Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question About How Slings Work (Read 3739 times)
dsparks
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Question About How Slings Work
Feb 26th, 2007 at 7:12pm

Hi everyone. I'm new here- first post.

Its been my habit for some time to pass Sunday afternoons up on a mountain behind my house, where I usually spend a couple hours enjoying the scenery, peace and quiet, and chucking rocks off of cliffs. Its a great deal of fun to watch and listen to stones fall through about 800 feet of air before crashing into the brush. Especially when they gain enough speed to "fly," and track forward like a frisbee. This week, I was throwing for distance, and in my wishing that I could acheive greater velocity, I came to the intellectual discovery of "the sling." So now I want/need one... Smiley

In pondering how a sling works, and how I'd like to build an accurate one, I keep getting caught up on this one issue of physics:

It seems to me that, by mere mechanics, the stone would be inclined to come in contact with the released line of rope on leaving its pouch, affecting momentum and accuracy. In my slow-motion imagination of the throw being released, the stone would begin moving out of the pouch as soon as tension is released, tangent to the arc of the swing. The stone would begin moving out of the arc, and thus, toward the outer line of rope. The released end of rope, however, would take some time to accelerate toward, and past the pouch, fully freeing the stone to move into open space. Basically, that because the stone would likely push into the rope before the rope could get out of the way, there would be some friction, and maybe even deflection before the stone got into open air.

So what's the real word on this? Does this actually happen? Or does the stone pretty much take off without any interference? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks a lot!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Question About How Slings Work
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:44pm

Hi there, I see that Dale and Matthias are currently writing replies, and are doing a better job than me at explaining the actual physics, so here's my offer:
It dosn't matter, so forget about it. Physics in real life tends to be very different than textbook. For instance, if you attempt to release the sling at the exact moment that the rotation forms a line tangent to the target, you will most likely fail, whereas intution and experimentation will succeed.
When you are slinging, no, you will NOT notice the release cord getting in the way, so long as it is not very heavy or long. I would imagine that this is becasue the ammo is much heavier than the cord, and its momentum will easily brush it aside in the event of a collision with a negligible impact on the stone.

I could come up with some elaborate explanation, but not only are others currently doing so, I'd like to play 'devil's advocate' and present another side to the argument. Don't worry about it; make a simple sling out of some leather and paracord or boot laces, and just get out there and have fun. The knowledge you gain from that will be of far greater use than anything which can be conjured. Perhaps physics will be helpful in far more advanced stages.

Welcome here! Don't hesitate to try slinging, if you like throwing, you'll LOVE this. Sounds awesome to have a mountain behind your house! What part of the world would that be?

A related note: Matthias, with that lead-cored sling, did you notice this problem? I can see it becoming quite real with such a heavy sling.

Also, perhaps we need some more shots at the moment of release to see exactly what happens; I'll do my best to get some over the weekend Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:45pm

Umm scratch that about other replies... sorry....

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:46pm

Welcome to the community!  And thanks for a very good question.

The answer, of course, is ... it depends.

There are several things that affect how a projectile leaves a sling.  One of them is the orientation of the sling.  Take a look at
these photographs of one of the masters
.  He holds his sling so that the stone is oriented like a football, at the moment of release.  Therefore the stone (or snowball, in the photos) is unaffected by the release cord: the cord swings away at a 90-degree angle to the direction the projectile is moving.  Of course, the sling imparts a spin to the projectile, and in this case it is going to spin like a football or a rifle bullet.

Other orientations of the sling, produce different effects.  Sometimes you have problems.  I have had a number of throws go awry when the projectile (a tennis ball) just rolled down the release cord, as you pictured when you imagined a stone being released from a sling.  I didn't really know what was wrong, until one time when the dog had gotten the ball really muddy before bringing it back.  I had another one of those no-distance throws accompanied by a zipping sound, and when I looked at my sling the entire release cord was covered with mud on one side. When I released, the direction the ball was going, and both cords, were in the same plane.

With practice, you can put spins on the projectile that cause it to change course in flight, like a baseball pitcher throwing a curveball.  A backspin can be very satisfying to watch; I have seen tennis balls and snow balls float along, neither rising nor falling, for more than fifty feet before they slowed down and gravity took over.

