Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
instructions for crocheted slings?please?! (Read 832 times)
Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
instructions for crocheted slings?please?!
Mar 3rd, 2007 at 9:37am

hey people, i've been searching old threads and found loads of mentions of and intentions to do so but no actuall instructions! Angry( Wink)
i would love to make and own one of these so if anyone could do this i would be extremely gratefull.
P.S i can't actually crochet at the moment Embarrassed but i have a mother who is willing to teach me, god bless her! Smiley
with thanks in advance, B.P.

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re:  instructions for crocheted slings?please
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 11:32am

Basic instructions, words might not be the official crochet names.

For the loop, make a string 2 stiches wide, connect to itself at its start,
Cord, continue in 2 wide string. (If your mom does not know how to do 2 stitches wide string, start at the pocket end of the string, make a one stitch wide string long enough, and double on the way back with half stitches or whole stitches.)

When the string is long enough you start the pocket.
The first row is 2 stiches wide, because that is what your string is, now add two stitches each row till you have your pocket wide enough to your liking, now reduce the pocket by two stitches each row, till you have only two stiches left.

Now you make the release cord, two stiches wide should do.
You can also make it a single stitch wide and return to make it bigger.
If you like a release knot, make the string extra long, and tie a knot in it, or make extra stitches at the point where you want the knot. (I would tie a knot.) You can cut the extra length if it is too much.

If you add to the side, (both sides alternating,) you get a flat pocket, if you add in the middle you get a deeper pocket.

It does not matter much which stitch you use, but if you use a long stitch, you may want to add more stitches.
In my extra deep pocket I added extra depth by varying the hight of the stitches too, but that was overdoing it.

For size, take a leather pouch you like the size of, and try to copy that size.
You can also make a pouch by crochet and add cords of other string.
Success!

Willeke

PS,
Keep an eye on the shape of the pouch as you make it, it might be needed to add only one or three stitches each row.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Re:  instructions for crocheted slings?please
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:10pm

thanks willeke Smiley, very very gratefull, will give it a try as soon as i can. and if i can make it look right i may try posting it on the new pictures thread.

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)