Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Compound Sling
Reply #60 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 6:27pm

Quote:
Looking at the sliding weight simulation some more, I'm not entirely convinced that friction losses amount to anything. Even if the weight is fixed, as in my original drawing, the energy transfer seems to happen the same, but without the auto-tune benefit. So long as the weight moves smoothly, without jerking it might just work

You most probably are right, in a case of a bigger friction, the way of transfer the energy would be changing. But friction isn't prnament on the whole way of the booster, it might make additional problems with timing.

I'm happy to hear about the postive results of your test. I will think about doing the same. But now there is the time for me to land from the space just to the bed Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #61 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 10:15pm

OK... it works. It seems reliable. It seems like aiming (downrange at least) won't be a problem. It needs a few kinks worked out. It's very scary.

Even with tennis balls, I didn't have enough room (and too much common sense) to try anything but a relatively gentle throw. I only got a dozen or so in, but it's a start. Ranges were around 75m shooting flat. Nothing special, but also nothing like the effort I was putting in. A higher arc, rock and some oomph should be a different matter.

The sling is ~1m, with a 1lb (450g) lead ball acting as a sliding booster (too heavy!). Hook shaped auto release triggered when the secondary opens almost to it fullest extent. The release is at 50% of the retention cord, and there is a standard split pouch on the end.

The mechanics are easy, wind up like usual, release the pouch a bit early, watch the rest unfold on autopilot... Releasing early is counterintuitive - you can see that my shot goes left of where I'm looking - but that's just practice. You need to watch out for tangles, but other than that it takes care of itself. The booster wasn't at all a problem after firing - well behaved. If the secondary fails though it is a little hairy - that energy has to go somewhere. Putting it into the ground was no trouble, but something to watch out for. Once we graduate to overhead throws it might bear some more thought.

To do:
  • Streamline the sling. No tag ends, nothing to tangle.
  • Anti-twist cords. Although thin cords are good, cords that twist don't help here.
  • Better release hook. Shaped from a piece of plate would be nicest. This one worked ok, but I'd like something tidier and more stable.
  • Weight ratios
A first step anyways! I'm pleased Cool I'd post the video but at 30fps the entire interesting part falls between frames, even with this lob...

Matthias

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #62 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 10:44pm

It's really great to see new, original ideas, and out-of-the-box brainstorming comments being welcomed on the forum once again, rather than merely being ridiculed, and put down with a dismissive, oh-so-venomous tongue-in-cheek comment!      Lips Sealed

This one is a real winner, whether or not it turns out to be workable.  I, as the resident champion of the unconventional,  hope that it flies farther, faster, and more accurately than any sling in history ever has!  But then, again what do I know?  I still think that the Assyrian soup spoons were really just long-tailed toli sticks!  Cool  They were there to protect the Assyrians from ancient long bows because they were unable to defend themselves with their "inferior" Asiatic composite bows, which although lighter, shorter and easier to carry and shoot further accurately, especially when fired from horseback, than the long bow, were still inferior somehow, and were just invented due to the lack of decent bow-making materials on the steppe (yeah, and General Lee mistook shabbily-dressed Ulysses S.Grant for a blacksmith, and handed him his sword a Appomatix court house for Grant to polish!. Roll Eyes  The solution?  Use the long-tailed soup spoon toli sticks to shoot white-hot, wind-heated charcoal-coated glans and set their bows on fire! YEEEEAH!  Grin

Hey, how about this one...a compound toli stick for hundred-yard field goals every time! Shocked

But seriously...(which I seldom bother to be (serious, that is!) anymore, but here goes...) I believe that creative, and visionary thinking such as this idea, and others like it on slinging.org may result in a LARGE vartiety of new and unique tools, weapons and other useful inventions which may someday be remembered in history as having inspired many new and life-changing technologies, as well as an environment of intellectual freedom and mutual inspiration for those of us who occasionally find too much time on our hands.

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2007 at 12:27pm by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #63 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 12:18am

Quote:
remembered in history as having inspired many new and life-changing technologies

That's a tall order for such a simple tool.....you really think the lowly sling might someday be taken to such a grandiose height as this?

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #64 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:31am

lmao - good to see you back ts.

No idea what soup spoons have to do with this topic - assyrian or otherwise - but excess enthusiasm is probably better than none at all, and hey you never know. The bloke who invented cats eyes just wanted a way to get back from the pub while tanked up on misty nights - he changed the world for the better. Big ideas can have humble beginnings  :-)

And Matthias - wow - you made one and it worked, now I definitely want one :-)
75 metres with a tennis ball is pretty good they don't fly particularly far in general.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #65 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:31am

Yesterday I played a bit with connected pendulums. I fixed a ring with four keys in the middle and a single key at the end. It was quite impressive to see the energy of the key ring going to the single key completely. It just looked a bit too slow to happen during a wind-up. Matthias, did the booster weight slow down almost completely in your tests?

