Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first sling experience (Read 5537 times)
kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

first sling experience
Mar 4th, 2007 at 3:05pm

when was the first time you used a sling? my first time was when i was about five and my dad made me a cloth sling to throw water balloons with.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: first sling experience
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 6:11pm

For the first time I used sling as a sling only last summer, so at the age of 20... but I remember myself in my childhood casting big things with imrovised slings, or sometimes just attaching cord (or anything else that was near) and throwing like in hammer throwing

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 7:11pm

Scouts:  circa 1950.  Told to stop by scoutmaster for fear of injury to others nearby.  As I look back, he was absolutely correct; although, at the time I remember being mifted.  Slinging was a skill I never fully developed until much later in life.  Somewhere in the middle, I used the skill quite often tossing army canteens and pyramid sinkers/bank sinkers attached to messenger lines for erecting HF antennae.  Worked very well getting dipoles high into the pines.  Using the skill alot more since retirement.  Can't think of a better way to get outdoors and stay in shape, chasing golf & tennis balls.

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

RealK
Tiro

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:20am

Just started slinging 2 months ago....thanks to this site!

MOɅΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 2:15am

Close to 2 years now. Just got a feeling to make a sling one day and don,t ask why.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:04am

I read the word "Zwille" somewhere in December, wondered what that is (never heard the word before) and looked it up on Wikipedia. It is the german word for slingshots. From there it was just a few links to slings and to Slinging.org. A few days later I braided my first sling. That was in december.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:16am

A few months ago I followed a link on the Wikipedia article on trebuchets to the article on slings, then made my first that night. 'Course it wasn't much good  Roll Eyes, and I've thrown it out, though I regret that now.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 6:10am

been thinking about this, now I'm going out again in daylight.

I reckon I made my first sling (denim with leather shoelaces) about 20 years ago - could have been a bit longer but not much. When that died I probably left it for 10 years or so before starting again with a leather pouch (leather acquired at a gamekeepers fair). Then the shoelaces died and there was another break till recently when I've been slinging fairly consistently for about 4 or five years.

It sounds like a long time but I can assure you the older you get the faster time passes.
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 7:50am

The first time I sling, an old window pane broke...(lucky)

I was using a small leather slingshot pouch to sling small stones using the helicopter style.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:51am

21/2 years ago, about.  I had been thinking about some kind of non-firearm weapon, but I didn't want to spend money on a bow and I didn't have the skills to make one.  I thought about making a sling, but didn't know how.  Googled "sling" and eventually found Jim Burdine's web site, and from there I found Slinging.org, and Dan Bollinger's and Victor Escobar's instructions on how to braid a sling.  I followed the instructions and got hooked.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:07pm

so apart from me - who started slinging before the internet ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:25pm

Embarrassed guilty

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:37pm

read about slings in various fantasy books over the years and one day last october i decided to look it up on the net. on doing so i found this website and here i am today with two slings, another half made and one more in the pipeline Grin. now all i need is for the weather to sort it's self out so i can get some proper sling time in! first time i slinged a stone i almost broke my friends car wind shield ,which was behind me! Embarrassed Grin

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 3:07pm

Without the encouragement of knowing there are other people doing this, and showing how, I never would have started slinging.  And without the 'net, I would never have met such people as I have met here.

Of course, when I was a child I read about Robin Hood, and pestered my father into getting me a bow (and he taught me to use it safely).  Had I been French instead of American (UnitedStatesian?), and watched Thierry la Fronde, I might perhaps have learned to sling instead.  But that's not the way it worked out.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:50pm

I did watch Thierry, but I still did not make a sling till I found a link to my own site here.
(I watch where the links end up, did get me to more nice sites.)

My story from there is somewhere on this forum already.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1108845459/0#0

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)