Send Topic Print
Annals of Tigernach (Read 4485 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Annals of Tigernach
Mar 19th, 2007 at 11:17am

Yet another example if the Irish love of the sling.
  The Annals of Tigernach is a record of things in Ireland until about the 13th cent, AD.
In 1156, Toirdelbach hua Chonobair, the King of Ireland dies. The Annals list his possessions;
  "He offered all his treasures, except sword or drinkinghorn or shield or weapon, both horses and cattle and rainment, and draughtboard and draughtmen ( the game of Fidchell) bows and arrows, and slings; and he himself distributed them all, and ordained the share of each church according to order."
  It shows that slings were thought well enough to be mentioned in a will.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Annals of Tigernach
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:12pm

Nice find there, slingbadger.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:49pm

not just that - the will of a king. And important enough to be mentioned seperately.

where do you get this stuff from ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 5:52pm

Quite simple, CA. I don't have a life Roll Eyes

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 6:18pm

Now that makes me wonder what kind of slings that were. Did someone make them out of silk?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 11:34am

Oh Man I can definately Identify with that statement Smiley

slingbadger wrote on Mar 19th, 2007 at 5:52pm:
Quite simple, CA. I don't have a life Roll Eyes

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:04pm

More than likely they were made of leather or some kind of hemp or flax.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:48am

was hemp or flax prevalent in ireland 1000 years ago ?

Leather sure - also bear in mind the prevailing climate in ireland (rain most days and slightly less rain on good weather days)
How well do hemp and flax ropes stand against rotting in very damp conditions ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 10:28am

The silk wasn't a serious question, I just wondered why the slings were mentioned at all.

Flax and hemp were the default materials in medieval europe. Other than that I think there was only wool and leather. Hemp is really tough and was used for sails and the ship ropes.

By the way, clothes were also made of flax and hemp and I doubt they rot so fast. Wink

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:43pm

Quite true Dravonak. I make my suggestion based on a few descritions of slings from that timeperiod. Generally a leather pouch and flax cords.
I believe that hemp was grown, even as far north as Scotland in the Middle Ages

And before anyone else says it, that is NOT why they were called the Highlands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)