Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ammo (Read 2249 times)
1srelluc
Ex Member

Ammo
Mar 24th, 2007 at 5:01am

I am thinking of useing 6-8oz. lead egg sinkers as ammo. Another option is the same weight of lead cannonball (round) sinker. The moulds will cast  6, and 8oz. sinkers. All my lead is free (cable lining)  and the moulds are only around $30.00 plus I have a casting pot and ladle from when I  casted .577 minie bullets. I used to be able to turn out a heck of a pile of bullets in a hour so I figured it would be better to just cast my sling ammo.

The egg sinker is more tradional in shape but the round sinker should be more accurate. Does anyone have experiance useing lead? If so what shape would you pick?  BTW- 2nd post.  Thanks

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Re: Ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:49am

Sounds good but keep in mind lead vapour is toxix and you can inhale it. That's why I never use it.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 10:06am

I generally throw smoothed river pebbles (bag from garden center) but when I'm
throwing lead I use 3oz egg or grand-banks style sinkers ... 6 to 8 oz seems heavy to me ... must be because my main back yard ammo is the tennis ball which masses a whopping 2 oz. I rarely get to a place where I throw stone or lead. I tend to throw glandes shaped lead vs round...
Steven says: ''

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:10pm

I have a wee bit of experince in the casting of lead. My Opion is that the egg sinker is more accurate when used with a wide grip that allows a rifle like spinning motion on the other hand the cannon balls are more accurate with a close grip. or a grip that allows back spin. This sport of ours seems to have many varables

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 12:49am

Markmyster wrote on Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:49am:
Sounds good but keep in mind lead vapour is toxix and you can inhale it. That's why I never use it.

That is a good point for those that are not used to lead casting. Safety First! Eye Protection and plenty of Ventilation. Do not allow water into the pot as it will erupt, causing the lead to splatter. I would not recomed anyone start casting till they read up on the subject. I have a bottom pour electric production pot that holds around 20 lbs of lead that I set up outside under my deck when I cast alot of sinkers or bullets. I still cast my own surf fishing and catfish sinkers about once a year but I only cast  a small number of each weight so I just use the smaller iron pot and ladle on a Coleman stove. Its slower, but gets it done.

Those were good points about the egg style sinker. I have some 4oz. lead eggs I've thrown and I do not think that a 6oz. would be too heavy though the 8oz. just might be after a while even to just carry afield. I think I might go with the 4-6oz. egg style. Rocks are just fine for messing around but I want a consistant sized and weighted type of ammo as I entend to start hunting rabbits, squirrels and such with a sling again. When I was a kid we used granite railroad bed rocks and they would kill a Groundhog. I even nailed a Fox one winter and got paid for the hide. They were all about the same size and threw well.

I am lucky enough to own some acres on the  Shenandoah River here in Virginia, USA so I have a lot of room and have even built a range of sorts for slinging. I will be able to recover most of my lead ammo if I paint it a neon color for pratice. Heck I find and reuse most of the rocks I throw now. My Grandaughter comes in handy for that!

Thanks for the input guys. This site is great!

IP Logged

Algoblin
Tiro

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 4:42pm

What about burned clay projectiles with just some junk inside?

I think casting lead may even be easier - lead melts from a little more than a match flame. Okay, maybe just a backyard fireplace. But no need to have nice forms or mold it uncomfortably - clay is just a wet mess, and all the rusty screws or miscellanous lead uselessness comes in.

I'm sure You tried it!

However, slinging a pancake should be considered crime.
Algoblin  
IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:58pm

I went ahead and bought the mold (I can use it for surf fishing too) and cast some  3oz. egg sinkers with no hole. They work great with a  heavy corded sling.  The distance increase was shocking. They flew like a football as best I could tell and at least 25% farther than what I am used to with a like sized rock. I only made 5 distance slings due to throwing them in the river.  They also look to be more accurate and have more hitting power than rocks do. At 20 meters I am hitting a large coffee can about 1/3 of the time.  I need to work on that! I painted the pratice sinkers white and have not lost many so far.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:02am

May I suggest you try fluoro pink spray paint. I remember reading about someone who tied short streamers to his lead glandes. These were still visible when the gland had actually buried itself on impact.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:16am

Quote:
     I have a casting pot and ladle from when I  casted .577 minie bullets. I used to be able to turn out a heck of a pile of bullets in a hour so I figured it would be better to just cast my sling ammo.

The egg sinker is more tradional in shape but the round sinker should be more accurate. Does anyone have experiance useing lead? If so what shape would you pick?  BTW- 2nd post.  Thanks

Sounds like you had one of those Parker - Hale "Enfield" muskets. Which barrel length?   (LOVERLEY)

According to the experts, for slinging the eggshaped ones are better than round. In ancient times military slingers used lead "glandes" with deadlier results than when using even the best stones. They evidently fly end first if thrown correctly with the same advantage as minies over round ball rifles.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:49am

[quote] I am lucky enough to own some acres on the  Shenandoah River here in Virginia, USA so I have a lot of room and have even built a range of sorts for slinging[/quote]

So can I be presumptuous and suggest you host the first allcomers - world slinging meet ?

I do believe you're the first member to fit all the criteria neccessary to make this thing happen.

I suspect if such a thing were organised there are a fair number of us who could afford both the time and travelling costs necessary to get there :-)

It was lobohunter who added streamers to his glandes.

I also believe you're the first member who has successfully hunted with a sling - congratulations :-)

So what type/length do you favour then ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:27am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1174726906/0#9 date=1175683781]I also believe you're the first member who has successfully hunted with a sling - congratulations :-) [/quote]

It was already done.

[list][*][url=http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1122472856/2#2]Re: Here goosey goosey..[/url]
[*][url=http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1120452057/1#1]Re: Hunting, long or short sling?[/url]
[*]...
[/list]

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 1:09am

Aussie wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:16am:
Quote:
     I have a casting pot and ladle from when I  casted .577 minie bullets. I used to be able to turn out a heck of a pile of bullets in a hour so I figured it would be better to just cast my sling ammo.

The egg sinker is more tradional in shape but the round sinker should be more accurate. Does anyone have experiance useing lead? If so what shape would you pick?  BTW- 2nd post.  Thanks

Sounds like you had one of those Parker - Hale "Enfield" muskets. Which barrel length?   (LOVERLEY)

According to the experts, for slinging the eggshaped ones are better than round. In ancient times military slingers used lead "glandes" with deadlier results than when using even the best stones. They evidently fly end first if thrown correctly with the same advantage as minies over round ball rifles.

In fact it was a Parker-Hale Musketoon Artillery Carbine. It kept breaking the port side main spring paw so I got rid of it but the bullets cast for it worked very well in the 1863 Springfield I had. Man, the overall quality of the Parker-Hale was great. I guess they just got a bad lot of main springs. I wish I still had it.

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 1:40am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1174726906/0#9 date=1175683781][quote] I am lucky enough to own some acres on the  Shenandoah River here in Virginia, USA so I have a lot of room and have even built a range of sorts for slinging[/quote]

So can I be presumptuous and suggest you host the first allcomers - world slinging meet ?

I do believe you're the first member to fit all the criteria neccessary to make this thing happen.

I suspect if such a thing were organised there are a fair number of us who could afford both the time and travelling costs necessary to get there :-)

It was lobohunter who added streamers to his glandes.

I also believe you're the first member who has successfully hunted with a sling - congratulations :-)

So what type/length do you favour then ?[/quote]

You know that is definatly food for thought, I don't use my river property as much as I should anyway.  I just spent 3hrs mowing it tuesday and thought it would be nice to enjoy it more. Hell, who knows I just might come up with something. If nothing else it could be a place where folks here could camp out, sling, fish, BBQ, play in the river, etc. Its mostly open and grassey and hardly no river bank so there is easy river access. Shoot, it looks better than my lawn for the most part and has a pavillion, BBQ-Pit and a Outhouse!  I am aprox. 60+ miles west of Dulles International Airport.

Target of oppertunity is more accurate than hunting as far my sling kills go.

I prefer a sling of 20-24 inches folded. I keep a 18 inch in my hunting kit to sling rocks to scare squirrels around a tree so I can get a rifle shot at them. Its more of a useful tool than a weapon when I hunt. I've moved deer from thick bedding areas with the sling too.

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:58am

FunSlinger wrote on Apr 5th, 2007 at 2:00am:
Quote:
I am lucky enough to own some acres on the  Shenandoah River here in Virginia, USA

Gee, anywhere in the vacinity of Luray caverns? My wife and I did some kayaking down there last summer, and if I can help it, will be doing so again this summer, since it's a short drive down that way.

My property is on the main branch of the Shenandoah about 500 yds down river from Morgan's Ford low water bridge in Warren Co. Va.  That would be aprox. 30 miles down river from Luray. You were on the South Fork of the river. The confluence of the N&S forks is in Front Royal where I live.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 6:28am

[quote]If nothing else it could be a place where folks here could camp out, sling, fish, BBQ, play in the river, etc.[/quote]

When can I move in ?
What sort of fish you got in the river ?
Fresh fish on the bar-by - got any crayfish ?
What sort of weather do you get say late summer ?

Seriously though - this probably deserves a seperate thread to see what sort of serious interest there would be.
Hell I haven't had a holiday for 2 years - if it's on I'm in :-)
Fly into dulles - hire an rv (not much into camping these days lol) and go do some fishing (and slinging - obviously)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15)