After my pendulum test I felt the temptation rising to build a real sling like that...

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #66 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 12:21pm

Dear Techstuf,

If it ever does take off to such grandiose heights, it will be thanks to members like you, Matthias, Tint, Aard, Lobohhunter and perhaps even little old me (part optimist, part curmudgeon), ....Underdog!   Huh  ...among several others.  It never hurts to encourage our people with some shameless, "magnumslinger-esque" cheerleading, however!  I really think that there are many here who could make it happen, intentionally, or otherwise.  Yeah, some significant inventions will probably someday be traced back to this forum, eventually!

Aardvaark!  How's it going?  I was refering to several posts where I tried to get/continue or stimulate discussion here by reeling off wild ideas, etc.  (It usually worked, thanks to you, and others who were kind enough, and/or at least interested enough to comment on them!  Tongue )  The "soup spoon"part  was a reference to the old pictures where it looked like the ancient Assyrian slingers were throwing stones from soup spoons, which I mused were more likely to turn out to be toli sticks, or Philippine bamboo stone throwers!  I left out that Irish-American wild Astrology-history-Egyptian-Biblical site you got such a kick out of!  By the way, here's a couple of sections from another interesting one with some similar references, but one that I enjoyed even more: 

http://www.theosophical.ca/Book12A%20-AncientEgypt.htm

http://www.theosophical.ca/Book4AncientEgypt.htm

There were no cool "ancient-solar-heroes-slinging-from-horseback-at-evil-giant" cartoon pictures, or even any fun "Prehistoric Irish mutant ninja druid-kings-as-unjustly-dethroned-masters-of-the-ancient-world" conspiraciy theories on this one, though!  Undecided

Feel free to either tear it apart, comment unenthusiastically, or praise it, as you see fit!  Either way, I think you'll have some good insights to offer, as usual! Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2007 at 1:26pm by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Xenophanes
Tiro

Just getting started!

Southern California, USA
Reply #67 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 4:39pm

Matthias-

How are you holding onto the projectile when you swung your prototype?  Did you have any problems with dropping the ball before/during release?

(I'm tempted to build my own version of this.)

IP Logged

Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Reply #68 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 5:28pm

Could the booster weight be more oval shaped or otherwise elongated in shape with the cord attaching on each end of it? I'd think it would be less likely to tangle that way.

What about just drilling a hole lengthwise through a lead weight and using a piece of heavy guage wire bent into an eyelet at each end? Of course, this would prevent a series of weights for different weghted glans.

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #69 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 10:10pm

Matthias,

In your design, does the booster weight actually slide along the cord?  If so, what stops it?  Seems like it would tend to tear the cord at the release gadget.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #70 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 12:39pm

[quote]75 metres with a tennis ball is pretty good they don't fly particularly far in general.[/quote]
It's about as far as I can throw one comfortably with a standard sling. The motion feels funny - as the ball *shouldn't* go as far as it does...

[quote]Matthias, did the booster weight slow down almost completely in your tests?[/quote]
Pretty much - my masses weren't balanced, which I think allowed the booster to hit the release hook, stopping the outward motion and allowing it to retain more energy than it otherwise might. The speed was definitely cut to around 1/3 or less of the pre-release speed though. If the secondary doesn't fire for some reason the difference becomes very apparent. The sliding mass should basically adjust itself for maximum energy transfer: in a properly working compound, prematurely stopping the weight (not enough sliding room allowed) and releasing the secondary early (not enough time/arc allowed for the transfer) will be the main factors. You are always going to lose a little from the release point, unless someone comes up with an instant release that works at exactly 180 degrees. My sling is supposed to dump somewhere between 160-170, which is adjustable by the length of the trigger cord. Making the booster lighter relative to the thrown mass shortens the amount of sliding required.

[quote]...FunSlinger rasises a bunch of good points...[/quote]
Normally, I'd splice all the connections in a sling like this for smooth transitions, but whipping would work perfectly as well. The reason I left knots with long tails was that I wasn't certain that I wouldn't have to adjust everything.

I think possibly a more streamlined, organised booster FunSlinger describes might help with a fixed-position design. The booster I was using slides, which seems to be a big help, though with this trigger the fixed one might be manageable as well. Apart from the seeming automatic tuning benefit, the huge advantage is that it puts tension on the cords through the first moment of release, which makes the whole thing much more predictable.  I think that you could actually get away with a small pulley and snap-hook masses clipped on without worrying too much about tangling. The booster stays nicely out of the way of the whole process because it is being held outward by the slinging forces.

A plate/jigsaw-blade hook seems like a good idea (waterjet cut would be really nice - anyone have one in the garage?) One of the problems with the geometry I used is that the secondary retension cord interferes a bit with the hook - and the wire loops make it worse. Rather than using a single piece retension cord as shown, I suggest that a better design would use three holes in the hook, and break the cord at that point. This should help with the tangling a bit by keeping the hook straight and the troublesome crossing will be eliminated.

