Send Topic Print
coin sling (Read 2930 times)
Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
coin sling
Mar 19th, 2007 at 10:59am

I haven't been on in a while, but I was thinking, is there some way to "sling" a coin (like a penny) in a way that is spins. If you sling it out of a regular sling the power is much reduced because it doesn't spin like a frisbee. I was thinking one way you could do this is to have a stick with a deep but thin wooden cup on one side- one that a penny would fit in, and have a strip of leather attached to the top that reaches to the bottom. like this:
________________[   ]
---------------------------
__ =stick
-- =leather
[   ] =cup
the coin fits in the cup an it throws like a sling

One other idea I had was to have two sticks attached by a hinge and on the far corners by a rubber band:
       /|
     /  |
   /    |
/      |

|  _ =sticks
/ =rubber band
like that. On one stick a there is a groove that the coin could fit in. To shoot it you bend the stick at the hinge so the rubber band stretches and release to throw.
So what do you think?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: coin sling
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:24pm

love the ascii drawings.
you'd probbaly have more luck with a curved cesta like shape with a groove along that the coins runs along. A sideways cast would release the coin on a flat arc and spinning like a frisbee :-)

I am not even going to attempt that in ascii lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:58pm

hmm... I dont get the drawings but i understand the idea.   if it works its pretty cool. just try it out, only way to know if it works

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:19pm

i agree with aardvark. Would you by chance be sharpening this penny? Wink

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

dona eais requiem...

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:20pm

or setting fire to it? (see trading post rules)

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:48am

lmao - if kelthen is going near the matches - I'm leaving the area :-)

A decent coin would not need to be sharpened. they can do serious damage as they are.

Actually polos (lifesavers for you yanks) are brilliant for throwing as they explode on impact and are fully biodegradable and very cheap :-)

As kids we used to have polo wars in the cinema on a saturday morning - I always was an acuurate throw with a polo ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

dona eais requiem...

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:48pm

what does imao mean? (ooh... matches!)

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:50am

kelthen wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:48pm:
what does imao mean? (ooh... matches!)

"Laughing my ass off"?

Bwahaha, the censor is so funny! Anyway, it was a three-letter-word starting with "a" and ending with "ss".

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:15am

nah it's a four letter word starting in arse :-)
And that i believe proves the censor is american lol

IP Logged

Bob26
Novicius

Used to be Dylan Auty

London, England
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:00pm

i dont really understand the description. i might be saying the same thing, but what about a piece of 3 inch long wood bent into a cemicircle, like a slice cut out of a bowl. then cut a groove in it in which the coin would fit.
to make it work u would need to swing the sling above your head to get it to go like a frisbee, or to just sling it with some top spin then you could sling it vertically.
even so, it would work only once every 10 tries.
Bob26

The early bird need not catch the worm when he can order pizza at midnight.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:18pm

I had given some thought to making one of these. Only I would make it so the coin flips, instead of flying like a frisbee. I was thinking the pouch should be a split pouch, but have a third braid down the middle. Put the penny in the wide way so the middle braid keeps it from falling out. I would think a quick overhand would give the penny a good flip. The reason I think fliping the penny would be better is based on my experience snapping them out of my fingers. Has anyone ever tried this. If not her is how to do it. Put your fingers together like you would to snap them now place a penny between them. Hold your hand back by yuor ear and point your elbow at the target. The penny should be barely hanging between your fingers. Now snap but dont move your arm. The penny will fly in the direction of your elbow. I can easily clear twenty feet. Once you get good you can break light bulbs, vases, sometimes leave a good bruise on your oppent. I have seen a cracked window from this. My kids love it when I have to flip a coin to decide something. I snap the coin against the carpet with enough force to bounce it back to my hand. I assume this is something everyone knows how to do.

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

dona eais requiem...

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:00pm

i cant decipher your cryptic anwers. WHAT DOES IMAO MEAN????

IP Logged

Rahil
Tiro

:o

Canada BC
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:30pm

you could trie getting like a small round or whatever shap piece of wood, make a slit  leading from one side of the pouch to the other so that is can fit the penny when its upright and so it will roll out when slung and it might spin.

Huh

trigger line>  ╗___________            _________O <loop thing for finger
                                        \\=@=// < wooden pouch
                                             Penny
like half of the penny in the wood

(I wrote this when i was 12 but im keeping it for history sake) i can use a bow, im not very good at slinging but just starting to learn, i can fence good, throw spears well, build stuff, make a weapon out of stuff i find on the ground, staff fighting, i play basketball, football, and i can cook, know tons of knots, and im open to learn ANYTHING new.

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:42am

Rahil wrote on Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:30pm:
you could trie getting like a small round or whatever shap piece of wood, make a slit  leading from one side of the pouch to the other so that is can fit the penny when its upright and so it will roll out when slung and it might spin.

Huh

trigger line>  ╗___________            _________O <loop thing for finger
                                        \\=@=// < wooden pouch
                                             Penny
like half of the penny in the wood

that just might work. you can definitely get more range with that then just by snapping it (although that's fun too)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 3:57pm

the coin sling has been mentioned before I have always wondered if such a tool could be used to propel a chakurm (the india cirlce weapon  sorry about spelling the reason being the exstream range
how much more range would a sling add to say a arobe

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)