Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attaching chords to a patch (Read 1919 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Attaching chords to a patch
Mar 23rd, 2007 at 3:16am

Before I was ten my Dad showed me his way of making a sling...
Cut out a patch of leather a couple inches wide in the middle and tapering down to about a half inch wide on the ends... total patch length about 4-5"   Tie a figure eight knot in the patch-ends of your chords.  Place the chord on the patch with the knot about 3/4 inch inside the end of the patch.  Roll the patch ends up around the end of the chord and whip the two together... the old Boy Scout manual will show you how to whip a countinuous chord... one without an end.  After whipping the two together, pull the chord as to pull it out of the whipping... as you do so the figure eight knot will wedge into the hole formed by the whipped patch end.  Loop the finger end of the retained chord and whip it also so the open loop just fits your middle finger.  Tie the release end with a figure eight knot.  Play with the placement of the release knot until it lies next to the retained chord right where your thumb and forefinger come together at the same time the patch ends of the chord are even with each other.  For the whipping string use waxed linen or nylon shoe sole stitching... a good shoe repair shop will sell you a remnant roll for pretty cheap.  A little Snow Seal or warmed bees wax worked into the whip coil is also a good finish.

A couple of notes: 
Pulling the chords as they pull when tensioned from a throw will stretch the patch into a cupping shape... no patch stretching with mink oil or other leather treatment is required.
Engineers know about something called "notch sensitivity".  Cutting a hole in a patch where a chord passes through it is a good example of the phenomenae.  Patches will be prone to tear at that point due to notch sensitivity and the high stress concentrations at that point.  The whipped attachment method eliminates that problem because the patch has no holes in it and the forces are distributed around the width of the whipped roll.  I've had a good tough goatskin patch for over thirty years that has worn out about four sets of leather chords and three sets of "accessory chord" (3mm dia. "climbing rope") and the patch shows no sign of giving out any time soon.  Try it... maybe you'll like it.

George N

George N

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Attaching chords to a patch
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 5:15am

I wrap the patch ends before the whip so the open edges of the roll face inside... that way the pulling of the chords during the throw tends to form the patch around the projectile.  Holding the sling chords on either side of the patch and pulling them so they stretch the patch will demonstrate that forming effect... the patch tends to roll or form the same as its ends... thus the why of facing the roll edges in.

GeorgeN

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 7:30am

that's all very complicated, pretty yes, but complicated. I just use a loop at the end of my cords, shove it through a hole in the pouch and feed the cord back through and pull tight. Utterly secure, dead easy, hell you don't even need to secure the loop, the act of pulling it tight does that for you.

Now it may not be aesthetically pleasing - BUT I can easily switch my cords to different pouches, currently got the Aussie on them, but now weather improving I'll be switching back to my small leather pouch again fairly soon :-) 
You can even try different length cords with the same pouch.

I just don't see why you lot have to make it look so complicated :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 7:34am

George can you post a picture? Undecided

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 1:20pm

I'll get a picture in the next few days...  to curious_ardvaark... I'm sorry about being complicated but my nature is such that any creation of man is to be improved on and the creator thereof has the greatest responsibility to make the improvements.  I REALLY liked your response idea though as it too would tend to pinch a section of the patch to hold it instead of being totally concentrated at the hole...  BIG THANKS!

George N

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:32pm

Gunsonwheels.

I want to make a sling like the one you are describing.  I don't understand how to do the underlined parts.  Can you help me out?

Gunsonwheels wrote on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 3:16am:
Before I was ten my Dad showed me his way of making a sling...
Cut out a patch of leather a couple inches wide in the middle and tapering down to about a half inch wide on the ends... total patch length about 4-5"   Tie a figure eight knot in the patch-ends of your chords.  Place the chord on the patch with the knot about 3/4 inch inside the end of the patch.  Roll the patch ends up around the end of the chord and whip the two together... the old Boy Scout manual will show you how to whip a countinuous chord... one without an end.  After whipping the two together, pull the chord as to pull it out of the whipping... as you do so the figure eight knot will wedge into the hole formed by the whipped patch end.  Loop the finger end of the retained chord and whip it also so the open loop just fits your middle finger.  Tie the release end with a figure eight knot.  Play with the placement of the release knot until it lies next to the retained chord right where your thumb and forefinger come together at the same time the patch ends of the chord are even with each other.  For the whipping string use waxed linen or nylon shoe sole stitching... a good shoe repair shop will sell you a remnant roll for pretty cheap.  A little Snow Seal or warmed bees wax worked into the whip coil is also a good finish.

A couple of notes:  
Pulling the chords as they pull when tensioned from a throw will stretch the patch into a cupping shape... no patch stretching with mink oil or other leather treatment is required.
Engineers know about something called "notch sensitivity".  Cutting a hole in a patch where a chord passes through it is a good example of the phenomenae.  Patches will be prone to tear at that point due to notch sensitivity and the high stress concentrations at that point.  The whipped attachment method eliminates that problem because the patch has no holes in it and the forces are distributed around the width of the whipped roll.  I've had a good tough goatskin patch for over thirty years that has worn out about four sets of leather chords and three sets of "accessory chord" (3mm dia. "climbing rope") and the patch shows no sign of giving out any time soon.  Try it... maybe you'll like it.

George N  

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 10:51pm

ArizonaSlinger,

As it happens, Captain Paul just joined and posted photos of one of his slings,
here
and
here
.  Take a look at how he attaches cords to his pouch.  I think GunsOnWheels is describing the same thing.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 6:30am

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1126186019/10#10

this is simpler, but needs a fairly thick piece of leather to be secure.

SV

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 10:53am

what's wrong with loops ? More secure than any other method. Quicker, absolutely no skill in anything other than bending a bit of string into a loop required. And it holds the pouch flat and slightly curved.

:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)