Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
weak bow backing (Read 1985 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

weak bow backing
Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:58pm

if you had a bow that wasnt quite powerful enough, and added 2 feet long, wide sticks to the middle by tieing them there, would this improve the power of the bow or not at all, oh and the bow is 4 1\2 feet long

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: weak bow backing
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 10:05pm

buger wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:58pm:
if you had a bow that wasnt quite powerful enough, and added 2 feet long, wide sticks to the middle by tieing them there, would this improve the power of the bow or not at all, oh and the bow is 4 1\2 feet long

It could possibly improve the weight of the bow (how hard it is to pull) but it's not going to get you any more power. The extra weight of the sticks cancels out any possible benefit. Not to mention that it would be extremely difficult to tie effectively.

You can try backing the bow with the cordage directly as the Inuits did, but the best solution is to be happy with one of your first bows and just move on to another one.

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 11:04pm

how would it not work, wide, flexible sticks as backing, i thought itd give it more snap

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:14am

You have a good question there, Buger.  I am not a bowyer, but I read your question and thought it might work.  You would have to try it and see.

I know that there are composite bows that have a core of wood, a belly of horn (compressible, stores energy when compressed) and a back of sinew (stretchable, stores energy when stretched).  But the belly and back are glued tightly to the wood so that they WILL compress and stretch when you draw the bow.  Otherwise they would just slide along the wood and not do any good.

It might be that extra sticks tied to your weak bow, would suffer from the same problem.  You might need to glue the extra wood to your bow.  But it seems that if you are going to go to all that trouble, and unless you just want to try it to see if (and how well) it works, it would be simpler just to take the lessons you learned from this bow, and make a better bow.

Wow, lot of advice from somebody that doesn't really know what he's talking about... Cheesy

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 6:00pm

I'd say that the bow is beyond repair.  I agree with CanDo that tying on sticks will do nothing for the power.  Dale explained it well.  It could be fixed in other ways, but it would take way more effort than it's worth. 

My advice: Make a new bow.  Follow a tutorial carefully, and don't rush it.  I'd suggest a red oak board bow.  Here is a thread about them:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1161482796

and here is an excellent tutorial (The website it is on is great for beginning bowyers)

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm

It takes a bit of time, but it is a very rewarding project, and one good bow is worth many quick ones.

CanDo and Johnny have also made this type of bow, and they turned out very well.  I made one, (CanDo and Bikewer sort of talked me into it in the thread I linked to above, and I am glad they did) and it turned out pretty well, but a little lighter than I intended (#40  instead of #45-#50).  I'm doing another once I can find another piece of red oak with good grain.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)