Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chain or weighted sling (Read 4015 times)
kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

chain or weighted sling
Mar 23rd, 2007 at 6:45pm

i was wondering if it would be probable to weight a sling, possibly by making it out of chainmail. it might allow you to throw lighter objects, or have more velocity.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: chain or weighted sling
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 9:33pm

Don't know about the lighter objects or more velocity but your local emergency room physician is going to love you. High velocity piece of metal near your face, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Marc Adkins

kelthen wrote on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 6:45pm:
i was wondering if it would be probable to weight a sling, possibly by making it out of chainmail. it might allow you to throw lighter objects, or have more velocity.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 12:37am

Short answer: no.
Physics answer:
When making a sling heavier, it takes more work to move it up to a given velocity. This will give you the impression that you are slinging something heavier than you are. It therefore seems as though that energy is going to go into the projectile, but it does not - instead the extra effort of a heavy sling stays behind in the sling.
In other words:
If you have a golf club heavier than another golf club moving at the same velocity it will transfer more energy to the golfball because it is an impact.
The sling is simply an extension of your arm, so the energy does not go from the sling into the projectile, rather the energy is always in the projectile.
If you think about it, it is possible to have some sort of positive effect (through pushing the projectile {not how a normal sling works})- but in these situations there is almost no useful power to begin with. You also have to account though for the extra energy it will take for the projectile to open a heavy pouch as opposed to a lighter one.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:51am

If you're going to throw something light you need ideally a very light sling to go with it Cheesy. But also streamlined.

I believe the main problem with slinging light projectiles is that the air resistance on the sling during the throw messes up the timing by retarding the sling. In that way, a weighted sling (being less subject to air resistance) will keep the timing and thus allow you to keep the same form as for the normal heavier projectile that you might use. In that sense it allows you to throw the light projectile faster.

I don't know how you throw, but I'd follow winkleried's advice and make sure your medical insurance is up to date Smiley.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 6:23am

There have been several threads about this in the past, search and read.
But if you sling with extreme light ammo, a very light pouch is a mistake.
Some weight in the pouch will tell you where it is and it will help you in getting it swinging right.
It is figuring out the max weight that is still helpfull that is the hard thing.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 7:19am

Actually the weighted pouch is necessary to STOP you injuring yourself.
You need the resistance of a decent weight in the sling to get the whole throw working properly. Try slinging with an empty sling it's a lot more damaging to your muscles. It's like throwing a hard punch and missing. Does more damage to the muscles involved than connecting.

Same effect can be felt when slinging with light ammo.
A heavily weighted pouch would allow you to throw lighter projectiles simply becaue your muscles would be working far more efficiently in the throw and you could put a lot more effort into it efficiently.

Quite how you would hurt yourself I have no idea, when I've slung. the sling and pouch is either out in front at waist or shoulder height or pointing at the ground. AT no point does it go anywhere near my head.

So yes from a practical (ie what actually matters) point of view a weighted pouch will help you sling light weight projectiles (like paintballs) with greater velocity - ignore the physics it's the physiology that takes precedent in this matter.

I just haven't come up with a decent design for a flexible weighted pouch yet :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 2:59pm

My lead-cored whip-sling feels very nice to throw, with no discernable loss of power. That's not to say that there isn't some, but I'll agree with c_a that the physiology and mechanics of the throw compensate. There is much less "play" thn you'd feel with unweighted cords, and it is possible that the heavy release cord contributes to cleaner dumping of the pouch. I'd even go as far as to say that it might be possible that the "unrolling" action of the sling [i]boosts[/u] projectile speed. Maybe, maybe not... but unless we're starting to talk about *very* heavy cords and pouch I'm not willing to dismiss the idea outright.

I played around with a compound sling design that had a very heavy weight fastened halfway up the retention cord. I never got it working reliably, but you never know!

Matthias

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm

and if you made a chain mail sling pouch, you could possibly light something on fire and throw it. the sling would not burn up. (thats me, always the practical one Grin)

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 2:59pm

Light sling + heavier ammo = best option i believe...

Wasn't there a post a while back about someone trying to make a chainmail sling? Its just gonna snap on ya if you try

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 3:51pm

Of course the upshot is that if nothing else, you can use the sling as a weapon

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Grin

That deffinately works! one problem i have with the chainmail pouch and it holding up to flaming objects... what about whatever youve got the chainmail tied too... fire will likely catch on that...  Cry

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 4:29pm

That's different. The compound sling has two connected masses and the energy is transmitted from one mass to the other. The booster mass of the compund sling should ideally stop completly at the point of release.

A pouch however has the same speed as the projectile at the release so if you make it heavier more energy stays in the sling and less energy goes into the projectile.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 5:02pm

SlingWolf wrote on Mar 28th, 2007 at 6:31pm:
one problem i have with the chainmail pouch and it holding up to flaming objects... what about whatever youve got the chainmail tied too... fire will likely catch on that...  Cry

What are you using as cords? Reading your question I just tried setting fire to a piece of hemp cord. I put my lighter at it for one second or so and it only charred slightly. I didn't test it longer because it didn't smell nice and I am inside. I wouldn't use nylon, that could melt... but thinking of it, I wouldn't put anything burning into my sling in the first place! What do you want to do?!

FunSlinger wrote on Mar 29th, 2007 at 4:39pm:
The issue/topic was weighting the sling, not just the pouch of that sling. Think of a whip. It very much does impart its energy (just as the compound sling) into its tip. That is why Matthias's weighted sling cracks, and why his compound sling works in terms of transferring energy down the thing axially.

Ah, ok, then it was a misunderstanding. Weighting the cords might help indeed. But I would keep the cords near the pouch (and the pouch itself) as light as possible.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 5:27pm

Ask badger what my slings are made of he made em for me Smiley

But the problem i have... you wont be exposing cords to flame for just a second... how many times will you launch something before the sling becomes a hazard (may break and send the flaming item flying into friendlies)?

You need something that is non flamable to extend the first couple inches from the pouch... small cable maybe? The only thing I'm unsure about is its ability to hold/release... im not sure if the cord will move around too much or too little...

|
     |
     |
    O
   OO
  OOO
   OO
    O
     |
     |
     |

Attached that way... im worried about it perhaps not having a stable enough connection between the small cable and the pouch, and it might just move around too much... if someone has a better idea feel free to share

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 8:20am

I believe douglas the black (may he rest in whatever peace he disappeared to :-) made a sling pouch out of those sprung steel keyring circles.
Sort of like chainmail but much easier to make and get hold of.
He was slightly obsessed with slinging fireballs :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)