Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Did you ever made fire with primitive friction skills?

« Created by: slingwizzy on: Mar 7th, 2007 at 5:10pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Friction fire (Read 5588 times)
slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Friction fire
Mar 7th, 2007 at 5:10pm

a vote is enough, no explanation needed. though if you have interesting story to tell about friction firemaking, dont be afraid Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Friction fire
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 7:45am

it's one of those things that most of us would like to try and yet never seem to get round to doing :-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 10:23am

I suppose it depends on the style and the weather. Like so many things, sometimes all the outside forces seem to collaberate against you.
  The best one for me is the fireplow.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 12:24am

cub scouts

we went on a trip and our leader decided he was gonna show us something that we all would be able to learn

It was quite the experience, after he made his fire we each had to make our own little personal one

Using the bow method was much quicker than trying to do it completely by hand

Ive been lighting smaller fires like that for the longest time after that Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 1:02pm

I voted for other, because I have tried to make fire with steel and flint.
But because I was in a park, a re-enactment situation, time did not allow me to expiriment a lot.
So I would get some fire from the neighbours or use modern methods when there where no visitors.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 11:28pm

i made a fire with flint - i decided to practice on a large dried flower arrangement (of pampas grass, big feathery seeds)  when i was 8. it worked, but i should have tried it outdoors said the insurance people and  my parents

sv

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 12:09pm

ah now magnifying glass and summer - must have spent hundreds of hours playing with our big glass as a kid.

Brilliant fun :-)
(unless you were an ant)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 1:13pm

Dan,
I was working part time in a park with buildings from the midstone age till about 1415 AD.
My 'job' was ropemaker, and since the ropewalk was next to the house from 800 AD that was my time.
For some photos see: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/willeke_igkt/album/576460762346831529/photo/29492880... and following.

I did it only one season, it was hard to do it, next to a full week's work, the park being over an hours travel each way.

So I was mostly in the open shed, making rope with the visitors, the rest of the time I would be in the house, but I could never leave a fire there, it would be unattended whenever I left the house, and being at floor-level all kinds of dangers could develope......so I would only make a fire in the coldest weather, me being sure to be in the house most of the day, rather than sitting out in front of it.

Magnifying glasses I have used too, but never more than scoring a hole in a piece of paper.

Willeke.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:59pm

There's a rope elephant !
Did you do that willeke ?
if so can I have one - my sister would love it !
Talk about unusual and it's her birthday in may :-)

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:57pm

i made a small fire with some crumpled news paper and a magnefying glass, does that count?

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 7:51am

nope, the question is; did you ever made fire with friction? so magnifying lenses or magnesium sticks or whatsoever, does not count...

making primitive fire in an other way is "other"

IP Logged

Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 1:21pm

The thing with the bow drill and the hand drill is to just keep at it until you get the hang of it,the bow drill being very easy to do after you get the hang of it,with my bow drills I use cotton wood for both the drill and the base board,the hand drills I have had my best luck with mule fat drills and sotol base's,and mare's tail drills and southern CA alder base.So get down on your knee's and start making some smoke Grin

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 3:39am

I was able to make fire with a bow drill twice, I suppose I would be able to do it again after some swearing Smiley.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 8:26am

magnesium sticks are definitely friction based.
Nobody stipulated the material you had to use :-) So scraping a steel blade down a stick of magnesium alloy to produce sparks is definitely friction based fire making :-)
As indeed is using matches and lighters with flint wheels that produce sparks - all friction based :-)

There was a bloke on telly the other day who used a fire plow instead of a fire bow.
I've seen ray mears do it with bamboo - but this was with wood.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:18am

Interesting ropewalk, Willeke. The nice thing about it is the ropemaker can use frayed materials to make fire with.
The best firemaker I have ever seen was a woman!
  She runs a wilderness school here in Western NY. She spent 5 years living among the aborigines of Austrailia. While the rest of us were struggling, 3 turns of the fire bow and WHOOF!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)