper is over 40 pages. Shocked
Nyah Nyah!

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:29pm

Ok for some reason the attachment from my home system doesn't open up.
I'll try posting from my works libary system

sorry for the delay folks.

Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Apr 21st, 2007 at 9:09pm:
Ok I have pretty much put this bleeping thing together with the exception of the last appendix. relax if ya don't see it the topic for it is
Occupational respiratory illness associated with esparto fiber. it's a pdf file I printed off at work and it would probably bore the tears out of most members. But I had to add it in in order to get the most points out of that particular category.

would you folks like to see a rough draft of it before I completely submit in the next couple of weeks ?

I'll warn ya it's 28 pages long and there are no pics of the three slings I braided

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)