Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
force on a stone, slinging experiences (Read 3153 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: force on a stone, slinging experiences
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:32pm

Dravonk wrote on Mar 10th, 2007 at 3:56pm:
Today I was slinging stones at a lake again. The water level is quite high now, most of the beach is gone. Time to look for another source of many stones.

When I was slinging stones I sometimes noticed two stones leaving my pouch although I only put one stone in. But today something very strange happend. I took a really big stone, threw it and after half the flight it split into two (in midair!). Now I wonder what caused that. Is it the air friction, is it the rotation?
Oh yes, I do need to find better stones...maybe the rough stones are one reason for my poor range.

One shot gave me a fright. I fired a rather big stone when I suddenly saw a duck flying very low over the water and it looked like my stone might hit. The stone hit the water very close to the duck...and the duck plunged into the water too. Shocked Luckily it got up again and continued its flight. I guess I frightend it so badly it forgot to fly and plunged down.

On my way back two deers crossed my way. They can be lucky I was on a bike and not in car.

Diving is probably the naturual reaction, and gives it the best chance of survival:
1) It's fast - a lot faster than getting up to enough speed to fly.
2) Preadators (hawks, eagles, rocks) come from the air, why would you want to get into the air, if that's where the preadator is?

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Re: force on a stone, slinging experiences
Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:53am

I've had a rock or two break in midflight. I always figured it had to do with the spin that they picked up during flight.  Air-resistance can cause a stone which already had a spin (because of the release from the pouch) to spin even faster.  The centripital forces could be very high. The acceleration is:

a=v^2/r

And the force is:

F=ma

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15)