Look through the forum!  Do a search on "Magnus effect", or "physics", and you will find some excellent information.  Several of the members here are engineers, and we have had some good discussions on why slings behave as they do.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:57pm

If you sling hard enough with a heavy rock, you can make the sling crack like a whip.  When that happens, it means that the end of the release cord is traveling pass the speed of sound.  So I'd think that would be fast enough to get out of the way of the rock.  Even if it doesn't, it rarely effect the flight of the rock since it is much lighter and is moving out of its way.  Some wear and tear shows on the releasecords on my slings near the pouch.  I think that means the rock rolls out of the pouch and onto some part of the cord before it leaves the sling.

Some friction is inevitable between the rock and the pouch.  That can be used to your advantage if you sling with a overhand or figure 8 style since it adds underspin to the rock and give it more lift.  Using an open grip, that is holding the cords so that there is a gap between them before release, you can position sling so that the pouch is at right angle to the flight of the rock rather than behind it.  This would eliminate the release cord getting in the way and produce spirial spin on the rock.

Some slings are design so that the cords would not get in the way:    

http://www.slinging.org/membergallery2.html

Take a look at mitch robinson's nija star multi cords design at the bottom.  

I hope that helps. Smiley

I love sling from a cliff too.  the one I go to isn't that hign, about 20 meters but slinging from there seem like I could sling much further!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 9:31pm

Well, little that I can add. First post and you've attracted replies from most of the big boys already Smiley.

It seems the experience of most slingers that after a bit the relationship of the pouch to the stone becomes very consistent, perhaps surprisingly so, and then the trick is to see how you can change it! Like many here, my 'natural' 'figure-8' puts a huge amount of back spin on the stone. I've been practising changing it so that I can throw ellipsoidal projectiles properly - and I'm getting there.

My impression is that the pouch typically 'grabs' the projectile for a time, but then the 'whip' physics takes over and most of the cord 'gets out the way' (that's er.. if it ever was in the way)Smiley.

My admiration grows for the ancient slingers, who must have mastered this at least in the neolithic or earlier. Reading the posts over the years in these forums on this kind of matter, you can see these things being rediscovered - that's fun!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 3:11am

Quote:

So what's the real word on this? Does this actually happen? Or does the stone pretty much take off without any interference? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

I have wondered the same thing myself and think you observation is probably correct. The release cord of a sling shows wear sooner than the retention cord especially at the end from the whipcracking effect and also the first few centimetres, near the pouch, from the abrasion of the stone leaving the pouch. Heavy ammunition definitely leaves the pouch quicker than light stuff which tends to hang up and so fly low and to the left, (depending on your handedness and throwing style). This would also support the theory that the stone pushes the release cord out of the way. To get the best accuacy it is necessary to select stones to be as consistent in weight as practical. However when slinging with an empty pouch the release cord still flies forward under its own momentum which would indicate that the stone assists in, but does not entirely perform, the action of opening the pouch on release.

So much for the theoretical postulations. As others have said, some slings have been built with twin release cords so that the projectile passes between them on release. But whether the efficiency gains are worth the effort and extra risk of tangling is uncertain. By far the majority of slings ar built with only a single release cord as they have been for countless millenia. Build one for yourself and experience the thrill. Sure beats throwing the rocks by hand!
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:41pm by FunSlinger »  

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:40am

Maybe I can add something to get the pro's work this out.

I recon the casting style is vitally important and almost equally the sling design.

We know that the FIG 8 creates a lot of back spin wich could point to the release cord having longer contact with the projectile since the direction of the cast, the momentum of the projectile and the momentum of the release cord are all in the same direction.

A side ways release will not be the same. The momentum of the release cord has two forces being aplied in different directions, one in the direction of the cast and one in the direction of the release cord. This can be seen in the link in one of the earlier post in this thread

I would like to know from the slingers with a big release knot if they get more stalls (knot maybe slows down the release cord) and from everybody how far from the pouch the release cord is worn and what their predominant style is.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 6:36am

I have little experience with other than braided slings with woven pockets, and some with the Balearic style split. To me these 'feel' utterly different, I suspect because the dynamics of the release are influenced by the different style of pocket. I don't know if that matches the feelings of those with wider experience?
However, I recently made an 'andean' style sling with a much lighter and more flexible pocket, this feels to me much more like the Balearic style than my other 'andean' slings which I wove to give quite stiff pockets. I think one would expect that from a comparison of weight and/or stiffness distribution in the two kinds.

Certainly I get much heavier spin with the woven pocket. Examining them, I don't find any wear at all beyond the woven part of my 'andean' slings.

