Throwing techniques (Read 17849 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Throwing techniques
Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:43am

lmao - oh that makes me feel so much safer ;-)

Actually redbacks are more poisonous and smaller than black widows, possibly related but it'd have to be some 100 thousand years or so back.

With black widow bites they reckon the antivenom is worse than the bites lol
What a choice.

On the other hand I have been to california and wasn't bitten by a black widow, so I might survive in auss. But the comment about hoovering up huntsman spiders, oh hell no, if they come in the house that's it, forget it, I'll go to new zealand instead - at least there it's just the national sports that kill you ;-)

I mean what kind of soceity invents bungee jumping ????
[i](hmm, you're a bit of a wimp really aren't you ? lol only when it comes to things that might kill me unnecessarily ;-)[/i]

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:21pm

Actually it's time to get this thread away from, "Your wildlife is deadlier than my wildlife" discussion and back on to slinging technique. Especially as in the aforesaid New Zealand there doesn't seem to be any. Do you know I have not received a single request for an AussiePOUCH from New Zealand? You need to go there and spread the word.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 7:42am

probably not dangerous enough - make one big enough to sling full grown adult kiwis and you'll have loads of takers.

Actually don't think there are any kiwi members - wonder why not ?

On the subject of techniques. I've been using various fig8 variations at the moment. mainly because the grass is so long in the fields I have to keep the sling well above waist height for the duration of the throw. And while I don't quite get the velocity with fig8 that i do with sidearm - the fig 8 windup can actually be used to start most of the other release styles.

Just have to try and get some sort of accuracy into it now :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #33 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 10:22am

I'm working on a technique where the entire arm does a figure 8. It's kind of a combination of the over and underhand technique. Right now I'm fairly consistant and get a lot of power from it. Working on it, I hit myself in the butt and elbow more times than I care to confess. The elbow was on the arm that I was holding the sling with.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 12:14pm

sounds like you need a shorter sling if you're doing full arm swings.
I prefer to use my wrist for the first half of the fig8 wind up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)