Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Water Balloon Wars (Read 1778 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Water Balloon Wars
Mar 23rd, 2007 at 4:44am

A friend up in Calgary, Alberta introduced me to a sling he designed for company picnics to throw water balloons... (the little ones from the dollar store a bit bigger than an extra large egg).  I subsequently tried to make a patch with slits in it to expand the patch around the balloon.  It really takes a lot of support to keep from rupturing the little fella when you dial in the power during that part of the stroke.  Anyway... they have a "war" each year at the picnic and once in a while someone actually hits someone with a throw... sometimes it degenerates into tackling and popping all the opponents ammo but it's all in good fun.

Any other members out there have any experience along these lines?????????

George N

George N

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: Water Balloon Wars
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 8:56pm

Gunsonwheels wrote on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 4:44am:
It really takes a lot of support to keep from rupturing the little fella when you dial in the power during that part of the stroke.

I have tried to do this before, and I'm sure others here have too.  You are right about the support!  I made a quick sling out of an old t-shirt (I think it was jersey-knit cotton, like most t-shirts), and paracord from and older sling.  It had plenty of support, but the balloons still popped in mid swing.  I'm sure it's do-able, with enought time.  I only spent 30 or so minutes trying before switching to  a different sling and tennis balls to stay drier.

Ideas to make it work:

Make sure the sling cups the balloon as much as possible, so it doesn't flatten out too much.
     Don't fill the water balloons very full (I tried this, and it didn't work unless the balloons were ridiculously small)
     Don't sling at full power (for me, this robs water balloon slinging of all purpose)
     Use a long sling (might limit centripetal force for the same velocity)
     Accelerate the balloon as slowly and evenly as possible (I favor a single spin, but two spins might help)

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 9:06pm

Double up your balloons. Put one inside the other before filling and you should eliminate the problem.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 8:18pm

The guy in Canada used a piece of moosehide from the knee-cap area which already had a natural pouch shape.

George N

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 9:31am

I guess that would work for him, but we're a little short of moose down here in Texas.  You can take a piece of vegetable tanned leather, though, like what they make belts or billfolds from, wet it and stretch it to shape.  When it dries, it will hold that shape.  That might work the same way.  I guess the idea is that it doesn't allow the balloon to flatten out over the edges of the sling cup, and break?  It would be a specialized sling, I think, and not too good for regular, rigid ammo, which might roll around and go off track.  Just a thought.

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 4:40pm

M. Demetrius
What! no bigger and better moose in The lone star state lol
Well we don't have them here in oregon either. I will just have to settle for elk knee hide. Saw a herd of about fifty just yesterday

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 8:06am

now that's something I'd like to have a go at biltonging (much better south african version of jerky)
done: beef, turky thigh, pigeon breast, venison and gammon. Elk could be a true great :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris)