Send Topic Print
Help!!! (Read 2845 times)
Bob26
Novicius

Used to be Dylan Auty

London, England
Help!!!
Mar 10th, 2007 at 2:43pm

Hello. i am new to slinging and i don't know where to start. i tried to make a sling twice and both times failed miserably. i am wondering what type of sling to use, what material to make it out of etc. i also live in the depths of london, so am wondering where i can go use a sling.
thanx.

The early bird need not catch the worm when he can order pizza at midnight.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Help!!!
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Welcome!

I started with braiding a sling though we have a member here who loves sending his high-quality pouches all around the world. Wink

Hmm...slinging in a city is a bit hard. I'd say take some balls (not golf balls: from what I heard they are quite hard and heavy and even bounce back at you) and go to a park when there are not too many other people there. Expect to loose some of the balls. You can try to get old tennis balls that are not fit for playing tennis with anymore.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 4:34pm

Welcome, Dylan Auty!

I also advise against using golf balls or any other hard object, when you are beginning.  Tennis balls are much safer.  People have also made low-impact sling ammo out of paper and duct tape, or yarn, or other soft materials.

The first few slings I made were braided. 
Dan Bollinger
and
Victor Escobar
have written very good instructions on how to do it, starting with nothing but twine.

And as Dravonk mentioned,
AussieSlinger
has offered sling pouches to any who ask (you supply your own cords).  Just send him a private message, introducing yourself and giving your mailing address (do not post it here, the forum is not for private information).

I am not sure how to help you on places; I like parks myself.  An unused baseball, football, or soccer field are good places to sling.  I have also been known to bounce tennis balls off the side of a building, when I can find a large brick wall with no windows next to an open area like a parking lot.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 3:40am

Welcome!

Yes. Definitely stick to something innocuous like tennis balls if you're going to sling in a park. If you have a dog (as several of the members here do) then slinging tennis balls probably won't cause difficulty, but you get a wet slobbery sling Grin.

Somehow you've got to convey to people who see you that you are not a dangerous person! For that reason I avoid the parks in the city where I live (far north of you but in UK). You'll have a better idea than I how people in London are going to react.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 5:36am

Dylan,
please let us know how the things we talked about on the chat work out.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Bob26
Novicius

Used to be Dylan Auty

London, England
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:36am

Hello,
i made a symmetrical tape sling out of kite cord and packing tape. havent had a chance to try it out yet but whenever i put a ball into it it rolls out, so i am pretty limited in terms of ammo unless i make some.
you are saying something about aussieslinger. does he want to trade anything for the pouches?
Dylan

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:31am

Dylan,
You can try to make the pouch wider with tape, just tape a new layer on top, sticking out both sides.
And a second going left to right round it, to make it more sturdy.
But maybe you need to use it outside before working on it, it might help when the sling is moving round.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 10:14am

Loss of ammo can be caused by a pouch that is too small for the size ammo selected.. I've experienced this personally. ... If we call the point where the pouch attaches to the cords the hinge ... the following seems to be true...when the sling hangs down.

If the center of gravity for the ammo is above the hinge point the ammo will easily fall out. ... solution smaller ammo or larger pouch. Smiley

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 11:16am

Another thought .... kite cord is very small diameter ... if a larger cord is used
(3/8 inch or 9-10 mm) to form the pouch then there is a ridge around the pouch when it is taped ... the ridge helps hold your ammo in place .... still can use kite cord for the retention and release cords if it is strong enough.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 1:27pm

get an aussie slinger pouch, excellent for tennis balls on down to fairly small stones. All you need then isna couple of shoe laces and you've got a sling :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bob26
Novicius

Used to be Dylan Auty

London, England
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 2:43pm

i pm'd aussieslinger and gave him my address.
no reply yet though...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 4:47pm

Give it a couple of days.  He may not check this forum every day...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 6:11am

Quote:
i pm'd aussieslinger and gave him my address.
no reply yet though...

Hi Dylan,

I sent you a PM. Please read and reply ASAP.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)