Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first sling experience (Read 5541 times)
Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: first sling experience
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 7:22pm

Pre-internet Cheesy probably 1962... sisal twine for cords and canvas pouch ... I wasn't very good. Didn't understand the mechanics involved..... underhanded casting  but using a rock that was  too large for the pouch so it would drop out almost any where in the windup (duck and cover) ... plus trying to use the windup to generate more speed for the cast. Sometimes the rock would go in the general direction of my target. I was good enough to hit the broad side of a barn or the ground ...but not always in that specific order...
Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:41pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1173038735/0#10 date=1173200823]so apart from me - who started slinging before the internet ?
[/quote]

My dad made me my first sling when I was still a small boy, about 50 years ago, but I never really used it.  

Did my first serious slinging about ten years later ie. in my early teens. My older sister married a guy, recently arrived from Poland, who showed me how to sling underhand. I knew that overhand was possible but whenever I tried it the stone went straight into the ground only a few metres in front of me. The last time I remember slinging I must have been in my mid twenties. I either mislaid my sling or threw it away and had not used one for many years. So much for pre-internet days.

Then sometime approx. a year ago a work associate was extolling the virtues of "Google". According to him, there is no subject so obscure that Google won't have a reference for it. I decided to try it out on "sling and slinging".  JACKPOT! Slinging.org is first and best cab on the rank.

Now I understood why my previous feeble attempts at overhand were such a failure. The sling was way TOO LONG. Many thanks to those who put instructional videos on the site; especially Dave Taylor. With his Greek overhand he always hit that bucket he was aiming at. I tried to copy his style. Success! I could actually hit things and send a golf ball the length of a soccer field.

I have since tried other styles and generally use a modified tennis serve style.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #17 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 2:12pm

First time was when i found a copy of Mr. Ballards article in my mothers copy of the Mother Earth News. This would have been early to mid 1980's. Had all sorts of problems with the figure eight style shown there.

Marc Adkins

kelthen wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 3:05pm:
when was the first time you used a sling? my first time was when i was about five and my dad made me a cloth sling to throw water balloons with.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 2:30pm

All i can say is that it was painful. Shocked

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #19 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 11:07pm

My main problem was using ammo that was way too light

Marc Adkins

[quote author=aussieslinger link=1173038735/15#16 date=1173476472][quote author=curious_aardvark link=1173038735/0#10 date=1173200823]so apart from me - who started slinging before the internet ?
[/quote]

Now I understood why my previous feeble attempts at overhand were such a failure. The sling was way TOO LONG. Many thanks to those who put instructional videos on the site; especially Dave Taylor. With his Greek overhand he always hit that bucket he was aiming at. I tried to copy his style. Success! I could actually hit things and send a golf ball the length of a soccer field.

I have since tried other styles and generally use a modified tennis serve style.

[/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

scavenger
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 6:12am

I made my first sling four or five years ago while attending an art class.
One day the teacher was sick and as a result noone was doing anything, so in a moment of inspiration
i cut two pieces of thin leather about 50 cm long/1 cm wide and sewed them on a small square piece of slightly thicker leather.
I dident make a finger loop just held it between my fingers and slung away.
I nearly killed myself with the first couple of throws slinging straigt up or barly missing the back of my own head during the windup, but eventually to my great joy i hit a roof of a small outhouse knocking a piece of the grassy earth it was covered with. i have been slinging on and of ever since Smiley

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 6:21pm

I thought I was new to slinging but I recently looked at an old book in my library which describes a sling I made 30 years ago.  After 5 loops (6" long") are made you begin a sheepshank but tie an overhand knot and place the end of the cord through all five loops and pull tight.  Repeat at other end.  I did not use it much 30 years ago.  The sling pictured here works well in the few times I have used it and a golf ball did not slip through the lines of the pouch.  I was not using full force. The name of the book is "Whittlin', Whistles and Thingamagigs" ISBN 0-8117-1882-2.  Tony

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 7:23pm

My first sling was made of the cheapest leather that could possibly be found, but I just played around as a kid. A few years back I found Jim Burdine's site and from that slinging.org as well. Now I throw 30 golf balls a day at a target for accuracy and then lob 15-20 different size and shape rocks to see how well I make adjustments with the random rocks.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #23 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:22pm

Way back around 1965...  I was a young lad of 18 who had just joined the army, and was stationed in Germany.  I had always been fascinated with weapons, and had read Tunis' "Weapons" with descriptions of slings.  I made my first one out of a leather thong and the "tongue" from an old combat boot.

My first few tries were pretty sad; into the ground, up overhead....but eventually I got pretty good.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:49pm

'bout 1952 at Waterton International Peace Park in Canada (definately pre-internet... pre a lot of other things too).  Dad taught me but didn't learn to hold and control the patch at the start of a throw until the late 80's.  Always been fascinated by the power of the thing (how far I could chuck a stone).  After the 80's amazed at how accurate the silly thing can be...

George N

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)