Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
History of the Khukuri (Read 19498 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
History of the Khukuri
Mar 25th, 2007 at 7:53am

been digging into gorhka and nepalese history - no mention of slings but this site is fascinating for anyone interested in knives or kurkris.
[url]http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khukuri-history.html[/url]

This is also very interesting, scroll right down the page to see manufacturing processes.
[url]http://www.himalayan-imports.com/bio.html#mama-didi[/url]

Actually we have a british army kurkri knocking around somewhere that my dad acquired in aden I believe (if it was aden then it's seen 'service') I'll have to dig it out and have a good look at it :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: History of the Khukuri
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 9:13pm

I happen to find khukuris very interesting and in fact have two of my own. As an interesting sidelight it is thought that the weapon used by Jack the Ripper may very well have been a khukuri as one was recovered near one of his crime sites.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 11:47pm

Theres a group out there that collect antique Kukris. I'll have to dig up their URL. They have some additional information on the Kukri. They have a nice Article on the Military Kukri that definitely conflicts with some of the stuff that Himalayan Imports has on their webpage.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 25th, 2007 at 7:53am:
been digging into gorhka and nepalese history - no mention of slings but this site is fascinating for anyone interested in knives or kurkris.
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khukuri-history.html

This is also very interesting, scroll right down the page to see manufacturing processes.
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/bio.html#mama-didi

Actually we have a british army kurkri knocking around somewhere that my dad acquired in aden I believe (if it was aden then it's seen 'service') I'll have to dig it out and have a good look at it Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 6:17am

I hope you can find it again. I would really like to see that site.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 7:23am

I would imagine the current issue military kurkri is a mass produced item - knowing the british army - probably made in china. Though I would imagine that most gurkhas would have their own individual blade.

There's usually a gurkha stall at the basc national gamekeepers fair - If it's there this year, might not be since they've finally got parity on pensions - and it was a the gurkha welfare trust that had the stall.
If it's there I'll try and have a chat with one about the knives :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 11:41am

My understanding is that the current issue Kukri is produced in Nepal, but it is a smaller knife than the big WWI and WWII blades we see normaly advertised here in the states.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 28th, 2007 at 7:23am:
I would imagine the current issue military kurkri is a mass produced item - knowing the british army - probably made in china. Though I would imagine that most gurkhas would have their own individual blade.

There's usually a gurkha stall at the basc national gamekeepers fair - If it's there this year, might not be since they've finally got parity on pensions - and it was a the gurkha welfare trust that had the stall.
If it's there I'll try and have a chat with one about the knives Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 11:42am

Sorry folks have some emergency dental stuff come up in the family I'll try and see if I can find the URLL tonight.

Marc

bigkahuna wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 6:17am:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:23am

Fom the gurkhas pointof view I'd imagine they'd want nepalese made weapons. Whether the quartermasters supplies would see things as sensibly as that is debateable :-)

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:40pm

My understanding that the Gurkas of the UK brigade are allowed to wear/use any kukri they want. Some bring the older styles back with them after their first leave. and use the issue ones for meanila tasks like digging latrines.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:23am:
Fom the gurkhas pointof view I'd imagine they'd want nepalese made weapons. Whether the quartermasters supplies would see things as sensibly as that is debateable Smiley

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:50pm

Ok here it is

www.IKRHS.com
The International Kukri Research & Historical Society

Marc Adkins

bigkahuna wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 6:17am:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 8:55pm

From what little I know, it seems the Gurkhas have several different khukuris. One is just for full dress ceremonial wear and another for field duty.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 7:49am

well there's definitely a gurkha band at the basc show so I'll see if I can corner one for a chat :-)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:01pm

"AYO GURKHALI!!!!" Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:22pm

According to their site, these are the MOD suppliers.

http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/

Lots of information on this site and the two other sites they maintain. And the prices for the knives are criminally....low.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:31pm

What they don't tell you is that the shipping is from Nepal.
Another thing to factor in is that their blades are made for nepalese hands and are a bit on the small size.

Marc Adkins

wanderer wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:22pm:
According to their site, these are the MOD suppliers.

http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/

Lots of information on this site and the two other sites they maintain. And the prices for the knives are criminally....low.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)