Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet again... the Lahun Egyptian Sling (Read 1434 times)
Xenophanes
Tiro

Just getting started!

Southern California, USA
Yet again... the Lahun Egyptian Sling
Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:13pm

Hello everyone.

I was hoping to get a little bit of help here.  I'm trying to follow in the footsteps of many before me and reconstruct the Egyptian sling from El Lahun.  Unfortunately I can find a source for the publication.  My local city and university library does not have access to it.

Does anyone have a PDF or digital copy of:

An Ancient Egyptian Sling Reconstructed, E. Martin Burgess 1958, Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, 2.10 June:226-30.

Anyone?   Smiley  I think this would save a lot of headache for everyone if this was found on the site somewhere in PDF format.  The Journal is now defunct and I think the information is now public domain (28 years for a work published in 1958).  I know at least two (three?) of the fellow forum users who have attempted this reconstruction.  I'm more than willing to put the time into its reconstruction I just need the details.

Thanks all for any assistance.  I am almost done with my first sling (braided hemp with leather pouch) and I will post pictures as soon as it is all good and has been tested!  It will feel good to start slinging again after so many years.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Yet again... the Lahun Egyptian Sling
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 10:45pm

There are a lot of us that would love to have this or any other reference that deals with the sling...
BTW public domain doesn't start until about 70 some years have passed.

Marc Adkins

Xenophanes wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:13pm:
Hello everyone.

I was hoping to get a little bit of help here.  I'm trying to follow in the footsteps of many before me and reconstruct the Egyptian sling from El Lahun.  Unfortunately I can find a source for the publication.  My local city and university library does not have access to it.

Does anyone have a PDF or digital copy of:

An Ancient Egyptian Sling Reconstructed, E. Martin Burgess 1958, Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, 2.10 June:226-30.

Anyone?   Smiley  I think this would save a lot of headache for everyone if this was found on the site somewhere in PDF format.  The Journal is now defunct and I think the information is now public domain (28 years for a work published in 1958).  I know at least two (three?) of the fellow forum users who have attempted this reconstruction.  I'm more than willing to put the time into its reconstruction I just need the details.

Thanks all for any assistance.  I am almost done with my first sling (braided hemp with leather pouch) and I will post pictures as soon as it is all good and has been tested!  It will feel good to start slinging again after so many years.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Xenophanes
Tiro

Just getting started!

Southern California, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 4:52pm

I think (from reading another post on this subject) that at least two people have a copy of this article.  I'll try to find that post (it is somewhere deep in these posts).

The public domain 'can' be 70 years, but it isn't automatically 70.  A work in 1958 would have had to be renewed 28 years later or would become public domain.  I am not sure, but I don't think this journal lasted that long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

Examples:
"In the United States, Frank Capra's classic film, It's a Wonderful Life (1946) entered into the public domain in 1974, because someone inadvertently failed to file a copyright renewal application with the Copyright Office during the 28th year after the film's release or publication."
and
"Currently four shorts by the Three Stooges are in the public domain due to accidental failure to renew their copyrights in the 60s. These are Disorder in the Court, Brideless Groom, Malice in the Palace, and Sing a Song of Six Pants."

Doesn't really matter if it is public domain or not.  I am going to contact another library and see if I can order a copy of this article and post a copy of it for everyone.

IP Logged

Xenophanes
Tiro

Just getting started!

Southern California, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:08pm

Ah... here is the post.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1140984986/0

Gaius Cornelius and funda_iucunda appear to both have this document.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)