[quote]...Funslinger talks about compound-whip-slings...[/quote]
I have absolutely no idea. That could go in the simulator pretty easily though.  ...Thinking... hmm, I think I could see it working pretty well. Aiming would either be easy or really really hard. Who's going to build one for a real world test? I won't be back at the simulator until mid next week.

[quote]How are you holding onto the projectile when you swung your prototype?  Did you have any problems with dropping the ball before/during release?[/quote]
I just hold the pouch. No trouble at all with dropping, but I never drop anything with a normal sling either. The test sling uses a woven split pouch that I had left over from the tutorial I wrote a while back. It holds the tennis ball pretty securely. The trick with pouches is that you really want to hold the projectile with the outside edges if at all possible. Support it from the middle and it's apt to roll around.

Jurek's sliding booster fixes the release mechanics perfectly. What would otherwise be a pretty complicated manoever with potentially slack cords and unreliable timing becomes as easy as a standard release!

[quote]Could the booster weight be more oval shaped or otherwise elongated in shape with the cord attaching on each end of it? I'd think it would be less likely to tangle that way.[/quote]
It could (see FunSlinger reply). I'm thinking of going the opposite direction though, and using a pulley and maybe even a short length of cord to get it away from the sling (remember that the sling is folded through the working phase).  As complicated as the design looks, it is really easy to load and seems pretty tangle free. My main problems were cord twisting and tangling at the retension hook.

[quote]In your design, does the booster weight actually slide along the cord?  If so, what stops it?  Seems like it would tend to tear the cord at the release gadget.[/quote]
It does slide - you can see clear evidence of this in the photo if you squint. The sliding is what makes dropping the pouch work as well as it does, regardless of the contribution to energy transfer. As for stopping the sliding - It stops itself. Amazing but true! So long as it isn't so heavy that it can make it out to the hook before dumping the remaining energy, it stops sliding as the secondary reaches max extension. If you look closely at the second simulation I posted you can see the path taken by the mass, including the point where it has stopped moving (both outward and tangentially). In that sim, the secondary doesn't dump, so as it comes around past 180 degrees, it reaccelerates the booster and starts sliding it inwards at the same time...

The sling should be tuned so that the mass doesn't make it to the hook. In the test rig, I "think" I'm hitting, but can't tell with the speed everything unfolds at. Lowering the ratio of booster to thrown mass or moving the retention hook outward a bit more would both work. I don't think the second is necessarily a good idea though, as the shorter secondary would put bigger demands on the system.

Once the secondary fires, there is nothing to prevent the booster from sliding out to the end. A stop before the hook is a good idea to prevent trouble with this critical part. The further extension of the primary length after release is helpful though, as it slows what's left of the rotation down even more.

I look forward to seeing some Mark II compounds posted. Weekend's coming up!

Matthias
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2007 at 2:28pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #71 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 2:39pm

I do not think mine qualifies as a "Mark II", but I am working on one.  I am duplicating your design, Matthias, but using Prusik knots everywhere so I can tune it easier, and the booster mass is an 8-ounce (227g) sinker (since you said 16 ounces was too much).  Your experience has convinced me that sliding booster and automatic release are the way to go.  The sliding booster automatically puts tension on the release cord and keeps you from fouling the sling or dropping the ammo.  The automatic release means there is one less thing to keep track of in my hand, and I have enough trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.  I'll let you know how it works.

By the way, how did you do that
multiple-exposure photo
?  A series of shots, merged in Photoshop?  How'd you get your camera to snap photos that rapidly?  That has to be faster than 30 frames/second...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #72 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 7:24pm

My impression with Matthias' first scheme with non-sliding booster weight is that this booster weight is not for boosting but for making the first string controllable independent of the second string. What would be interesting is a variant of a staff sling. Take e.g. a 70cm carbon fiber stick and attach a sling to that. The release could be some kind of remote compound bow release. The stick would be controllable thereby allowing a lot of different motions. Or it can just lengthen the arm. So that would be some merger of sling and staff sling.

But first I have to get my normal slinging working. (Btw. there is no flash plugin for Linux x86_64. So I can't look at the new member map.)

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #73 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:16pm

I tend to agree with Zwiebeltuete.

I think it might be seen as carrying the 'effective' hand of the thrower to the middle weight, so just scaling up the size of the slinger. In that case I would expect for a good match the outer 'sling' to be exceptionally long. I'm not sure what sizes are practically being considered here.

A great thread. And Yurek's sliding weight concept looks truly amazing. One has to wonder why the ancients didn't figure this out, particularly since it has such a well defined starting configuration etc.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #74 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 6:31am

wanderer wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:16pm:
One has to wonder why the ancients didn't figure this out, particularly since it has such a well defined starting configuration etc.

Once they figure out how to make crossbows, the popularity of the sling diminishes fast. 

I think a crossbows are simpler than what we are trying to make on this thread.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)