Hello everyone! (Read 1420 times)
Xenophanes
Tiro

Just getting started!

Southern California, USA
Hello everyone!
Mar 18th, 2007 at 10:25am

Joining the ranks!

I used to sling back when I was in BoyScouts o' so many years ago.  I hope to get back into it again.  I mainly was brought to this website by my interest in accurate weapon reproductions.  The ancient "Egyptian" (possibly Israeli?) sling particularly interests me.  I hope to reproduce this sling with as much fidelity as possible.

At any rate, I hope to have fun discussions and share images of my sling from my childhood.

Xenophanes

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Hello everyone!
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 2:15pm

Welcome Xenophanes.
Wow, scouts that allow you to learn to sling, that is not often heard around here.

There are a few textiles people on the forums, and when you like to get a little help, just ask.
But also look around, there is a lot here already.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 11:19am

I have a few of my Scouts working on slinging, also. According to the current rule, slings and other stone throwing are not allowed on Scout property, do to insurance risks.
  Good think I hardly ever camp on Scout property Roll Eyes

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Hail Xenophanes and welcome. Have a look around and enjoy yourself. We're all friends here.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 1:31am

slingbadger wrote on Mar 19th, 2007 at 11:19am:
I have a few of my Scouts working on slinging, also. According to the current rule, slings and other stone throwing are not allowed on Scout property, do to insurance risks.
 Good think I hardly ever camp on Scout property Roll Eyes

That's the beauty of using tennis or other balls. Whereas stone throwing is seen as socially unacceptable, throwing balls turns slinging into a nice clean sport.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)