Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
David and Golieth TV show (Read 3059 times)
Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

David and Golieth TV show
Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:44pm

Next monday at 9:00 eastern time on the history channle there is a show called digging for the truth has a show on the story of david and golieth. It is going to have alot about the sling including some demostrations. I cant wait. I hope you can all see it.

IP Logged

riverwindflutes
Tiro

The best slings in life
are free!!!

The Pinelands of New Jersey
Re: David and Golieth TV show
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 6:17pm

Sounds Great, I'll be sure to watch it.
Don A.

"Use what talents you possess: the forest would be silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best".
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 7:31pm

its set to record  Cheesy

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:52pm

any chance of digitising it and then posting it via mailbigfile.com if it's any good ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 11:54pm

I'm not technically adept enough to steal stuff off the tv, but I'll be watching!

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:27am

The two gentlemen that slung at the ceramic head didn't do too bad; however, their slings were longer than most I've seen posted here in this forum.

When, Josh, asked how long they were, the one slinger explained that the folded length should be from the finger tips of an outstretched arm to the tip of the opposite shoulder.  Whats your take on that?

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:54am

personally I'd say that's too long for any of the styles I use.
Finger tip to shoulder of same arm is about right for me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:35pm

They did seem very long. I've always used the outstretched arm rule myself. However, all they broke with the sling was a ceramic head. Pretty easy. I was kind of hoping it would be done Mythbusters style,with a skull and ballistics gel.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 8:38pm

It was not well done, but at least was not done poorly. The slingers said there are 'two styles' (helicopter and overhand), and both of which involved multiple windups with very long slings for them. Long slings seems to be the norm in that part of the world, but is that what would have been used in David's time?

Several attempts to hit a head... It appeared as though some stones boomeranged, perhaps they used misshaped rocks, perhaps imparted an odd spin, or perhaps it was a funny camera angle. In any case, we need to get slings onto mythbusters (with a hint that we have a guy in HK who could demonstrate a few things). The conclusion would be along the lines off "We saw the proffessional crush a cow's skull 300m away blindfolded, but as we weren't able to do it ourselves, this myth is plausible."

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:21am

You know what? Get me some research links and such, maybe some folks in the san francisco area, and Mythbusters might indeed do something similar.
We were just talking over show ideas, and someone had mentioned the David and Goliath myth.
Seems you folks would know the facts needed.
What slings were used in biblical times in that area?
What sort of power can an EXPERIANCED slinger get from that sort of sling?
Would that power be enough to kill a large adult male human(since Goliath was said to be huge)?
If you don't want to write it up, I don't mind myself.  If I could use this place as referance?
Good grief this is the COOLEST place....
Wolfy

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 4:54am

wolf-hound wrote on Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:21am:
What slings were used in biblical times in that area?

Here's an image of a sling found in Egypt:

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 6:46am

now that sling doesn't look too long.

Wolf hound - not sure there is anyone on the forum in the san francisco area. But there's a new guy (to the forum = 1sreluc) in virginia who hunted with a sling as a kid. Is casting his own glandes and could probably do the job.

No offence to tint - but I don't recall any videos or demos where he's actually aimed at anything :-)
Sure he can hit the side of a gymnasium while standing in it - but an actual head at distance ?
Dunno - he'll have to answer that one himself :-)

I could - given enough goes lol - most of us probably could.
Which as far as television goes would be sufficient, you only show the throw that works :-)

As for slings of the period, for some reason the woven slings survive (preserved in tombs) - but they had cattle so it's a safe bet they would also have had leather slings.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:40am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1174959840/0#11 date=1175770003]No offence to tint - but I don't recall any videos or demos where he's actually aimed at anything :-)
Sure he can hit the side of a gymnasium while standing in it - but an actual head at distance ?
Dunno - he'll have to answer that one himself :-)[/quote]
Tint wrote that he has an accuracy of +/- 15 meters at a distance of 160 meters. See "[url=http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168997397]One good shot![/url]".

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:24pm

lmao - so at 160 yards there's a 30 yard stretch he's is reasonably confident of hitting.

:-)
where are ya mate - defend yourself !
lol

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 4:53pm

Just read the topic, Curious_Aardvark.  One shot, one plastic bag 160 yards out to sea, sunk it.  With an audience.  And he called the shot before he did it!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)