Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WalMart Bag Sling? (Read 1721 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
WalMart Bag Sling?
Mar 12th, 2007 at 9:48pm

Fellow slingsters, ....my sweetie cut a bunch of WalMart bags into circular strips about 1"wide.  These were then slipped through each other to make a continuous chain.  The chain was rolled up into a ball, then used to crochet a big tote bag.   It's white with black flecks, and you dont know what it's made out of unless you inspect in very closely.

She had some material left over, and used it to crochet a nice little sling.  The pocket holds a tennis ball just right.  Doubt it's strong enough to pitch really heavy ammo, but should work alright with lighter items.

See below.  You have to move the sliders to see it:

WMSling.jpg (829 KB | )
WMSling.jpg

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: WalMart Bag Sling?
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 2:38am

FunSlinger,

I scaled MGreenfield's picture down to quarter-size, try this:

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 12:41pm

it didn't take him any time - his sweetie did it ;-)

But it's a very neat way of recycling plastic bags.

So the next step is make your ammo out of them as well :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 8:43pm

...wish I knew how to reduce pic sizes!!  Many tnx funslinger!!

It took my sweetiepie maybe 1/2hour, not including the time to cut up the bags & link the loops together.   The cords are just simple chain stitches.   To do the pocket, she doubled back on the chain, then went round and round a couple times, like she was starting a small  oblong rug or potholder.  When the pocket was big enough she took off with the simple chain again.  And that was it.  Fast, simple, bulletproof. 

This method may not make the prettiest slings, but it makes a very functional sling very fast, and out of just about anything that can be considered cordage, ....even WalMart bags.  Maybe every slingster should pack a fat crochet hook in his kit!

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 9:08pm

You can even crochet almost as well without the needle, although its success with actual crochet beyond the chain stitch depends on your material. Smiley

Nice sling!

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:23pm

Interesting thing I've found about this plastic material...  Take one of those plastic wrappers they put over newspapers, and secure one end.  Start twisting.  When you've twisted up 10" or so good and tight, PULL on it.  The twisted section will pull out and get much thinner, then stop abruptly.   You can work the whole bag down to a thin and very strong section of poly "cordage" this way.
The stuff is very strong, and it won't untwist either. 
Might well be useful for such things as slings, emergency cordage, whatever.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 12:44am

Good to see you greenie!

Fantastic stuff Bikewer. I have a bag of those bags, and you are absolutely right - using the method described produces *very* nice heavy cord, ideal for just about everything you need cord for. I feel a 2nd coming (the first one sort of petered out) of the slinging.org plastic-bag-challenge rising up! I'll work one out at least, and post the results.

Does anyone remember what the trick with stretching the plastic out is called? Hmm... For those wanting to try, the twisting stage seems pretty important for the best results.

Quote:
Most guys would be embarassed to crochet, but I find knowing how to do it useful. Lips Sealed
Bah! most guys should be embarrassed that they _don't_ have any textile skills to speak of. They can laugh while I'm snug in my knit-rabbit-cloak and they are struggling to stuff enough dry grass down their pants...

Matthias (ready to snare some marmots)

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 12:19am

hey guys, its been a long time since ive been here but slinging is always drawing me back

A long time ago (mayb 1.5 yrs ago?) i posted a few threads about my experiences learning how to crochet for the use of plastic bag slings
I also had some great achievements using plastic bags in the method described for creating cordage

You'd be surprised how long it will hold up

Its even great for braiding.. not only crocheting!!!
Test it out....free slings in no time at all
And no worries about giving a couple to friends.... you can make more in no time at all Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:48pm

FunSlinger wrote on Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:02pm:
That's pretty fast, and she did a very good job with making sure it had all the necessary elements of a good working sling (finger loop, release knot, etc).

Finger loop and release knot are necessary parts? Oopss...I just got rid of them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)