Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Traps are trappy (Read 13367 times)
Algoblin
Tiro

Traps are trappy
Apr 2nd, 2007 at 4:00pm

I dunno if You discussed it. Anyway, I am thinking of learning to set some kickasarse traps. You know, boobytraps like falling tree trunks, rope loops, tripwires, holes etc. I saw some neat ones in Poor Man's James Bond, survival books etc, but feel You guys can give me some neat suggestions!

I'd like to later remove them, beacuse it's danger for some animals and methanol maniacs, of course.

However, slinging a pancake should be considered crime.
Algoblin  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Traps are trappy
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:12am

Don't do it.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:20am

I suppose it all depends where you were intending to set these up.
If it's in your own backyard - go for it :-)

If in publically accessable woodland - be careful as I would imagine just constructing such a trap in a public area would be a prosecutable offence.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Algoblin
Tiro

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:40pm

Hmmm I don't intend making a mess out of people's lives, just learning how is it done. Perhaps this would quench my thirst for knowledge and discover that they are too much to be interesting...

But anyway I kind of rethought it and thanks for this... direct advice.

However, slinging a pancake should be considered crime.
Algoblin  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:43pm

I suggest setting the traps up on wall street in ny at noon

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 7:21pm

Bait them with dollar bills?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:14pm

Just be inventive Smiley.
It depends completely on your resources available, and what your end goal is. I've designed traps just for the fun of it which send logs swinging on vines and that sort of thing. There's nothing complicated about it; just be clever as far as inventing trigger systems (and remember that someone will have thought of it before you), and use your enviornment to your advantage. Using naturual cordage for this is the way to go Smiley

IP Logged

Rahil
Tiro

:o

Canada BC
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:49pm

my favorite trap is the one when you dig a hole in the groudn then cover it with sticka and leaves Grin or the bandy branch and rope one. when you step on the trip wire a branch hits you

(I wrote this when i was 12 but im keeping it for history sake) i can use a bow, im not very good at slinging but just starting to learn, i can fence good, throw spears well, build stuff, make a weapon out of stuff i find on the ground, staff fighting, i play basketball, football, and i can cook, know tons of knots, and im open to learn ANYTHING new.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 6:19am

but have you ever built one rahil ?

The bendy tree one is unlikely to work for anything much bigger than a rabbit (trees generally lose their srping if bent for any length of time) - usually you need a pretty decent counterweight.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rahil
Tiro

Canada BC
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 7:00pm

the hole ones simple enough, but i use the bendy b ranch on my brothers quite a bit . i dont pick big branches, just the tiny whippy ones. more to play than to hunt really, and if so, ide be lucky to catcha rabbit   Grin

(I wrote this when i was 12 but im keeping it for history sake) i can use a bow, im not very good at slinging but just starting to learn, i can fence good, throw spears well, build stuff, make a weapon out of stuff i find on the ground, staff fighting, i play basketball, football, and i can cook, know tons of knots, and im open to learn ANYTHING new.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 4:11pm

heck why be spendy bait them with dimes. nice shiny dimes lol

IP Logged

Rahil
Tiro

Canada BC
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:45am

but realy, i know a few things about traps, deadfalls, snares, and the holes. deafalls are falling trunks or falling anything for that matter. im killing a few mice in my garage with deadfalls.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2007 at 12:48pm

homemade mouse traps are good fun.
I made a few soome years ago that caught them alive for release away from the house (these are field mice not house mice).

A dead fall sounds like it'd kill them pretty instantly, which works too.
The matel snap traps have atendency to injure and kill slowly - which I never approve of, in any aspect of life.

What sort of trigger mechanism do you use ?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2007 at 5:07pm

the pyute and penut butter works great for mice I use it instead of spring traps

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 15th, 2007 at 11:44am

[quote]pyute and penut butter [/quote]

do you mean peyote ? So they'd die happy - I can live with that :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)