Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Attention English Slingers!!! (Read 8825 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Attention English Slingers!!!
Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:53am

We have desperate need of your abilities!

OK, enough of that. I have contacted a museum in Southampton. They have a piece there that is obviously a sling. ( I brought this up before, in New Sling Find)
  It is currently mis labeled as a "16th cent Saxon shoe tongue". In speaking with the curator, he admits that it really hasn't been investigated since it was found. They are going on the word of the archeologist that found it. However, if someone who is knowledgable could look at it, he could have the classification reviewed.
   This is where you come in.
   Is there anyone who is willing to go to the museum and look at the shoe tongue in person? I think only by looking at it in person could someone make a definite ID. The picture on the website, is alas, a drawing, so one cannot see wear patterns, and other things like that.
   I have shown this drawing to several people in the SCA who are historical bootmakers, and they conclude that it is not a shoe tongue.
  If we work together, we can set to rest what it is, one way or another.
  Any volunteers??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Attention English Slingers!!!
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 3:21pm

Good show, SlingBadger, but I fear I stand at the wrong side of the pond.  Or the right side of the wrong pond.  Or something like that.

Indeed, if the "shoe tongue" shows abrasion typical of a well-used sling pouch, that would be indicative.  If the edges are cut all the way 'round, it is not likely to be a shoe tongue; those are typically a piece with the rest of the upper, and so there should be a torn edge where the tongue was separated from the rest of the shoe.  There are probably other things to look for.

Good luck!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:04pm

I won't be in England till May, but then I will be near Southampton, but not really going there.
If there are no better candidates, sooner or more learned or both, I might be able to stretch my travel a bit that way.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:48pm

I have absolutely no relevant qualifications that any museum curator would believe - but if necessary I could certainly forge some :-)
Not sure that would help long term though :-)
Plus it's a serious run to southampton, might pop down in may to meet willeke I suppose we could rush the museum :-)
If several people wandered in in one day and 'spontaneously' said quite loudly - 'hey look at that sling pouch, some idiots mislabled it'.
That might have some result :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 8:53am

Southampton is the other end of the country, and a dump to boot. I am trying to think of reasons to give my wife why we should 'pop down to Southhampton for the day' but can't.... The only claim to fame the city has is the famous quote by Buff-hoon at the start of the second gulf war.

"Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton," UK defence minister Geoff Hoon said in the Commons yesterday. "He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr," says a British Squaddie patrolling Umm Qasr. Another soldier added: "There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth

Pat

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 5:08pm

Dale, first of all, there are 2 distinctive looking holes at each end of the piece. The overall shape of the thing is oval.
   Look at it for yourself at southampton.gov.uk/archeology//search.asp
  The ID number for it is A 2001. 35.22
  The rest of the site is quite fascinating, by the way

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 3:55am

Well, I hope you meant people who are living in england of any nationality, rather than english people living anywhere in the world? Cheesy And you might include Wales, and Scotland (even Northern Ireland Grin) but we know what you mean.Smiley

I used to know Southampton quite well - perhaps Leeds_Lobber's comments should offend me, but I happen to agree with them.Grin. I may be down there about May time, but I'm not sure it would help.

Given the way the system works in the UK (and most other places I've been Smiley), the curator will want to deal with bona fide academics at some point in this, I would think. He might feel able to change the label to 'Shoe Tongue (possibly sling pouch)' - something like that on the basis of 'public' input.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 5:39am

Wanderer and C_A,
My meeting is near the end of May.
I'll PM you with more details.
Could we meet after that?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 12:46pm

I just had another look at the topic
New Sling Finds
.  Since the last time I read that topic, Lee (who is an archaeologist) added some comments, and provided a link to a
sketch of a 14th-century shoe
and how it was made.  Lee's position was that the artifact in Hedeby Museium looked to him like a sling pouch, but so did some parts of some shoe designs, so no conclusion could be drawn from the evidence available.  More evidence is needed (preferably by examining the artifact).

Of course, nobody would ever even conceive of taking leather from an old shoe, and making a sling out of it... Roll Eyes

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 1:25pm

Good to see no one dismissed my option to forge some relevant papers out of hand lol
I've blagged myself into some interesting places in the past, so it's doable ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 5:29pm

Now let me see. Should I quote the whole message I'm referring to?

Naahhh,,,
Dale wrote on Mar 11th, 2007 at 12:46pm:
...., and provided a link to a
sketch of a 14th-century shoe
and how it was made.

An interesting aside may be that the shoe link refers to an artifact associated with the Mary Rose. This was Henry VIII's flagship which sank with all hands (before Britain ruled the waves Wink) just a few miles down the estuary from Southampton, home of the putative sling pocket.

So much of interest in Southampton - but it's still a dump Grin.

Of course 'english' lived very close by. Anyone know where he went?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 1:26pm

I have contacted the creator of the historic shoe site that the Mary Rose shoe came from. I have asked him to take a look at the situation and give his opinion.
Either way, I think this will still be controversial, but that's the way history is.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 10:07am

I may be traveling via, or nearly via, there later in summer, I don't know yet.  If I do I'll pop in.  If we can get better info about the object perhaps a working replica would help to convince ( I'm also sure that from what I can see it would be a good sling pocket ).  If a few slingers are travelling as far , for some, as Southhampton why not travell just a little more and visit Chesill beach, ocean smoothed rock laid out in size order, from sand to boulders and everything in between,  by the side of the sea.  Slinging ammo and range paradice.  There is even some iron ore from a shipping accident centuries ago, now nicely rounded into pebbles.  http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/chesil.htm

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 12:03pm

now that is a slingers paradise !!!!
also just about as far away from anywhere north of london as you can get :-)

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 1:48pm

In my research, I found several refernces to the Isle of Portland, and the fact that the natives are excellent slingers. One is from John Lelands Itinerary, wtitten in the 16th cent. It is a sort of travel book.
The other was a book called Polyalbion, written a century later.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)