All the 'andean' slings I made and still possess have tapered release cords. I think this does help with avoiding 'hang ups' - but I don't still have the other sling to compare properly, it may be mainly that I am just a little better at slinging.

Wow. Maybe it's time for the annual revival of the "Physics" thread in the Project Goliath forum?

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:22am

dsparks wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 7:12pm:
It seems to me that, by mere mechanics, the stone would be inclined to come in contact with the released line of rope on leaving its pouch, affecting momentum and accuracy. The stone would begin moving out of the arc, and thus, toward the outer line of rope. The released end of rope, however, would take some time to accelerate toward, and past the pouch, fully freeing the stone to move into open space. Basically, that because the stone would likely push into the rope before the rope could get out of the way, there would be some friction, and maybe even deflection before the stone got into open air.

You should have a perfectly balanced sling, stone and stones position on pouch to get what you have just said. In real life it (pouch together with release cord) will usually slip from under the stone to either side and so the stone will be proceeding next to release cord experiencing just tiny bits of friction

BTW Welcome! Enjoy your time here and slinging Wink

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 11:51am

Dsparks,

I need to amend my previous remarks; I should have said, "almost unaffected by the release cord."

When you release the sling, the stone/ball/whatever is exerting a large outward force on the pouch and the cords.  The release cord is whipped outward very quickly.  Of course, it has to be accelerated, and the stone can be thought of as rolling out of the pouch, and often rolling/sliding along the first several centimeters of the release cord before it can get out of the way.  I recall Yurek posted a photo of one his slings, showing the release cord frayed for a couple of centimeters past the pouch.  Yurek consistently puts a rifle-spin on his stones, and the sling orientation required for that, puts the cord as out-of-the-way as it is going to get.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 1:43pm

Dale wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:46pm:

When you are looking at Yureks photos, click on his name on the left and select to see the last 2000 post of this member.
Just look at the photos in which you can see a sling while being released.
Often in Yureks photos you will see the release string move aways at an unexpected angle, I do not know nor care why, but it might be helpfull in getting a clean release too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

dsparks
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 2:49pm

First, I appologize for being out of the loop for so long. Between work, a wife, and my infant son, I've hardly been online since I posted this.

Thank you all very much for the responses! They are a wealth of knowledge.

I built my first sling shortly after my original post, last weekend, and had a great time with it. It wasn't anything fancy: I took an old belt that I had sitting around (my father's, so significantly longer than one of my own) and I sewed cloth from an old pair of pants into the center for a pouch.

I'd have to say that I was impressed with how well a simple design like this worked- I took it up unto the mountain behind my house (which, to answer former questions, is in San Diego, California) and threw rocks for a couple of hours. I'm fairly certain that at one point, I was nearing 100 yard throws... I'll attempt to make a new pouch this weekend and try to improve.

From what I gathered as a concensus, and from my own observations, there is definitely some friction between the ammunition and the release-cord of the sling, varying according to the flexibility, weight, and length of the release cord. The weight of the ammunition, of course, must also factor-in.

I suppose its much like a bullet leaving the barrel of a gun- there is actually a great deal of friction for a bullet passing through a barrel, because of the rifling grooves: the barrel literally carves out a portion of the copper or lead in order to cause the bullet to spin, and this happens under rediculous pressures, creating quite a backlash of resistance. If you were to try to manually push a bullet through a barrel, it would prove more difficult than you'd expect. This works as sort of a flat-tax: the harder the bullet hits the grooves, the more energy is lost, but more is also present to lose (because the bullet is being pressed harder). In lighter shots, the bullet does not hit the grooves hard, but also doesn't have as much energy to lose.

So, I suppose that if a bullet loses, say 2% of its energy to the barrel, that 2% doesn't compare to the 500 ft. lbs. or so of force that it gains (for my trusty 357): I suppose a rock leaving a sling also has a proportionate "tax" on it, but of course, the energy gained far overpowers the energy lost.

Thanks again for all the great reading material guys (and ladies)! This is a great site, very friendly folks.

Happy slinging.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 3:04pm

Today I tried a new grip and had some length of the release cord in my hand (ca. 5 cm). The release cord had a knot at its end. After I fired a shot I suddenly noticed I had the release cord still in my hand, it slipped until the knot stopped it. So the release cord does not need to fly around to release the stone.

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 4:42pm

yep, it's enough of it being loose
read this thread if you are interested in slings with no-release release (Grin) cord: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1079645737

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)