Send Topic Print
Compound Sling (Read 69869 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Compound Sling
Reply #210 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 8:53am

Ooh, cool! Was that, by chance, as complicated as you could make the system using that program or could you have included variable arm acceleration and internal forces (friction, normal force, etc) for the member interactions? It would be useful to know how far I can take the software when I'm dummying up a compound sling.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #211 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 2:45pm

Well,i didn't said it's possible,just let my fantasy run amok.
And i mentioned 2000 J out of 2500J of a world champ throw.
Yurek,looking forward to that simulation also, although an ak47 bullet weights ~ 8g so it's waay too light.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #212 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 3:21pm

Masiakasaurus,

Yes it is possible to make the simulation more complicated. You can change the arm acceleration with any function you want. Torque and velocity either. Additionally there is possible to use own scripts. You can also measure all interesting values - get series of numbers and charts. Unfortunately there is no possibility to simulate friction of the pulley. One of the charts in the movie shows tension of the pulley system, what gives an idea about normal forces.

I omitted the slinger's whole body mechanics - too complicated and not enough data. The arm just accelerates constantly regardless of external load. You may want to apply torque instead, then the whole complicated interaction of slinger's body with the sling becomes very important.

Anyway the simulation is much closer to reality than our guess Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #213 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 3:22pm

Jilasud,

anyway I will try Wink

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #214 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:03pm

That sounds fairly useful. I'm generally better working directly with applied moments (torque) than with tangential forces that induce moments.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #215 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:20pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:03pm:
That sounds fairly useful. I'm generally better working directly with applied moments (torque) than with tangential forces that induce moments.

It seems to be more suitable in this case indeed. But no problems with torques in WM 2d.

IP Logged

hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
I do not have the time.
Reply #216 - May 28th, 2013 at 6:39pm

i honestly dont have the time or energy to look thourgh 15 pages of compound sling discussion. Have we found out a viable way to use it, or even confirmed that it works at all?

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: I do not have the time.
Reply #217 - May 28th, 2013 at 9:27pm

hassan wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 6:39pm:
i honestly dont have the time or energy to look thourgh 15 pages of compound sling discussion. Have we found out a viable way to use it, or even confirmed that it works at all?

As far as I know, there is not a viable way to use it, except for a few prototypes.

It does work... I think.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #218 - May 29th, 2013 at 11:44am

A quick google search will give you pictures of one compound sling prototype in use. Now it's just being refined. Here's the relevent post. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1174772635/60#61

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)