Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
alternative finger loop thingy (Read 2580 times)
Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
alternative finger loop thingy
Mar 2nd, 2007 at 3:46pm

when I first started making slings I attached the sling to my finger in a rather interesting way. I tied a string about 6 inches long onto the end of the sling (no finger loops) and wrapped that around my finger (no tying) It worked ok but the finger loop is definitely better.
So, does anyone have different ways they have attached the sling to their finger? I remember seeing something with three finger loops in the member pic gallery.
~Admiral

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: alternative finger loop thingy
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 5:02pm

For a small sling I use for lead I attached a big button instead finger loop. I saw some slings around here with bar too.
I've found that button is somehow more comfortable than loop when using wide grip.

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:00pm

Yeah, I've seen them with a little stick tied to the retention cord before.  TechStuf made one with a grip of cocobolo (an exotic hardwood), a picture will explain it properly:

The thread about them is:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1129082617/0

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:04pm

wow  Shocked though, its easier to make just a loop Tongue

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 8:30pm

wrist straps work for me. just make a big enough loop to get your wrist through it, and hild the cord as if continuing the imaginary finger-loop.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 8:39pm

Lobohunter has tried a number of different grips, here are links to his posts where the pictures are:
I found the other two while I was looking for a picture of his adjustable toggle.  It can be used with any grip style from very narrow (Apache style as described by Forsyth), to the widest possible grip (retained cord is out past the pinky finger).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:52am

i would stick with the loop, wrist or finger.
there is probably a good reason why ancient slings haven't been found with grips or toggles. techstuf's grip is more an indication of his unusual outlook (or mental state)
sv

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:53am

actually techstuff grip was made primarily because he was using very thin cord and fairly heavy missiles, and it was better than cutting circulation off to his finger :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 1:07pm

I guess TechStuf's (or Lobohunter's) grip might be quite useful when you want to get the sling off your hand very quickly. Let's say you are a medieval warrior and you use the sling as a secondary weapon. Now your adversaries get close and you want to get rid of the sling quickly to draw your sword.

But maybe you can get rid of a wrist loop quickly, too. Until now I only tried a finger loop.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 1:31pm

I remember reading somewhere about slings that had no finger loop; they were used by weaving the end of one cord among one's fingers.  This had the advantage that one need not care which end of the sling one held in one's hand, and (with practice) the cord could be wound around the fingers as quickly as a finger loop could be slipped over a finger.  This type of sling would be faster to drop, than one with a finger loop.

Wrist loop takes about as long to get rid of, as a finger loop.  I have used both.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 2:01pm

I just tried this grip and it seems to work quite good. (I tried it with no projectile in the pouch, I just pulled at the string and did some empty throws). I wonder whether I will ever add loops to my slings again...

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 8:06pm

I have just wrapped the cord around my hand. No loops at all. I do prefer the loop though.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 8:00pm

one interesting thing about the wrist loop is not only is the grip ajustable. but allows for max wide grip. actuly out side the pinky. Also you can get the ultimate close grip release string laying right on top of retention string. this helps with some awesome consistancey as long as you put the two string the same place every time on your hand. I use the first crease of the pointer finger. this close grip I find useful when useing multiple ammo. such a 3 or 4 .50 cal balls or a few 1 ounce lead sinkers for instance.
A.C. Scott

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)