Send Topic Print
Short nylon sling (Read 2937 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Short nylon sling
Mar 13th, 2007 at 9:57pm

I hurt my finger slinging a while ago. (Slinger's finger!)  I was using a thick 8mm nylon sling that was 3 ft long.  It was very heavy and I figured that's why I got injured.I didn't want to throw away the sling because the pocket was made quite well.  

A few nights ago it hit me.  If the sling is too heavy I'll just cut it shorter!  

The sling is now reduced to 17 inches long.  I have been using it for only a few days and it's a dream!  It is by far my most accurate sling.  The feel is awesome.  It has less power than my other slings but only slightly.  Its short length means less momentum in the shot but it also allows a quicker flick which I think compensate a portion of the power-loss.  Rapid firing is easy with it too.  

It also cracks easier than the longer versions which suprised me.  Luckily it is 8mm thick so it is study enough to take some beating.

This short heavy sling takes more muscular power to throw which may cause different injuries down the road.  But hey, at least my finger isn't hurting anymore!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Short nylon sling
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 12:54am

You one-finger slingers always freak me out. I *like* my pinky, and plan to keep it in good shape by using a full-palm grip. Of course, that means no wide-grip for me, unless I use the other little known slinger's finger and run my standard grip backward.  Wink

We need to get a handle on this whole cracking thing... Unfinished business...

This site has pushed me into longer and longer slings. My first ones were very very short by our standards, and preformed very well. Maybe I need to shorten some as well!

Matthias

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 2:04am

The cracking sound is just satisfying Cool. It also feels like a cleaner release.  May be the rock rolls less on the sling if it cracks?

I go back and forth with sling lengths.  Sometimes I feel like using a much longer sling.  It also depends on the style I want to pratice.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 9:34am

I like the cracking sound too. It's easier to do that using short sling or 'dry fire' using a longer sling with figure-8. It sounds cool... Cool It will also sound powerful to those watching.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 11:36am

Quote:
You one-finger slingers always freak me out. I *like* my pinky, and plan to keep it in good shape by using a full-palm grip. Of course, that means no wide-grip for me, unless I use the other little known slinger's finger and run my standard grip backward.   

We need to get a handle on this whole cracking thing... Unfinished business...

This site has pushed me into longer and longer slings. My first ones were very very short by our standards, and preformed very well. Maybe I need to shorten some as well!

Matthias

I agree with the one finger thing but then being a wrist strap convert I no longer worry about slingers finger lol. That helps considering I some times like to toss those one or two pounders lol
As for the crack the whip. as until late I have not really seen it much. With the helicopter like style that I am now using. As a non hunting style. I get the crack with almost every throw It is kinda satifying but plays hell on my slings tearing up the ends of the release cord. I have solved that problem. By using 550 cord. Also known as para cord or 7 strand nylon coated and heat sealing the ends
but before that the crack was even breaking my 1/8 inch leather on the ends

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 8:35am

why would you hook it round your pinky ? I use my index finger, no problem. But I do use quite thick cord and I do attach doubled through a loop so I can pull it tight (no sudden jerks that you might get from a loose loop).

But then I've been yo-yoing for as long as I can remember so my index finger's pretty tough :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:33am

I agree with you FunSlinger, But then again I'm also looking to try and hunt small game with my sling.

Marc Adkins

FunSlinger wrote on Mar 14th, 2007 at 1:29am:
I don't quite understand the appeal of cracking. When I sling I personally want to make as little noise as possible, as would a slinger who slings to hunt. But I suppose it would have been interesting to imagine hundreds of slingers on a wall in ancient times all letting loose their ammo at one time if their slings cracked with a 'report' every time they slung at an advancing enemy...or if they were the advancing enemy.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 4:28pm

Quote:
why would you hook it round your pinky ? I use my index finger, no problem. But I do use quite thick cord and I do attach doubled through a loop so I can pull it tight (no sudden jerks that you might get from a loose loop).

But then I've been yo-yoing for as long as I can remember so my index finger's pretty tough Smiley

For a wider grip to produce a rifle type spin generaly used on football shaped ammo

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Quote:
I wish I had the skill to accurately hit small game. For that matter, I can think of a few cats in the neighborhood that I'd be tempted to hit when they come in my yard. I often see them scratching around in the peat in my flower beds...and you know what that means   . The local ordinances around here state that dogs and cats must be on a leash and not allowed to roam free   . My cat isn't let outside to urinate in their yard. Guess I'll just rely on good ole Crossman Pumpmaster air-rifle. But, I digress.   

funslinger you might try several small rocks in a cupped pouch or a hand full of gravel wrapped in tissue
1. to need less acuracy. 2. to have a less than lethal effect

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 8:03am

I made four loud cracks successfully using the figure-8. I can't always do it right.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 2:44pm

I can use a wide or narrow grip, Not sure the attachment point is relevant. I just interspose however many fingers I feel like between the anchored cord and the release cord. There's no problem with it being attached to the index finger.
And yep I can get some serious spin.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 10:04pm

Quote:
I can use a wide or narrow grip, Not sure the attachment point is relevant. I just interspose however many fingers I feel like between the anchored cord and the release cord. There's no problem with it being attached to the index finger.  
And yep I can get some serious spin.

well see thats a good point. I still desire the extra leverage with the wrist loop but to each there own
And advark you should add that to the alternative loop thread

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:21am

No, see, this is a significant difference in basic sling method. I can't easily modify a grip because I rely on the length of cord between the loop and the "exit" to control and cushion the sling. If I build a pinky sling, I take into account the width of my palm when figuring out where to put the release knot. I can't just move the loop to my index finger because then the rock won't be centered in the pouch! The only way I can (easily) switch from narrow to wide grip with one of my slings is to use an index finger loop and run the cord out through my palm and around the my pinky, so the total used length stays the same.

The one-finger-slingers have an obvious advantage here, apart from risk to life and digit...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 1:44pm

Learn to use a sling without release knot!

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 1:59pm

Hmmm... yes there is that. Go back to using a sling without a release knot - not sure, i've become sort of attached to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)