Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newby (Read 1967 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Newby
Mar 21st, 2007 at 4:54pm

Been slinging ever since I can remember... now 63.  I'm interested in knowing if the throwing technique I use is both known and/or used by others.  Are there any pictures or descriptions of the "figure eight style"?  I long ago came to the conclusion the technique one uses to become deadly and accurate is critical to that process.  I came up with one but...???

Previouly shared the technique with the primitive skills forum out of Quebec U but they seem to have past. 

It's nice to see a site where some of the equipment and skills of the ancients are both rediscovered and shared.

George N

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Newby
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:11pm

Welcome to the forum Gunsonwheels. This little gif is probably the best description of the throw variously known as the fig-8 around here.

It's a very good throw, although a relatively slow windup. You can put a lot of your body into this one for power and distance. Like any other, release late and you'll miss your aim. I spiked my first few throws when trying to pick this up, and still find it a bit awkward to get the high-elevation launch needed for distance - the release still feels a split second early to me. One big (BIG) benefit with this throw is that the release is relatively "safe". Late just puts it in the dirt, and if it is early enough to go straight up chances are the power is pretty low. Not having to worry about missing to one side or another has made this the throw I teach beginners - no need to find a bunker to hide behind during practice!

I suspect that sling length is relatively important for this style. I'm thinking of trying different lengths again to see if I can get a more intuitive release point going.

Matthias
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007 at 9:04pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:23pm

Welcome!

Matthias wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:11pm:
One big (BIG) benefit with this throw is that the release is relatively "safe".

The release might be safe, but I already hammered a stone on my head during the wind-up...

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:39pm

I practiced this windup for a week before applying a stone to the pocket of my sling... I used a monkey-fist formed around a medium density foam ball and attached this to a line with a finger loop like my retention cord ( same length as retention cord)... I couldn't practice release ... but could practice the windup at speed
Benefit ... no scuff-marks on the back of my head  Cool

Gunsonwheels  we look forward to seeing your comments out in the forums..

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 9:53pm

here is a video of most of the techniques I know:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156823087/0#0

I hit myself on the ankle once on the wind up for a figure 8, hurts like hell  Cry but that's about it.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:17am

Steven wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:39pm:
I practiced this windup for a week before applying a stone to the pocket of my sling... I used a monkey-fist formed around a medium density foam ball and attached this to a line with a finger loop like my retention cord ( same length as retention cord)... I couldn't practice release ... but could practice the windup at speed
Benefit ... no scuff-marks on the back of my head  Cool

I didn't start with stones, I am not that foolish. Wink I thought that I already could do it... But I guess I tried to change the movement a bit and that was a problem. Also my sling was probably to short (it was my 55cm sling I used for the apache overhand).

It was a strange feeling. I hit the left top of my forehead and the impact went down to the jaws. Actually the joints of my jaws hurt, too. What did I do after that? I did some more figure-8 throws. Wink Later I noticed I was bleeding a bit. The wound almost disapeared now.

That's the only injury I got from slinging until now and I hope it will stay the only.

IP Logged

Nolo
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Kapow! Krakow!
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:33pm

Hello, I am new to slinging and I have created two slings (one leatherpouched braided leather thong that I don't use and another same only with braided cotton string), and I was wondering what the "proper" length for a sling was for a man of my height (5'8") was?
I use the sling for FFCS (Foam Fighting Contact Sports) and can't throw a solid foam ball worth crap. Oh well. Probably gonna need to put a solid core in the things.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 6:16am

Jeepers I really love the animation.  I tried this technique after reading Ballard's article in 1985 (Mother Earth News but kept wrapping it into my head (about fifty or so tries)).  I subsequently started by tossing the patch and projectile to the left... keeping the lines taught... and it blended in much better for me.  I think what I'm doing is the tennis technique after reading it's description and the rlease is a bit sidearm.  I'm out in the sticks and my internet connection is so slow I have to make it to town to the library to view the video clips of the various techniques.  I really like my current technique (again "tennis" I think) as it is very accurate and very powerful.  After a long layoff I start throwing softly at an 8" circle about 30 feet away.  As the release and technique come back I start adding the power... then I move back to 50 feet and get it dialed in from there.  I use 1" neoprene balls to start and then move to 7/8" steel.  I really believe the technique is the key to both power and accuracy.  The first 30 or so years of my life I could throw a stone well over 150 yards but couldn't hit anything consistently until I found the current technique.  I can bang 'em into the circle about 8 out of 10 after a couple days of practice.
GeorgeN

George N

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)